D

pakolmoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2024
Messages
57
Reaction score
33
Location
Valencia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired this Chaetodontoplus duboulayi, which subsequently developed lymphocystis. The lymphocystis is now almost completely resolved, and the fish has otherwise been recovering well.


However, yesterday I noticed unilateral corneal cloudiness, and today both eyes have become significantly cloudy. The fish appears to have impaired or almost completely lost vision.


There is no obvious exophthalmia or hemorrhaging, and it is still breathing normally. I would like to know what the most likely differential diagnoses would be (e.g. bacterial keratitis, secondary infection, trauma, chemical irritation, etc.) and what treatment protocol you would recommend.


Would you recommend a short kanamycin bath, and if so, what concentration and duration would you use? Would you return the fish to the main quarantine system after the bath, or would you recommend maintaining it in a separate hospital tank for the entire course of treatment?


Any advice regarding the safest and most effective treatment would be greatly appreciated.

 
I recently acquired this Chaetodontoplus duboulayi, which subsequently developed lymphocystis. The lymphocystis is now almost completely resolved, and the fish has otherwise been recovering well.


However, yesterday I noticed unilateral corneal cloudiness, and today both eyes have become significantly cloudy. The fish appears to have impaired or almost completely lost vision.


There is no obvious exophthalmia or hemorrhaging, and it is still breathing normally. I would like to know what the most likely differential diagnoses would be (e.g. bacterial keratitis, secondary infection, trauma, chemical irritation, etc.) and what treatment protocol you would recommend.


Would you recommend a short kanamycin bath, and if so, what concentration and duration would you use? Would you return the fish to the main quarantine system after the bath, or would you recommend maintaining it in a separate hospital tank for the entire course of treatment?


Any advice regarding the safest and most effective treatment would be greatly appreciated.

Quarantine for thus fish is essential and may be bacterial or even flukes especially if with both eyes affected. Other fish may show no signs. Suggested is PraziPro dosed at 85% of recommended dosage and allow it to work for 7 days, change water and apply one more application lasting 7 days and do add an air stone as Prazi lowers both oxygen and appetite
 
Upvote 0
I recently acquired this Chaetodontoplus duboulayi, which subsequently developed lymphocystis. The lymphocystis is now almost completely resolved, and the fish has otherwise been recovering well.


However, yesterday I noticed unilateral corneal cloudiness, and today both eyes have become significantly cloudy. The fish appears to have impaired or almost completely lost vision.


There is no obvious exophthalmia or hemorrhaging, and it is still breathing normally. I would like to know what the most likely differential diagnoses would be (e.g. bacterial keratitis, secondary infection, trauma, chemical irritation, etc.) and what treatment protocol you would recommend.


Would you recommend a short kanamycin bath, and if so, what concentration and duration would you use? Would you return the fish to the main quarantine system after the bath, or would you recommend maintaining it in a separate hospital tank for the entire course of treatment?


Any advice regarding the safest and most effective treatment would be greatly appreciated.


Is the fish still able to feed?

Since it’s a newer acquisition, and given the species involved, one rule out to consider here is Neobenedenia flukes. I just posted an article on this topic here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neobenedenia-the-eye-fluke.1229/
 
Upvote 0
Yesterday it ate despite having one affected eye, but today both eyes are affected. It can’t see and is unable to find the food.
 
Upvote 0
Yesterday it ate despite having one affected eye, but today both eyes are affected. It can’t see and is unable to find the food.

Well, I’d give the fish a five minute freshwater dip - dead flukes at the bottom of the container will tell you if it is Neobenedenia or not.the fish should be relatively easy to capture….

For a bilateral eye infection caused by something else - that’s quite rare. The vast majority of bacterial eye infections in fish are caused by injury, and it is rare for a fish to get an injury on both eyes at once.

Here is a basic primer I wrote on fish eye health:

https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-the-eyes-have-it-a-review-of-eye-health-in-aquarium-fishes/
 
Upvote 0
Bueno, yo sumergiría el pez en agua dulce durante cinco minutos; los parásitos muertos en el fondo del recipiente te indicarán si se trata de Neobenedenia o no. El pez debería ser relativamente fácil de capturar...

Una infección ocular bilateral causada por otra razón es bastante rara. La gran mayoría de las infecciones oculares bacterianas en peces se deben a lesiones, y es raro que un pez sufra una lesión en ambos ojos al mismo tiempo.
 
Upvote 0
Okay, I’m going to give it a freshwater dip to rule out flukes.


The eyes actually look very cloudy and white to me. Would kanamycin be an appropriate treatment?
 
Upvote 0
Okay, I’m going to give it a freshwater dip to rule out flukes.


The eyes actually look very cloudy and white to me. Would kanamycin be an appropriate treatment?

Yes - if you rule out flukes, I would treat with kanamycin.
 
Upvote 0
Sí, si se descartan las trematodos, yo trataría con kanamicina.

Yes - if you rule out flukes, I would treat with kanamycin.
Okay, thank you very much. I’ve just set up a quarantine tank with clean water, a bag of mature Siporax, and Kanaplex, and I’ve introduced the fish.


According to the Kanaplex instructions, I should add one measure for every 20 liters of water every 48 hours. I’m thinking of doing a 75% water change before adding the medication again. The instructions recommend three consecutive doses, 48 hours apart.
 
Upvote 0
Okay, thank you very much. I’ve just set up a quarantine tank with clean water, a bag of mature Siporax, and Kanaplex, and I’ve introduced the fish.


According to the Kanaplex instructions, I should add one measure for every 20 liters of water every 48 hours. I’m thinking of doing a 75% water change before adding the medication again. The instructions recommend three consecutive doses, 48 hours apart.

Did you do a FW dip to rule out flukes?
 
Upvote 0
Sí, si se descartan las trematodos, yo trataría con kanamicina.
Yes, I gave it a freshwater dip, but no flukes came out. Before introducing it into the quarantine tank, I examined it carefully and noticed that both eyes are completely cloudy/white. It appears to have a severe infection. That’s why I decided to start treatment with kanamycin promptly, because I’ve read that the infection can potentially spread to the brain and become fatal.
 
Upvote 0

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new