Cycling and When to set up the Refugium

Vaeaelen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there!

So I just started cycling my aquarium, a fluval 123l (32.5 US Gallons), used dead rock, Caribsea Ocean Direct Natural Live Sand and a bottle of Dr Tims one and only, thrown 130 drops of Dr Tim's ammonium chloride (4 drops per gallon) and 6 days after I'm with 0 Ammonia but 2ppm Nitrite and 160+ ppm Nitrate according to API Saltwater Master Test Kit.

My first question would be: Should I wait for the Nitrite to go to 0ppm before adding the second round of Ammonia chloride? Or should I throw another 130 drops now? I understood from Dr Tim's video that you have to use the Ammonia chloride 3 times, right?

Is there any extra benefit for using additional bacteria from a different brand? would that increase the Biodiversity or are them the same kind of bacterias? I will dose Aqua Forest Live source for biodiversity purposes but was thinking if additional bacterias would be a benefit.

Second question would be, I've purchased the Refugium 500S HOB, which If I'm not wrong, accounts for 10l (10% Tank volume) and a Tunze Refugium led; When should I start using the refugium? throw the chaeto and turn on the light? I already got the Nitrate over the measurement capacity of the API Test, would the refugium be OK and prevent the full water change after the cycle is complete or installing the Chaeto now will "compete" the beneficial bacteria for the ammonia and slow the cycle?

Last Question: The main purpose of the refugium would be for copepods culture, when should I add the pods?

Thanks!

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 160 ppm nitrate, you're cycled. I used the Ocean Direct sand and I don't think I needed the Dr. Tim's, let alone another bottled bac product. If you add more ammonia, you will get more nitrate which will already need a big water change to get rid of.

Start the refugium and add pods when green algae is growing on the rocks.

As you're in London, I'd recommend buying 1kg of this rock, it bought lots of diversity including coralline algae into my tank.

1676975781495.png

OP
OP
V

Vaeaelen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply.

I was reluctant to get live rock, as I come from freshwater where I've had couple of pest outbreaks that made me restart my tanks, I decided to get sterilize on my Marine start, so, apart from a QT, avoided any item that could introduce pests, Choose the live sand after the feedback from BRSTv, but was not sure about Live rock and the chances of getting Bristleworms, aiptasia and other lovely things; What's your feedback on that rock?

Thanks!

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply.

I was reluctant to get live rock, as I come from freshwater where I've had couple of pest outbreaks that made me restart my tanks, I decided to get sterilize on my Marine start, so, apart from a QT, avoided any item that could introduce pests, Choose the live sand after the feedback from BRSTv, but was not sure about Live rock and the chances of getting Bristleworms, aiptasia and other lovely things; What's your feedback on that rock?

Thanks!

When I cycled my tank recently (see my build thread), I wanted to see what the Ocean Direct sand was capable of before I added the Dr Tim's. Unfortunately, a dodgy nitrite test kit foiled my plans.

I didn't get any pests from the live rock, but you will get them no matter how careful you are. I like the bristleworms in my tank, they churn the sand, eat detritus, don't bother anything, are self-perpetuating, and therefore free! A couple of them had a tug-of-war with an algae wafer the other day which was fun to watch :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.9%
Back