Cycling api test results

efrainrodz.94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I am cycling a biocube 29. This my 5th day. I wanna know if anyone sees ammonia spike in that test? Thank you so much!

77688566-7D56-4F59-8FE5-A161AD39FDB7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
efrainrodz.94

efrainrodz.94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you cycling? Live rock, dry rock, bottled bacteria? Did you dose ammonia or ghost feeding?
I have dry and one piece of live rock in the tank. Most of is dry rock. I added the small bottle of the fritz turbo one time and dosed start up bacteria. I added hermit crabs today and dropped some pellets and brine shrimp.
Also, my back chamber has some old biomedia in a socket that is from another tank that I have that’s been running for 2 years. I also have carbon and more biomedia balls.
Thank you for responding :)

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let your tank chill for a while longer. Don’t be adding no ammonia up to 2ppm though or any of that mess. Your mature bio media and that chunk of live rock will move things along quickly. Just wait a couple weeks. You’ll be good if the info you’ve provided is reality.

the food you’ve added and the life you’ve added so far will help the process move along. Don’t listen to anyone that says add Dr. Tim’s ammonia. That is for people using dry rock, dry sand and bottle bacteria.

there are people that keep live rock soaking for extended periods of time for later use that add a couple drops of that ammonia here and there to keep the bacteria population kicking. But they’re not spiking it to the levels of Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle “program”.

you have a piece of live rock and cycled bio media. Adding ammonia like they do in the fishless cycle would be counter intuitive

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, it can’t undo, within a couple more days those fed bacteria will be adhered to all surfaces fully immune from water changes / common reefing

there is not any more testing needed, this isn’t a peak/ trough cycle

it’s a keep this same level of prep water and source in place two more days then never look back cycle.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to add that API are notorious for confusing reefers who don’t fully understand the cycling process as well.

That is in no way intended to be rude to you by the way. It’s just the truth. It’s ok

OP
OP
efrainrodz.94

efrainrodz.94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let your tank chill for a while longer. Don’t be adding no ammonia up to 2ppm though or any of that mess. Your mature bio media and that chunk of live rock will move things along quickly. Just wait a couple weeks. You’ll be good if the info you’ve provided is reality.

the food you’ve added and the life you’ve added so far will help the process move along. Don’t listen to anyone that says add Dr. Tim’s ammonia. That is for people using dry rock, dry sand and bottle bacteria.

there are people that keep live rock soaking for extended periods of time for later use that add a couple drops of that ammonia here and there to keep the bacteria population kicking. But they’re not spiking it to the levels of Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle “program”.

you have a piece of live rock and cycled bio media. Adding ammonia like they do in the fishless cycle would be counter intuitive
Thank you so much for the info. I remember that cycling my other tank was kind of stressful as being my first tank. With this upgrade I am taking precautions because I don’t wanna go through having stressful and unstable water parameters.

I wanted to ask if it was okay to add shells and rocks from the beach to the tank? They are plain shells and the rocks are small, they are cleaned (I did before dropping into the tank).

OP
OP
efrainrodz.94

efrainrodz.94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, it can’t undo, within a couple more days those fed bacteria will be adhered to all surfaces fully immune from water changes / common reefing

there is not any more testing needed, this isn’t a peak/ trough cycle

it’s a keep this same level of prep water and source in place two more days then never look back cycle.
I see, thank you!!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank represents the most updated form of cycling for the hobby this is how it contrasts to all old cycling material still circulating on the web:

old cycling science: this tank here might not cycle within a few more days, you'd better test to make sure. we can't be sure. every reef tank has an independent cycle completion date, unlinked tank to tank. if your test kit says its not ready then it's not, old cycling science always defers to anything the test kit says at any time. prepare to buy more bottle bac if your cycle stalls.

new cycling science: your tank will in fact cycle within a few more days, and the testers most people use mislead them via misreads caused either by user error, test kit error, or inability to register precise changes in ammonia stasis. the reason every cycling chart we can possibly resource in pics, books, online articles say day ~10 is the ammonia drop date, is because that's the max wait span ammonia drop date/ or sooner. there aren't several differently-dated charts, cycling charts agree what happens in ten days + you provided bottle bacteria that exceeds those ready dates. all reef displays show such a similar, linked cycle completion date we can't find any examples of a reef cycle not completing within ten days using digital measurement means. reef tanks are linked in cycle ability because we all copy similar setup means. there is no need to test since you've copied a well-studied approach plus you used skip cycle live rock as an extra padding. we don't have to test things we're certain of. cycle stalling is a total myth made up to increase bottle bac sales.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back