Cycling with Dr Tims one and only

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

So i am about to start the cycle on my waterbox Frag 145. Ive purchased the Dr Tims one and only but didnt realise i also needed the ammonia chloride product as well.

i have live sand and also Carribsea life rock which im aware also already has bacteria on it.

Now can i skip the ammonia chloride part and simply just ghost feed the tank to give the bacteria an ammonia source before i add a couple of clowns? Any information would be awesome.

Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use food or ammonium chloride. The ammonium chloride is just quicker and easier to track and doesn't add phosphate. You could put a cube of mysis or something in the filter sock

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

So i am about to start the cycle on my waterbox Frag 145. Ive purchased the Dr Tims one and only but didnt realise i also needed the ammonia chloride product as well.
If you can return Dr. Tim's, I'd suggest returning it. Since the start of last year when I came back to the hobby, I have seen a single post about it working, and about a hundred where it did not.
i have live sand and also Carribsea life rock which im aware also already has bacteria on it.
There are doubts about whether they really help, though I'd think they may be able to at least seed the tank somewhat, hopefully, with some nitrifiers.
Now can i skip the ammonia chloride part and simply just ghost feed the tank to give the bacteria an ammonia source before i add a couple of clowns? Any information would be awesome.
I would recommend getting ammonium chloride and using it if you can. Ghostfeeding is not a good way to cycle, as it promotes the growth of non-nitrifying heterotrophs, which more than likely will outcompete the nitrifiers and make things slower.

Some people don't care because they can also consume ammonia (a lot of microorganisms actually can), but it would be for growth (i.e. as a nitrogen source) rather than respiration (as an energy source), thus causing bacterial blooms and all that. Nitrifiers on the other hand efficiently oxidize ammonia and nitrite, so preferably we'd grow them rather than other microorganisms, and that would be by ammonia-dosing rather than ghostfeeding.
Yw.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can return Dr. Tim's, I'd suggest returning it. Since the start of last year when I came back to the hobby, I have seen a single post about it working, and about a hundred where it did not.

There are doubts about whether they really help, though I'd think they may be able to at least seed the tank somewhat, hopefully, with some nitrifiers.

I would recommend getting ammonium chloride and using it if you can. Ghostfeeding is not a good way to cycle, as it promotes the growth of non-nitrifying heterotrophs, which more than likely will outcompete the nitrifiers and make things slower.

Some people don't care because they can also consume ammonia (a lot of microorganisms actually can), but it would be for growth (i.e. as a nitrogen source) rather than respiration (as an energy source), thus causing bacterial blooms and all that. Nitrifiers on the other hand efficiently oxidize ammonia and nitrite, so preferably we'd grow them rather than other microorganisms, and that would be by ammonia-dosing rather than ghostfeeding.

Yw.
I've actually already put the Dr Tim's into the tank.

I ended up ordering some ammonium chloride so that will hopefully be here on Tuesday possibly So will be able to get the cycle going then

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've actually already put the Dr Tim's into the tank.

I ended up ordering some ammonium chloride so that will hopefully be here on Tuesday possibly So will be able to get the cycle going then
You will be fine. Bottled bacteria has it's benefits. I've cycled 4 tanks myself and helped a couple friends cycled their tanks with DR. Tim's One and Only. Always worked as advertised for me.

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All bottled bacs seem to do the job, I also used Dr. Tim's and everything went well.

You can really track the cycle with ammonia chloride because you know how much you put in to start with. If ghost feeding, it's harder to see the natural ammonia production/consumption through your tests. Also, don't expect the cycle to follow their timeline. It's crazy they think a natural cycle can be so predictable.

Forscythe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday 3/3, I started up my Fluval Evo 5 and added One and Only hoping to speed up the cycle. After 24 hours, I tested with an API kit and it said ammonia is at 1ppm.

I started with dry rock and plain aragonite substrate. I haven't added anything else to the tank besides Dr Tim's.

I plan to test everyday to see how long the process take while using only this product.

I'll report my findings and hopefully we'll see how it works

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday 3/3, I started up my Fluval Evo 5 and added One and Only hoping to speed up the cycle. After 24 hours, I tested with an API kit and it said ammonia is at 1ppm.

I started with dry rock and plain aragonite substrate. I haven't added anything else to the tank besides Dr Tim's.

I plan to test everyday to see how long the process take while using only this product.

I'll report my findings and hopefully we'll see how it works
Couple things to consider. If the ammonia has not changed in 24 hrs a) Dr Tim’s is slow out of the gate, b) the bottle is a dud, maybe it was frozen, or c) a testing error. As a comparison, BioSpira consumes ammonia completely in a couple of days.

GeneralGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things to consider. If the ammonia has not changed in 24 hrs a) Dr Tim’s is slow out of the gate, b) the bottle is a dud, maybe it was frozen, or c) a testing error. As a comparison, BioSpira consumes ammonia completely in a couple of days.
The biospira consuming ammonia completely in a couple day , is that good or bad ? I'm new my self to salt , so I'm curious.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biospira consuming ammonia completely in a couple day , is that good or bad ? I'm new my self to salt , so I'm curious.
Welcome to saltwater aquarium keeping!

BioSpira is a product which contains nitrifying bacteria. When it is dosed to an aquarium and the added ammonium disappears, it means the bacteria are working to remove toxic ammonia from the aquarium. Anything that “eats” in an aquarium excretes ammonia and that must be gotten rid of or it can build up and kill everything. It’s the same for freshwater aquaria.

GeneralGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to saltwater aquarium keeping!

BioSpira is a product which contains nitrifying bacteria. When it is dosed to an aquarium and the added ammonium disappears, it means the bacteria are working to remove toxic ammonia from the aquarium. Anything that “eats” in an aquarium excretes ammonia and that must be gotten rid of or it can build up and kill everything. It’s the same for freshwater aquaria.
Thanks for the welcome , I've been fish keeping ..freshwater for many many year just never Salt . So not sure of things lol , I used a bottle of BioSpira my self on the 26th of Feb . Started my tank on the 12th though and dropped in a cube of Mysis Shrimp as I was told by a LFS. Went to get RO to top off , from a different LFS . I was told doing it with the Mysis wouldn't really do much, just use bottle bac . I had ordered a Redsea Marine care test kit that finally came in yesterday. First time using RedSea , ammonia read 0.2 , not sure if that was bad or ok . I'm still reading a lot and watching videos just to see and learn. I know I'm not supposed to go off of everything I read or see haha . Again thanks for the feedback much appreciated.

Forscythe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for letting me know. The bottle was refrigerated at the store but hopefully never frozen. I guess at the least, this will be a good product test.

Forscythe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Dr. Tim's happens to be ineffective. Is it OK to get a different brand so use? Or should I just grab another bottle of Dr Tim's?

I know it's bacteria, but wasn't sure if products could be mixed.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update on my cycle...

I dosed ammonium chloride from Dr tims, and also added the big bottle of one and only which now takes the bacteria to more than was needed.

Once adding the Ammonium chloride, it took my ammonia to between 1.2 and 2 ppm so i left it at that just incase i ended up adding too much.

Today is the 4th day of cycling after the ammonium chloride (the cycle did technically start few days before this by ghost feeding and one and only). However, the ammonia isnt budging from 1.2

Current parameters
Ammonia - 1.2
Nitrite 0.05
Nitrate - 5

Correct me if im wrong, but with the presence of nitrate this means the tank is on its way to cycling as its able to convert down to nitrate. Im just confused why the ammonia level isnt changing? Im in no rush for this to cycle but just want to know im on the right track.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Dr. Tim's happens to be ineffective. Is it OK to get a different brand so use? Or should I just grab another bottle of Dr Tim's?

I know it's bacteria, but wasn't sure if products could be mixed.
The products can be mixed

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update on my cycle...

I dosed ammonium chloride from Dr tims, and also added the big bottle of one and only which now takes the bacteria to more than was needed.

Once adding the Ammonium chloride, it took my ammonia to between 1.2 and 2 ppm so i left it at that just incase i ended up adding too much.

Today is the 4th day of cycling after the ammonium chloride (the cycle did technically start few days before this by ghost feeding and one and only). However, the ammonia isnt budging from 1.2

Current parameters
Ammonia - 1.2
Nitrite 0.05
Nitrate - 5

Correct me if im wrong, but with the presence of nitrate this means the tank is on its way to cycling as its able to convert down to nitrate. Im just confused why the ammonia level isnt changing? Im in no rush for this to cycle but just want to know im on the right track.
Unfortunately, the presence of nitrite makes the nitrate test read high. There might be very nitrate.

The presence of nitrite means ammonia is being consumed by the nitrifying bacteria. The fact that the ammonia is not zero after 4 days means the nitrifying bacteria in Dr Tim’s are not particularly active. You can wait and see what happens before trying another product.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the presence of nitrite makes the nitrate test read high. There might be very nitrate.

The presence of nitrite means ammonia is being consumed by the nitrifying bacteria. The fact that the ammonia is not zero after 4 days means the nitrifying bacteria in Dr Tim’s are not particularly active. You can wait and see what happens before trying another product.
Thats actually 2 separate bottles of Dr Tim's as well from 2 different stores. What's the chances of 2 bottles not being active?

If this doesn't work I'm just going to wait it out as don't feel like I want to spend any more money on "bacteria in a bottle".

Tank was started with carribsea live sand and life rock so thought the bacteria would be a nice boost

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats actually 2 separate bottles of Dr Tim's as well from 2 different stores. What's the chances of 2 bottles not being active?

If this doesn't work I'm just going to wait it out as don't feel like I want to spend any more money on "bacteria in a bottle".

Tank was started with carribsea live sand and life rock so thought the bacteria would be a nice boost
Not sure how good live sand is in helping start an aquarium. Life rock might not mean anything though. Anyway, if your system had a nitrifying bacteria, ammonia would not be hanging around. Some might blame the test accuracy.

I have read about slow starts with Dr. Tim’s. Had a completely dead bottle myself. Could have froze during shipping. Did not bother to find out. Went with BioSpira after that and have had no issues since.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used Brightwell process, just did it on my new 300. Microbacter quick cycl, Microbacter start XLM, and then to Microbacter clean and Bio Fuel....
Brightwell also stats that using bottle bacteria and the use of live rock may sometime cause a problem with the cycle or stall it cause there may be two different strains of bacteria and they compete. They suggest not to use live rock or sand.
I been reading that live sand sometimes also is dead... I had a 140 I started with live sand and it took forever to start the cycle so I just added Brighwell as I figured the live sand was dead and cycled in 7 days..the 300 cycled in about 7 days too

Forscythe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Dr. Tim's experiment.
48 hours after adding One and Only to the Fluval Evo 5, the test results are :

Ammonia - 1.5 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5 ppm

Ammonia went up a little but at least there's signs of nitrates.
No matter how long you've been in this hobby, I'm still so impatient lol.

Back