Cycling DRY live rock progress thread (with photos)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked water parameters. Ammonia spiked to 2.0ppm. Still no nitrites or nitrates. Lesson so far: PATIENCE

Wow, you are very patient. I would not have expected the cycle to go this slow. I commend you.

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread, I'm following along.

I just started cycling my new tank as well. I'm starting with 50 lbs of dry rock and I seeded it with 10 lbs of Gulf Live Rock. The rock came with all kinds of life on it, thick coralline, halimeda algae, sponges, even a clam. I'm letting the die-off from the live rock start the cycle.

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it. I'm assuming u already had a decent donor colony of bacteria from your live gulf rock. I'm giving this experiment a bit longer. Going away for 2 weeks April 21 so if nothing showing after that, I'll most likely add some type of live bacteria the start the cycle. I'm giving this one more month before that just to see what happens

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really great info! I bought everything to make my own LR and hope to start making some next week. If I'm lucky It'll be ready in time to start up my new 180g DT. I'm sure I'll be referring back to this thread :)

Jackie

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going away for 2 weeks April 21 so if nothing showing after that, I'll most likely add some type of live bacteria the start the cycle. I'm giving this one more month before that just to see what happens

I hear DrTim's One and Only is probably the best.

[video=youtube_share;kPxExG-FbvI]http://youtu.be/kPxExG-FbvI[/video]

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the water again last night. Still no sign of a cycle starting. Sort of discouraging because I have read some pretty solid evidence that this is possible. Still going to give it until may, then will most likely adjust my strategy.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is your test still showing ammonia? Last I read your ammonia was 2.0ppm? I am very surprised that once you got ammonia it didn't progress the rest of the way through the cycle.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I did not know the nitrification cycle could stall like that. I thought once there was ammonia in any amount it would automatically continue through the cycle. I've been involved with salt water aquariums since 1997 and there are still new things even in the most basic aspects of the hobby that I don't completely understand. Haha, I guess you still can teach an old a new thing or two!

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha it is very weird. I do have a cover on it to help catch some of the condensation from evaporation to fall back in. But there are gaps for aeration and such. Just loosely laid on top. If I didn't have the top laid there id be topping up about a gallon a day. Maybe that's a factor? At this point I'm completely stumped. Going to give it some more time. It's a matter of principle now haha.

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to take a photo with the cover on to show you guys if I have time tomorrow. Assuming it makes any difference (I don't think it does)

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397352428.024731.jpg

That's what it looks like with the cover on it. Still plenty of gap for aeration. I do it to catch some of the evaporation and let it drip back in. Shouldn't be affecting anything but maybe someone on here knows why this cycle won't start!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dumb question but your air pump is circulating and your heater isn't too high? Assuming both of those are normal any chance some sort of antibiotic agent fell in your rock at any time. For the ammonia not to have changed I'm guessing there never were bacteria or they died before they could generate any amount of population.

lisa28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bacteria has to grow from some thing or some where, maybe try taking off the lid? Bacteria would have to be airborne, right? If it's not in the rock or in the water the air is all that's left. I don't believe in intelligent design but the big bang theory is a long shot too, something can't come from nothing. just my .02¢

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back