Cycling

  • Thread starter Thread starter jrhorn44
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jrhorn44

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2018
Messages
30
Reaction score
12
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my question: can I do a water change to speed up my nitrite to nitrate process?

Details: fishless cycle with bacteria, my ammonia is 0ppm, nitirite >5ppm, nitrate 10-15ppm

I started with 1ppm ammonia and it went down to .5 so I dosed it back up to 2 ppm and it is now 0 after 5-6 days. I’ve lost count but it’s probably been 12 days total on my cycle.

Was wanting to get fish this weekend. I know I’m being impatient lol. Please ruin my hopes and dreams and tell me I have 2 more weeks before I can get fish.
 
Ammonia zero and you have nitrates!
What concerns you? Nitrites? I don’t even measure that anymore.
Sounds like an intial cycle to me.
Time for a couple of fish.
I like the way you think. I was concerned my nitrites were too high right now as it’s showing above 5.
 
IMO, there is no concern about nitrite before adding fish. It takes hundreds of ppm of nitrite to kill a fish in seawater.

That is very different than freshwater, which is where nitrite concerns come from, and it is toxic at low levels.

Only reason to measure nitrite, IMO, is to make sure you are not getting false high nitrate readings during cycling. A few ppm nitrite can read as more than a hundred ppm of nitrate with some kits.
 
in the name of science, I added one fish to test and 3 days later, everything seems to be visually happy eating. Not sure if I’d ever test for nitrites again.

Thanks all!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new