cycling help

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i made my mind up after last meeting(thanks to gmoney) to go ahead and start up the tank. I had intentions of having everything that i would ever need before starting(ato,vortechs,controller,supps and chemicals). Aftering work hours being cut down to bare mininum. I just want something in my empty tank. My goal is to have first fish in on my birthday next month on the 14th. Im now going bare min. and upgrading/expanding as i go.

This is where i am looking for help, i have a idea of how i can cut down cycle time(3-4weeks). My idea is to use someones water change water and live sand/live rock rubble to seed the tank. Im buying salt this week and other small things this week. I know they make rapid cycle start products, but with limited funds im hoping water change water will work. So if anyone is doing a water change in the next few weeks and no one tells me that this wont work. Then i would love to have your old water. Any ideas or help would be great.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water change water would have some bacteria in it, but the majority of bacteria is in the Rock and or sand. If you could find some one with LR to lend, that would be the best way to seed the tank. You also need a source of ammonia also to make the bacteria multiply.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just add ur salt water then get some cheap chromis or damsels. Wouldn't take many to get u started and it would be something to look at. And with 150gal tank a few small fish wont raise ur ammonia to dangerous levels and fish should be just fine. Or get some seeded rock I think bknapp had some in sell forums.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if thats the case, i have 20lbs+ of extra dry marco rock to trade and i might have to bite the bullet and spend some money to do this right. Live sand, i could buy a small bag or get a cup of live sand from someone.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea its been bugging me staring at a incomplete project with work being slow. Wishing i could get more hours to finish it the way i want it. Its still going to bug me with only fish and not all the goodies i want, but atleast i can say i own a operating saltwater tank.

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg I don't know how far you are from opryland. I have some LR in my sump we can swap out. Or I have some LR I need to take out of my display tank it has those crazy green polyps that's starting to take over. I wouldn't put this rock in the display part but in the sump. you can have this rock if you can help me take it out.
Lmk what you like to do we can do it this Sunday.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it all depends on when i get the salt, was plan on buying it from brs. But shipping it would prob be next week. I need to call AC to see what they charge for their salt, as long as its not a huge difference then i will buy it there. Sunday wont work for me(daughters birthday) saturday afternoon might be better pending work schedule.

Thanks for all the help/support from everyone so far.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i made my mind up after last meeting(thanks to gmoney) to go ahead and start up the tank. I had intentions of having everything that i would ever need before starting(ato,vortechs,controller,supps and chemicals). Aftering work hours being cut down to bare mininum. I just want something in my empty tank. My goal is to have first fish in on my birthday next month on the 14th. Im now going bare min. and upgrading/expanding as i go.

This is where i am looking for help, i have a idea of how i can cut down cycle time(3-4weeks). My idea is to use someones water change water and live sand/live rock rubble to seed the tank. Im buying salt this week and other small things this week. I know they make rapid cycle start products, but with limited funds im hoping water change water will work. So if anyone is doing a water change in the next few weeks and no one tells me that this wont work. Then i would love to have your old water. Any ideas or help would be great.
Hey Greg, I can do the Water and some Live Rock from my sump and live sand from my display if you want? Just lmk and I will get a water change ready for you to pick up all at once OK.
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to get some sand from a good tank and put it in the toe of an old pair of pantyhose. Drop that in the tank to seed it and you can remove in a few weeks If u wish. Keep in mind. If u add bacteria,either thru live rock or sand or bottle you need creatures to feed it or it will not cycle. Either way DONT RUSH IT. Let nature run its course.

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where it left off or if someone else is helping you with it, But my 180 is now rock and sand only..still running until I get time to take the rock out to let it fry. If you want some good ole heavily seeded sand I can spare a few cups to you if you need or want. It's laden with bacteria....good for seeding.

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tim's one and only is the way to go, all of my new tank setups are done with dry rock sand and fresh saltwater. It works well. Here is a link to my LED build but at the end of it page 4 you will see a two week old tank supporting 13 large tangs two pairs of clowns two bubbletip nems and a huge sebae. Not to mention multiple SPS LPS and softies.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/no.../75530-light-emitting-diodes-build-300-a.html

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what Mike and Mark just said. Dr Tims OAO is great to start a tank. Instant Ocean Bio-Spira is also a great bacteria in a bottle to use. It was also invented by Dr Tim before he left them and created his own line. My tank is 3 1/2 months old and I had fish and corals in my tank in less than a week. Cycling is greatly reduced with using either of these products. Be warned however that tank maturation is still vital before placing more sensitive coral and inverts (anemone) in your tank. Select hardy fish and coral in the beginning.

Travis D.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back