d2mini's "Mixed Reefalicious" Cade 600 Build

123lac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread.

I have a question about the sump - do you think that the compartment with the media baskets could be converted into a refugium with a bit of live rock and macroalgae? I imagine with the baskets removed there might just be enough space?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it would be a long narrow space but it's probably doable.
The issue for me would be not being able to (easily) contain the light to just that area, and not end up with algae in the skimmer section and return section.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok @MedRed , ask and yee shall receive. ;)
I need to turn this into a Reef2Reef article but for now you can view it on my blog...
Hey mate, I'm looking to get some dosing containers as well and would like to know the diameter of the containers you're using. Also where have you got your doser tubes running into? Thanks.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda hard to measure but about 2.75” at their widest.
lines come thorough the wall to the doser, under the shelf and to the line holder mounted to the wall of the return section.

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 58

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this thread @d2mini, one of the very few posts/videos I can find on the Cade in the US (great unboxing videos btw). I have a smaller wall space as you do, and a bit stuck between the smaller Cade 500 (38g) or the 600, and then between the RedSea XL 200. It's just so hard to find info on these tanks, and seeing one in person is not even an option for me, but dang they look sweet!

How's the tank been overall in the time you've had it? Hopefully you can get around to making an update video sometime soon, would love to hear your thoughts and see how things are going w/ the tank!

- Brent

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this thread @d2mini, one of the very few posts/videos I can find on the Cade in the US (great unboxing videos btw). I have a smaller wall space as you do, and a bit stuck between the smaller Cade 500 (38g) or the 600, and then between the RedSea XL 200. It's just so hard to find info on these tanks, and seeing one in person is not even an option for me, but dang they look sweet!

How's the tank been overall in the time you've had it? Hopefully you can get around to making an update video sometime soon, would love to hear your thoughts and see how things are going w/ the tank!

- Brent
Thanks!

The tank has been great so far. No problems, everything working as it should. The metal stand is awesome. The silicone work on the tank is top notch. Great overflow design. Would definitely buy a Cade again. I'd say if there was anything they could improve just from an innovation standpoint, it would be the sump. Its a beast, all glass, solid as a rock. Just kinda basic. But it's simple and gets the job done.

I had looked at the RedSea in person but the quality difference between the two is substantial, and then there are all the issues with the larger tanks springing leaks.
Let me know if you have any other questions on the Cade.

OSUTeege

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took two months but my new lid finally arrived from TopLids!
Ordering was great, they were super detailed, wanting to make sure it was going to fit perfectly (it does). Several back and forth emails with measurements and stuff. I think it fits and looks great. So much better than the standard DIY type screen. I really missed having a feed door. No more lifting the whole screen.
Only bummer is the luminescent spline feature… they realized after mine was made that the paint doesn’t last as long as they thought. It eventually fades, unevenly, until it’s finally gone completely. But they refunded me for that feature. Meanwhile, it looks super cool. Lol

@d2mini I’m glad to hear but surprised they refunded you, how did you go about that? I can’t get them to answer my emails…I had the same issue with the uv spline degrading over the first 3 months. Other than that great product.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini I’m glad to hear but surprised they refunded you, how did you go about that? I can’t get them to answer my emails…I had the same issue with the uv spline degrading over the first 3 months. Other than that great product.
My lid was in production when I heard about the issue and they had removed the option from their website.
I contacted them to request that they remove that option from my build but it was too late, as they were done and were preparing to ship it. But they gave me the refund.

I'm glad they did, because like you it started fading almost immediately. There's still some remnants of it left, but man... it's too bad because it was really cool looking! Still love the lid though. Other than that issue, it's made really well.

I hope you get in touch with them. At the very least they could offer a discount on a future lid.

OSUTeege

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lid was in production when I heard about the issue and they had removed the option from their website.
I contacted them to request that they remove that option from my build but it was too late, as they were done and were preparing to ship it. But they gave me the refund.

I'm glad they did, because like you it started fading almost immediately. There's still some remnants of it left, but man... it's too bad because it was really cool looking! Still love the lid though. Other than that issue, it's made really well.

I hope you get in touch with them. At the very least they could offer a discount on a future lid.
The warranty page on the website now explicitly states the uv spline isnt covered. It goes on to say it will fad as soon as 2 months…I’m pretty sure this wansnt on the site when I ordered my lid on early 2022.

when I bought it, I thought it meant the rubber spline was uv material, that’s the way to do that feature instead of paint in the groove. Anyways I digress.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The warranty page on the website now explicitly states the uv spline isnt covered. It goes on to say it will fad as soon as 2 months…I’m pretty sure this wansnt on the site when I ordered my lid on early 2022.

when I bought it, I thought it meant the rubber spline was uv material, that’s the way to do that feature instead of paint in the groove. Anyways I digress.
Correct, that language was not used when I ordered either. Absolutely no mention of fading. I found out about it from a brand new youtube video that popped up, put up by another disappointed customer.

And I too had assumed the color was infused into the spline, not painted.

Here's what they said when I requested the removal of this feature:
It was already sent when we found out, will receive tracking shortly. We already refunded you for the UV, since it won't last as long as advertised. The UV will fade out to a completely clear lid, will not discolor the lid itself, and will turn into the clear lids that you sees on the website

My response:
Ok, as long as it eventually becomes all clear I’m ok with that.

It’s too bad, it was a neat feature. Although I had assumed it was a colored spline where the material was colored all the way through, like those acrylic rods you see at your LFS for pointing out which coral you want.

Thanks for the refund.

Their response:
We made tests with the acrylic and its fade away faster than the spline with time. We have costumers that has the spline for more than 1year and its not fading. But as its not a standard process we are not using it till have everything set up.

At this point, I had my refund and didn't question it further.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while, but finally took a few FTS pics.

Tanks is slooowww going but no real issues. Most things are doing just fine.
Still doing the Reef Moonshiners and I'm overdue on an ICP test. Need to get one sent out soon.
Also dosing nitrate and phosphate daily to keep the tank from starving and getting algae issues.

I'll get some detail shots up soon too.

20230806-_DSC9567-Reef.jpg
20230806-_DSC9578-Reef.jpg
20230806-_DSC9649-Reef.jpg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back