d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL Flow Meter installed. Installed on the return line.
It's the thing with the orange wire coming out of the top.
Now I know that I'm getting a disappointing 600gph out of my Ecotech Vectra L1 running at 100% power. :oops:

I know the feeling... Im only getting 1600 lph out of my RD3 at 70w and it maxes out at 80w.

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this is about 2250 l/ph.
Max output of the L1 is 3000 GPH.
Can you say "restriction"? :rolleyes:

Would love to compare flow rates on a similar setup using tubing but that's too much work to swap everything out lol.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a restriction does the flow sensor create?
Hardly anything at all, even with the drop in I.D. for that little bit.
I installed it and started it up and the valve on my drain didn't really need any adjustment.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardly anything at all, even with the drop in I.D. for that little bit.
I installed it and started it up and the valve on my drain didn't really need any adjustment.
In thinking about it, it's length x restriction to come up with the total resistance. For instance, 3 feet of 3/4" pipe offers much more resistance than a 3/4" oriface. :)

Pandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's some drop in flow :eek: I only run my M1 at 50% so god knows what that's at - should I get a Profilux 4 just to check it?

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, what size pipe is your return? I feel like that amount of restriction could make me want to replumb, to accommodate more flow

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, what size pipe is your return? I feel like that amount of restriction could make me want to replumb, to accommodate more flow
1 inch red pvc, but 1" barbs are like 1/2" I.D. so those are sucking up a bunch I'm sure.
And then once it gets inside the overflow, it splits into two 1/2" returns.

I'm going to replumb to get rid of the barbs. Going to start working on a parts list tonite.

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went up a size from the outlet of my return pump (1.5" on a Dart). Getting down into the 3/4 to 1 inch area will increase resistance quickly. Especially through valves etc.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 inch red pvc, but 1" barbs are like 1/2" I.D. so those are sucking up a bunch I'm sure.

I'm going to replumb to get rid of the barbs. Going to start working on a parts list tonite.
I'm sure you will, but that's good to know I may have to rethink my barbs as well.

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My ELOS Midi came with the same 20mm to 3/4" hose barb. I ended up purchasing a 3/4" hose barb and it fits snug(Yet to do a leak test, though. The tank came with a roll of thread sealing tape)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, update on the plumbing...

All barb connectors are gone.
I'm now 1" straight from the pump to the 3/4 adaptor at the overflow, except for two little 3/4" bushings on each end of the .98" flow sensor that were needed to convert to Imperial sizing.

I've gone from an average of 2250/lph to around 2450/lph or 590 gph to 650 gph.
So i removed what I would feel is a lot of restriction but didn't gain much.
The overflow itself is a bottle neck.
And what I didn't realize (or forgot about) is that if you don't use the 1" blue collar on the L1, the actual output is 1.5".
So I'm cutting that down by 1/3 right out of the gate.
The problem, is all the higher powered pumps use larger outputs like that.
What I need is a higher pressure pump that can accomplish higher flow rates through a smaller output.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Hope it helps ya some. :)

So couple minor updates...
I've done two 40g-ish water changes this week trying to get all the junk from my algae treatments out of the tank.
Plan on doing another one tomorrow.

I finally added a second MP40 and decided to put it on the side, even though I'd rather not see it there and now have to clean around it when cleaning my glass, but I figured it would be better to have the cross flow.
Both MP40's are running various programs throughout the day, controlled by my GHL Profilux 4.

And my latest toy that also came in this week from GHL is their Flow Meter which I'll be installing tomorrow on the return line.

Finally, some cleanup crew from John at ReefCleaners.org is sitting on my doorstep waiting for me to come home. And more coming next week from Richard at Tampa Bay Saltwater.

Other than that, and some recent fish additions, the tank is in "recovery mode".
SPS are showing signs of stress, lost some CUC, one of my anemones moved... that DinoX and Fluconazole ain't no joke.
Time to make sure everything stays as stable as possible and otherwise leave things be for a little while.

And going back to my last post on this subject...

Tank is looking like poo!
Deep rust brown diatoms(???) all over the sand bed and elsewhere.
SPS are losing all their vibrance and a couple frags have lost all color.
From day 1 my sps colored up great. It's frustrating to see issues like this 9 months into the build when things should really be starting to pick up.

I'm hoping this is just a stage it has to go through after the DinoX treatment.

All major parameters (calc, alk, mag, no3, p04, etc) seem spot on.

I sent a Triton ICP test off this morning so should know more in another week or so.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So things aren't looking good with the DinoX? I've only used 3 doses so far and haven't seen any changes in my corals yet but I have read that some people had a bad experience with it. Did it put a dent in your dinos at all?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So things aren't looking good with the DinoX? I've only used 3 doses so far and haven't seen any changes in my corals yet but I have read that some people had a bad experience with it. Did it put a dent in your dinos at all?
Sorry, posting in several places I forget what I posted and what I didn't. ;)
The brown stringy snot has been gone for the past week or more. Some positive news!
I am seeing some of this other brown stuff (and some air bubbles) collecting like on the bare tips of gorgonians or on my frag rack.
And the fuge is still free of all nuisance algae except for a very tiny bit of cyano.
Trying to get more flow in there, part of the reason I'm messing with the return plumbing.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, posting in several places I forget what I posted and what I didn't. ;)
The brown stringy snot has been gone for the past week or more. Some positive news!
I am seeing some of this other brown stuff (and some air bubbles) collecting like on the bare tips of gorgonians or on my frag rack.
And the fuge is still free of all nuisance algae except for a very tiny bit of cyano.
Trying to get more flow in there, part of the reason I'm messing with the return plumbing.

Well that does sound positive. I've got mine knocked way back now from what they used to be but by no means gone. I've been adding a ton of pods/phyto and MB7 so a combination of all of the above has helped some what.
I think I'll continue with the dinoX since it seemed to help you and I'm not seeing any bad reactions as of yet.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back