d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm baaaAAAAAAaaaaack! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

INTRO:

It's been a minute while we sold a house, moved to a rent house, bought a house, knocked down bought house, built a new house, and finally moved out of the rent house and into the new house. :zany-face:
And before that I took a year or so off from Reefing (after more than a decade in the hobby) and had set up a high-tech freshwater planted. Now about 3 years later I'm back to reefing!

Any "old timers" here may remember (many moons and a few tanks ago) my 3' cube... some referred to it as The Ecotech Cube, as it was fortunate enough to have been a bit of a poster child for the original Gen 1 Radions, after initially starting off with a MH/T5 combo (which is still my fav, other than heat/power/bulb consumption, LOL).

1663274914446.png

1663275013810.png

After that we moved and I went a little crazy with a custom 200g built in tank and awesome fish room in the garage for filtration and fragging.
R2R build thread here... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d2minis-200g-reeftastic-reef-part-deux.178519/

1663274731361.png

1663274826455.png

Thennnn... we moved again and I downsized to an Elos 120xl.
R2R build thread here... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d2minis-essential-focus-mixed-reef-build.241805/

1663274660737.png

It was after a few years of this that I was looking for something a little different and built the Waterbox freshwater planted tank.

1663275149113.png

Well now, we have come full circle because I'm back to a cube tank, but a bit more modest at just 2', with the CADE 600 S2!

BUILD STATS:

Here's what we know so far...

Tank: CADE REEF 600 S2
Lighting: (1) GHL MITRAS 7204
Skimmer: BUBBLE-MAGUS CURVE 7
Controller: GHL PROFILUX
Powerheads: Currently unknown but after using Vortechs for over a decade (and some Tunze mixed in) I'm leaning towards the Octo Pulse based on reviews.
Dosing: Not sure on Ca/Alk/Mg but may just use the liquid ESV Bionic. For the rest, this will be a REEF MOONSHINERS tank.
Rock and Substrate: Tampa Bay Saltwater as usual! Rock, sand and initial critters.
Livestock: Other than some clowns, my fish list is completely open at the moment. Coral will probably be LPS heavy with some SPS.
Water Changes: Goal is NONE since I'll be doing the Moonshiners.

Here's my tank waiting to get picked up from the CADE warehouse!
Delivery date still undetermined at this time but should be within a week or so.

1663275296711.png

This is what determined the size of the tank. Open floor plans don't have a lot of empty wall space. I could have fit a bigger one in the living room to the left of our TV but my wife doesn't really like the tank in that space because the blue light messes with her eyes. I can't say I blame her. So I decided to put it on an empty wall I have in my office. Been working from home ever since covid so I spent the majority of my time in this room. This just made the most sense. This is also at the very front of the house right next to the front door. I'll have a nice blue light lighting up the front yard. The Reefer's calling card. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The tank will be going on the wall with the skimmer box. If I put it off to the right, I may have just enough room under the light switch for a small Ikea cabinet or something, since the stand is pretty small/tight with the sump in there.

1663335275842.png

1663335324201.png

That's about it for now!
First order of business while waiting for the tank is pulling my RO/DI and water mixing tanks out of storage and getting that set up in the garage.
I'll be working on that this weekend.

Thanks for reading and I'll update soon!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Is there a new move again on the horizon?
No plans!
Especially with interest rates on the rise! We lucked out and got in right at the bottom (not so lucky though on the framing materials :face-with-head-bandage:)
Hopefully here until the kids are out.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you went with a Cade.
I went IM 100 INT because the EXT is on back order.
Mine is on the way now. We can compare notes on builds.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you went with a Cade.
I went IM 100 INT because the EXT is on back order.
Mine is on the way now. We can compare notes on builds.
Yeah, if I had the space, I would have went with that 36" cube IM has, but I don't.
So it came down to dimension of the smaller tanks, less than 35" long and IM didn't have what I was looking for in depth and height.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back!!!!! Can't wait to see this develop!!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has your tank come yet?
Mine is being delivered on Friday.
&--I have some questions for you later on.
It has hit the Houston destination this morning :cool: so I should get a call today/tomorrow to schedule delivery. Not sure it will make it here by Friday too, but very soon!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the water making business once again!

I had my water tanks in storage along with the Spectrapure MaxCap RO/DI with booster pump. Was able to squeeze them into this space in the garage. I kept the plumbing nice and tight to the tanks since I have to park my car right next to them. Saltwater on the left, Fresh on the right. All new membrane, filters and resins in the RO/DI.
The hose bib I've got the the RO/DI connected to is just on the other side of this wall and there is a flood grate at the base of the wall so it was super easy to send the tubing out to the bib as well as the drain line that can just water my grass. ;)

Aquarium delivery is scheduled for Monday. :)

20220923-DSCF1710-Reef.jpg
20220923-DSCF1712-Reef.jpg

MedRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Can't wait to see what you come up with! Depending on if I can wait out a custom tank or not, I'll be joining you soon enough.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back