Cycling rocks for upcoming tank

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you all. I ordered a CDA 225g last week and already purchased all the rocks to design and build my aquascape. Being that there is a 3-4mo lead time on the tank/stand I want to have the rocks cycling and ready to be used when it all arrives.

My question has to do with temperature. I live in South Florida and would rather keep the brutes/tottes with rocks/water in garage however water temperature gets to be about 80-90 depending on the day. Would this pose an issue for bacteria and any fish that deals with those temps?

Thanks!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you all. I ordered a CDA 225g last week and already purchased all the rocks to design and build my aquascape. Being that there is a 3-4mo lead time on the tank/stand I want to have the rocks cycling and ready to be used when it all arrives.

My question has to do with temperature. I live in South Florida and would rather keep the brutes/tottes with rocks/water in garage however water temperature gets to be about 80-90 depending on the day. Would this pose an issue for bacteria and any fish that deals with those temps?

Thanks!
Speaking just for the nitrifiers, chances are they'd be even happier at these higher temperatures. :)

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
80 is good, but as the temp goes up, dissolved oxygen goes down. Bad for bacteria, because they burn up O2. For the next few months, you should be fine. I live in Southwest Florida, and my garage hasn't seen over 80 for a while, and actually gets cool overnight.

The bigger question is are you cycling or curing your rock? If curing, hotter is gooder. When im curing rock, i put the rocks in Brutes outside in summer.

Also, i dont cycle tanks anymore. I cure the rock set up the tank and aquascape, add hardy stony coral (not Zoas or Palys,) and one good piece of established live rock, and some Dr Tims and Micobacter 7, then add the fish later.

Unlike fish, corals not only dont mind ammonia, they will use it. Plus corals are covered in nitrifying bacteria as well. And if the test cora at the start do well, add more. And if you run the tank fallow for a few months, any spores of ich, velvet, etc that may come on the corals will run their life cycle and be gone by the time you add fish. Maintain water paramaters, including phosphate and nitrate (even if you dose them directly with NeoPhos and NeoNitrate, which is a clean source of phosphate and nitrate) and you will be good to go.

Totally understand though if you are not comfortable with this. Most folks stick to the old long cycle method.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
I don't live in Florida. However, I took my rocks and put them in buckets with a heater and a powerhead. I used water changes from my existing tank. I dosed with Brightwell's MicroBacter7 2 times a week. I did water changes once per month. When I started up the new tank, I placed the rocks appropriately for aquascape. In some cases I already glued rocks together and placed them in the buckets.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back