Cycling tank need help

reefscaper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice. I just purchased a 120 and need to move my corals from a 46 to the120. What is the cycling process? How long before I can move corals and fish? The tank was salt but not a reef. What about washing and moving sand? Thanks in advance for your advice

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice. I just purchased a 120 and need to move my corals from a 46 to the120. What is the cycling process? How long before I can move corals and fish? The tank was salt but not a reef. What about washing and moving sand? Thanks in advance for your advice
Are you going to use the rock and or sand from the 46 to seed the 120 ? If you carefully remove all contents of your 46 and have the 120 ready with enough new water to add to what you removed from the 46 you can most likely get by with a small cycle that will last only a short time before all returns to normal. The one thing i suggest is leave the sand from the 46 and add new sand to the 120 and just seed it with some rinsed sand from the 46 (Rinsed in saltwater) to prevent any spikes from disturbing the old sand bed. If you have any specific questions PM me and I can give you my cell # and walk you through this process.
Bill

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back