d2mini's "Mixed Reefalicious" Cade 600 Build

MedRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I haven’t used my Canon 7D one days since I retired my tank. If I can finally get a tank up and running, I’ll sell it and get a mirror less camera. Do you have a specific theme in mind or stocking idea for this tank?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I haven’t used my Canon 7D one days since I retired my tank. If I can finally get a tank up and running, I’ll sell it and get a mirror less camera. Do you have a specific theme in mind or stocking idea for this tank?
Nothing specific, just my typical mixed reef but mostly LPS/SPS. :)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And we are up and running!
Had a few minor snags with the plumbing and a door hinge but Cade took care of it immediately and had new parts to me within a few days. :cool:
Now I need to get my cords and electronics area organized, get the dosing equipment set up, get a powerhead in there, and most importantly, the rock and sand from TBS! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

20221012-DSC_1447-Reef copy.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And we are up and running!
Had a few minor snags with the plumbing and a door hinge but Cade took care of it immediately and had new parts to me within a few days. :cool:
Now I need to get my cords and electronics area organized, get the dosing equipment set up, get a powerhead in there, and most importantly, the rock and sand from TBS! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

20221012-DSC_1447-Reef copy.jpg

Bring on the magic!

Downfall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed your cube build back on RC and then the in wall build. Excited to see how this one turns out! It's looking really good so far.

Why the Mitras instead of something like a XR15 G6? Just curious. I ended up with the apex sky over my red sea 300 XL, and I've liked it so far, much more of a T5 type look, which I prefer.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed your cube build back on RC and then the in wall build. Excited to see how this one turns out! It's looking really good so far.

Why the Mitras instead of something like a XR15 G6? Just curious. I ended up with the apex sky over my red sea 300 XL, and I've liked it so far, much more of a T5 type look, which I prefer.
Thanks!

I had Gen 4 XR30's on my 120g Elos build.
I had a Mitras on my little 25g Lagoon office nano several years ago and liked it, so figured I'd run one on this and it plays nice with my GHL Profilux setup. :)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Core coconut water bottles? Ingenious! cheap, aesthetics pleasing, and functional! Can you share how you made them?
Ewwww.... just regular water. No coconut. :squinting-face-with-tongue::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

YES! Let me write this up. I'll post back in a bit.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok @MedRed , ask and yee shall receive. ;)
I need to turn this into a Reef2Reef article but for now you can view it on my blog...

MedRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok @MedRed , ask and yee shall receive. ;)
I need to turn this into a Reef2Reef article but for now you can view it on my blog...
Ty for the quick right up. This seems like a great way to make inexpensive dosing containers. I’m impressed and will definitely consider for my own use.

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be working. But instead, I'm taking beauty shots of the GHL Mitras. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Is there any way to avoid drilling the cabinet wall to mound the lamp holder? I consider to buy the same light as I already have a lot of GHL stuff, but drilling a cabinet of my Reefer 250 would probably void the warranty, huh. Unfortunately they don't provide some rails for Mitras like ATI does for their Stratons (obviously because of it would cover the fans)

Also, as I understood you have previously had experience with such lights, what do you think, will 2 x 7204 be enough for 36" Reefer 250? Which PAR could I expect in the middle? I plan to have acropora-only tank, just decided to have more space for my sticks. Now they are in 26" tank under 2 x Hydra 32 + Aquatic Life Hybrid

Last edited:
OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to avoid drilling the cabinet wall to mound the lamp holder? I consider to buy the same light as I already have a lot of GHL stuff, but drilling a cabinet of my Reefer 250 would probably void the warranty, huh. Unfortunately they don't provide some rails for Mitras like ATI does for their Stratons (obviously because of it would cover the fans)

Also, as I understood you have previously had experience with such lights, what do you think, will 2 x 7204 be enough for 36" Reefer 250? Which PAR could I expect in the middle? I plan to have acropora-only tank, just decided to have more space for my sticks. Now they are in 26" tank under 2 x Hydra 32 + Aquatic Life Hybrid
Drilling the cabinet wall is really the only way to use the GHL Flex Mount.
Usually (I'm not familiar with Red Sea stands) the back wall of the stand is not supportive and drilling a few holes, even larger ones to fit cables through, doesn't void the warranty. You could always ask.

Now, something I considered... is mounting the vertical rail to the wall behind the tank. Your house wall. The only thing I couldn't figure out was a way to retain the ability to slide the rail up and down. If you did go this route, I'd probably make my mounting points above the top of your tank in case you ever have to adjust it.

And the option is to forget the flex mount and use the wire suspension kit, hanging it from your ceiling.

I think two of these would be ok over a 36" tank and probably a single 7206, which I would prefer personally just from an aesthetic point of view, especially if using the wire hanger. Either way, you just want a good amount of height over the tank. Better spread and less shadowing.

I can't really answer your question on PAR. It will be a while before I do any kind of PAR measurement on this tank, and the last time I had this light it was over a 25g IM Lagoon... overkill. lol

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really interested in any feedback you may have (once the tank is running) about the adjustability of the overflow and how quiet you're able to get the overflow.

The Cade looks great so far.

Here ya go, Rick. How's that for quiet? ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back