Cycling

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you cycle your tank. Apparently I'm doing it wrong help please. I used this bottle. And I need to buy ammonia chloride. Will my bacteria I already added in be dead in 2 days?
20180308_170715.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you cycle your tank. Apparently I'm doing it wrong help please. I used this bottle. And I need to buy ammonia chloride. Will my bacteria I already added in be dead in 2 days?
20180308_170715.jpg
Nah, those bacteria can survive in the bottle for over a year. A few months in the tank without food won't hurt them at all, they just won't reproduce.

I put this together awhile ago about cycling aquariums. Hopefully you will find it useful.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cycling-an-aquarium.303/

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't need to add ammonia chloride?
I like to add the ammonia chloride to make sure that the bacteria I added was healthy in the bottle. It is a very good verification step to make sure you didn't get a bad batch of bacteria. It will also act as food to start getting the bacteria reproducing as an added benefit.

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to add the ammonia chloride to make sure that the bacteria I added was healthy in the bottle. It is a very good verification step to make sure you didn't get a bad batch of bacteria. It will also act as food to start getting the bacteria reproducing as an added benefit.
Good thing I ordered it

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do plus the reef test kit. I know it's the cheapest of the tests but it was my budget
I know API gets a bad rap, but I like their test kits for cycling a tank. Cheap and easy.

What I recommend is to dose enough ammonia chloride to get your tank up to 2ppm. Test ammonia after you add it to make sure you know what the level actually is. Most people overdose the ammonia because they overestimate their tank volume. For instance, my 187g tank actually holds under 170g of water so keep that in mind.
24 hours after you add the ammonia chloride test ammonia again. If it has gone down but still not 0ppm go ahead and test nitrites. If it hasn't gone down just wait a day and test ammonia again. Its really an easy process but even with Biospira can still take patience.

And keep asking questions!

OP
OP
mandi29221

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know API gets a bad rap, but I like their test kits for cycling a tank. Cheap and easy.

What I recommend is to dose enough ammonia chloride to get your tank up to 2ppm. Test ammonia after you add it to make sure you know what the level actually is. Most people overdose the ammonia because they overestimate their tank volume. For instance, my 187g tank actually holds under 170g of water so keep that in mind.
24 hours after you add the ammonia chloride test ammonia again. If it has gone down but still not 0ppm go ahead and test nitrites. If it hasn't gone down just wait a day and test ammonia again. Its really an easy process but even with Biospira can still take patience.

And keep asking questions!
I appreciate your advice I truly do. I had a 55g in 2011 till 2014 but my uncle set up my entire tank n did everything til I learned. I had a very basic tank canister filter etc. So I'm basically a beginner

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your advice I truly do. I had a 55g in 2011 till 2014 but my uncle set up my entire tank n did everything til I learned. I had a very basic tank canister filter etc. So I'm basically a beginner
Everyone starts as a beginner! ;)
I'm not very experienced myself, I'm just a book nerd. You've had aquariums longer than I have!

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also use both when cycling a tank. I just test once a week to save on test kit supplies. I wait until I see brown diatoms starting and then add a few snails. I never cycle with fish. Good luck, Mandi, with your new tank! Be patient. It will cycle. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back