Cyphastrea dead or dying?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cyphastrea meteor shower but it has lost all of it’s colour. It was starting to lose it’s colour and becoming pale so I put it in the shade and now it looks like this. I’m wondering if my lights are set too strong because I have had to move a few corals from the sandbed into complete shade from getting pale. Does this look like it was from the light? Is it completely done or recoverable?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got bubble algae all over that sucker. Bubble algae will irritate corals. Try to get them off. These can go anywhere from medium light to low light. How long has it been in your tank? They lose color at first then after a month or more they will color up. They get tank and light shock big time

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got bubble algae all over that sucker. Bubble algae will irritate corals. Try to get them off. These can go anywhere from medium light to low light. How long has it been in your tank? They lose color at first then after a month or more they will color up. They get tank and light shock big time
I have had it for about a month now. I’ll try to get the bubble algae off. I’ve just had some issues with my light irritating corals and making them close if even on the sand bed. So I’m wondering if it is because of too much light.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights you using? Cyphastrea should be fine anywhere from middle to low. They will turn brownish grey at first then start to color up. Also what are your parameters. Generally speaking it can be hard to give corals to much light. They get pounded by the sun everyday in the wild and thatsprob more intense then what your throwing at them. Might be something else irritating them

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights you using? Cyphastrea should be fine anywhere from middle to low. They will turn brownish grey at first then start to color up. Also what are your parameters. Generally speaking it can be hard to give corals to much light. They get pounded by the sun everyday in the wild and thatsprob more intense then what your throwing at them. Might be something else irritating them
I’m using ai primes. I’ll keep it back out in the light. My parameters are all in a good range- don’t have them with me right now. If anything the phosphate/nitrate may be a bit high right now due to the bryopsis treatment killing off algae

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know much about briopsos treatment but if its killing off algae might be affecting the algae in the corals. Corals might get a little ticked until you skim that crap out

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back