Cycling Reefmat on and off

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scottm032
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Scottm032

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2019
Messages
46
Reaction score
45
Location
Ormond Beach
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been uncomfortable with my nutrient levels being so low so this morning I decided to turn off my Reefmat at night. I am gonna start with a 12 on 12 off cycle and see what effect that has on my nutrients as well as detritus build up in my sump. It is already plugged into my Apex so I labeled it a light and set the schedule. Easy enough.

My main question has anyone else had success with doing this?
 
I have been uncomfortable with my nutrient levels being so low so this morning I decided to turn off my Reefmat at night. I am gonna start with a 12 on 12 off cycle and see what effect that has on my nutrients as well as detritus build up in my sump. It is already plugged into my Apex so I labeled it a light and set the schedule. Easy enough.

My main question has anyone else had success with doing this?
I haven't seen it done by I'm sure it will work as intended. Do you have a skimmer or other nutrient export? Reason I ask is I also had zero/low nutrients and just turned off my skimmer to fix the issue. I also run a reefmat.

Another option to consider is to have some of your water bypass the reefmat with a fitting so not all of your water is being polished.
 
I did it for a while when my NO3 and PO4 bottomed out. I'm back to running it 24/7 now that I have levels detectable and stable. I had to dose N and P off and on. I started dosing bacto balance daily and bacteria bi weekly for the last few months. N and P are staying low but detectable. I am no longer running a skimmer on that tank.
 
I haven't seen it done by I'm sure it will work as intended. Do you have a skimmer or other nutrient export? Reason I ask is I also had zero/low nutrients and just turned off my skimmer to fix the issue. I also run a reefmat.

Another option to consider is to have some of your water bypass the reefmat with a fitting so not all of your water is being polished.
I’m not up for the plumbing included in the bypass. I’ll see how this goes and I can cycle the skimmer of/on if needed. I never had such a clean sump before the reefmat. If it gets dirty I can always switch tactics.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new