Cycling question

bcurelop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay - I have been cycling my tank for about 1 week with live rock and two clownfish and I also used Fritzyme Turbo 900 to my 60 g tank. The tank looks great and my Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite levels all read 0. Could the tank have cycled this quick (with Turbo 900) or am I just being incredibly inpatient.

Thanks and happy reefing!!

Brad

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? When you say live rock, was it transported wet from an established tank? Or dry in a box?

OP
OP
B

bcurelop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without asking any questions, I am going to recommend that you stay away from products with crazy marketing names, slogans and promises like...

Turbo 900
What test kits are you using? When you say live rock, was it transported wet from an established tank? Or dry in a box?
Using API Master Saltwater Test Kit. Rocks were dry in a box.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottled bacteria should be enough so that the cycle is already completed. Don't over feed while things settle. If you plan to have coral replace those tests with better ones before buying any.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay - I have been cycling my tank for about 1 week with live rock and two clownfish and I also used Fritzyme Turbo 900 to my 60 g tank. The tank looks great and my Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite levels all read 0. Could the tank have cycled this quick (with Turbo 900) or am I just being incredibly inpatient
Yes, Fritz turbo start added bacteria to keep ammonia from 2 fish getting out of control. 60 gallons is also a large volume for 2 small fish. Probably wouldn’t see ammonia anyway.

Dry rock out a box is NOT live rock. Rock needs to be wet in saltwater for quite awhile to be live.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent diagnostic thread

Fritz 900 is a top- working bac that's for sure/ ain't cheap

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay - I have been cycling my tank for about 1 week with live rock and two clownfish and I also used Fritzyme Turbo 900 to my 60 g tank. The tank looks great and my Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite levels all read 0. Could the tank have cycled this quick (with Turbo 900) or am I just being incredibly inpatient.

Thanks and happy reefing!!

Brad
Bottled bacteria is not the answer although you want to start the denitrification porocess with this product and Fritz is good
You want to add ammonia chloride and start to monitor. When ammonia drops to zero and stays at zero for 5 days and nitrate 20 or below- you are cycled. Important also is that you use dependable Test kits and not one like API or a badge that delivers false readings.
Typical cycle is 14-21 days.
Adding Micro Bacter 7 or better yet Micro Bacter XLM will support the denitrification process as well

OP
OP
B

bcurelop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Fritz turbo start added bacteria to keep ammonia from 2 fish getting out of control. 60 gallons is also a large volume for 2 small fish. Probably wouldn’t see ammonia anyway.

Dry rock out a box is NOT live rock. Rock needs to be wet in saltwater for quite awhile to be live.
Thanks for your response. I think my response about the rock was confusing. It was in water at the LFS and they transported it in a box for the install. It was in saltwater at the LFS and is covered in a purple reddish color. I just meant it wasn't out of an established aquarium, but it wasn't the white dry rock that came out of a box. Thanks again for your responses.

OP
OP
B

bcurelop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottled bacteria should be enough so that the cycle is already completed. Don't over feed while things settle. If you plan to have coral replace those tests with better ones before buying any.
Any recommendations on the test kits I should get? Do you recommend the digital tests? What do you test for on the corrals. I know alkalinity, Calcium and Mg. Are there any other tests you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycled. Sounds like the live rock was indeed live rock and it wouldn't matter anyway since you used Fritzyme.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna - alk, low range PO4, high range NO3
Salifert - calcium
Aquaforest - Mg

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on the test kits I should get? Do you recommend the digital tests? What do you test for on the corrals. I know alkalinity, Calcium and Mg. Are there any other tests you recommend? Thanks for your help
Everyone gives API tests a bad reputation. I used them for years. So if you’re just starting this reefing journey, they will work. Can always try out a different test kit when you’ve used up the API.

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottled bacteria is not the answer although you want to start the denitrification porocess with this product and Fritz is good
You want to add ammonia chloride and start to monitor. When ammonia drops to zero and stays at zero for 5 days and nitrate 20 or below- you are cycled. Important also is that you use dependable Test kits and not one like API or a badge that delivers false readings.
Typical cycle is 14-21 days.
Adding Micro Bacter 7 or better yet Micro Bacter XLM will support the denitrification process as well
I was always told by many people that API is a good test kit. What do you recommend Hannah?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back