Cycling an Aquarium

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fantastic article @Brew12 i have been preaching cycling with pure ammonia for many many moons. it’s the only sure way to control the cycle. great job!!

Ramsrime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff, and I have so much to learn...Q? do you cycle dry rock in RODI water or Saltwater, do you seed with a bacterial solution while you soak them? I assume you'll need circulation and proper temps right?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff, and I have so much to learn...Q? do you cycle dry rock in RODI water or Saltwater, do you seed with a bacterial solution while you soak them? I assume you'll need circulation and proper temps right?
You cycle rocks in salt water at the proper temp and with at least a little flow. The bacterial solution is optional and makes it go more quickly.

And thanks, glad you found it useful!

Joel Rodriguez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the consensus on whether or not to water change during the cycle. Yes or no and if so what percentage and frequency.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the consensus on whether or not to water change during the cycle. Yes or no and if so what percentage and frequency.
You do not need to change water. Wait until the main cycle is over. Then you will need to change out a lot of water. You want to get rid of the nitrate bulid up. If too high it can cause unwanted algae. They to shoot for 5ppm nitrate.

Joel Rodriguez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to change water. Wait until the main cycle is over. Then you will need to change out a lot of water. You want to get rid of the nitrate bulid up. If too high it can cause unwanted algae. They to shoot for 5ppm nitrate.

Thanks for the info

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys! Started a tank after 5 years. its a 20G tank.
Added water, live sand, dry rock, shrimp and Dr Tims one and only 10 days ago.
I turned the protein skimmer on for a few days then turned it off after reading it shouldn't be on during cycle.
Here is a recent picture of my tests. I am not sure why all three of my parameters are sorta high at the same time(ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate)

What do you guys think? From what I read ammonia goes down and nitrites go up and from there eventually nitrates go up.

IMG_6982.jpg

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on if i should run protein skimmer?
I have still taken out the filter socks and bubble trap sponges and carbon. No lights on either.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have still taken out the filter socks and bubble trap sponges and carbon. No lights on either.
No need to run the skimmer unless you want to break it in (grow some crud on it so it works better when you need it)
Looks like you are doing fine by your test results. It can take 3 to 8 weeks for your basic cycle to finish. Take out the shrimp. You will see the ammonia go down. With the API test it might not get to "0" as their test kit is not the best. Once it hits as low as it will go, you should see nitrite go up. You can then add a bit more shrimp or some flake food or ammonia drops to feed the ammonia consuming bacteria. Dont get carried away. You want to grow a good size population but they can only eat so much. Nitrite will keep rising. Nitrite is going to sit there seeming like forever. But dont worry. Then bingo it will drop as its converted to nitrate. Those bacteria take a bit longer to grow.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal feeling is that, unless you plan on going months without adding fish, you should run your tank while cycling the same way you do when you get fish. I feel this is especially important for new reefers. I typically recommend running a skimmer, filter socks, and lights just like you would once you add fish. Practice that maintenance and get in good habits before your fish depend on it!

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I stand now. I started running the skimmer as advised. Any other advice for now?
Water changes should wait correct?

E0577274-4933-48EB-8D2B-A50EEE785C5A.jpeg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I stand now. I started running the skimmer as advised. Any other advice for now?
Water changes should wait correct?

E0577274-4933-48EB-8D2B-A50EEE785C5A.jpeg
No ammonia, no nitrite, lots of nitrate. Pretty much where you want to be at the end of the cycle. Now would be a good time to do a large water change.

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 50% but you can do smaller or larger. Do you plan on running a refugium or algae turf scrubber?
I have the Red Sea max 20 nano so I’m restricted with what it has in the built in system. It just has a protein skimmer in the refugium and no space for anything else.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea max 20 nano so I’m restricted with what it has in the built in system. It just has a protein skimmer in the refugium and no space for anything else.
Ok, a larger water change would probably be in your best interest then.

tonyhk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sirs,

Would you suggest a mix use of bacteria brands?

I am trying to mix use of micobacter7 and biodigest. Is it beneficial?

Thanks!

Tony

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sirs,

Would you suggest a mix use of bacteria brands?

I am trying to mix use of micobacter7 and biodigest. Is it beneficial?

Thanks!

Tony
If your goal is to reduce nutrients then this mix would likely be beneficial. If you are looking to cycle and aquarium than neither of these products would be appropriate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back