D2Mini's Photo Tip #2 - "What Camera Should I Get?"

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any experience with the Fujifilm X-T10 camera body? That was recommended to me and would like to know if its a good fit for this purpose.

MonsterReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D2Mini's Photo Tip #2 - "What Camera Should I Get?"

1.jpg

So you want to take pics of your reef and you have come to the realization that your smartphone just isn't cutting it. Congratulations! There is hope for you yet. ;-)

Shiny, expensive new toys are always fun. But as an Every Day Reefer, we know that much of your disposable income is going towards that beautiful aquarium. Photography is another disposable income black hole and if you are not careful, you run the risk of getting sucked right in. I'm a professional photographer myself so the last thing I want to do is discourage you from diving in head first and discovering all the joys of photography and the toys that come with it, but I'm going to restrain myself and try to put things into perspective, so the Every Day Reefer can get a solid taste for the photography hobby while making their reefing hobby that much more enjoyable without breaking the bank. Let's be smart about it! Buy wisely once, rather than poorly two or three times.

I'm going to try to touch on things somewhat briefly, giving you enough information to get you started, and if you need more details you can do some research on your own. These are just some basic tips that I find are useful or worth thinking about when choosing a new camera.

DSLR

Put away the phone. Put away the little point-and-shoot camera. If you want to learn anything about photography I highly suggest you pick up a "real" camera with full manual controls. This is key, and I go over the importance of it in my previous photo post. So this is what will we focus on from here on out. You shouldn't be looking at anything else.

Sensor Size

Full Frame, APS-C, 4/3, Micro 4/3… These are just some of the various sensor sizes found in modern day digital cameras. The larger the sensor, the more pixels and information can be captured, giving you a clearer, more detailed image. Most common DSLRs will be Full Frame or APS-C which are your largest two sizes, but even Micro 4/3 which is about half the size of a Full Frame sensor, will give you outstanding images compared to the itty-bitty little sensor in your smartphone.

Physical Size of the Camera

This is more important than you may initially think. You need to decide how you want to use the camera and how large of a camera you are willing to use. If it's just going to sit next to your tank, it may not matter much. If you plan on taking it out of the house on family outings, how much weight are you willing to carry with you? Will you choose to leave your camera at home because of the extra bulk/weight? Or do you have big hands and need a camera that has a little more breathing room between the various buttons?

Mirrorless?

Mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras are designed to have the advantage of smaller size, lighter weight, and lower cost than the typical DSLRs, while still allowing users to swap lenses, unlike most compact cameras. You loose the optical viewfinder, replaced by a digital viewfinder. Digital viewfinders have come a long way, and on most current cameras they are so good that you forget you are looking at a digital screen. So don't let this dissuade you. If small size is what you want, mirrorless may be your best bet.

Lenses

Another huge reason to choose a DSLR style camera... being able to change lenses. For shooting close-up images of your coral or fish, you will want to purchase a "macro" lens. This will be your most used lens when shooting your aquarium. Then depending on what else you want to use your camera for and how far you want to take the hobby will determine how large of a lens lineup you will be looking for in a camera system. Before choosing Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc you will want to look at their current lens-folio to see what is available and what they cost.

When camera shopping you will see the option of buying just the camera body or a "kit" which is the body with a lens included. This lens is usually a cheaper zoom lens, but as a beginner this is fine for now and will be a decent everyday walk-around lens. The price on these kits is usually a pretty good deal. If the budget is really tight and this will mainly be for shooting your tank, I'd get the body only and put your money towards a nice Macro lens instead. And remember... bodies come and go but lenses are forever (almost)! In other words, pick a system (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc) and stick with it.

You also don't need to stick to the same brand lens as the camera body. In other words, if you bought a Nikon, you don't HAVE to buy a Nikon lens. There are third party lenses that come in different versions with mounts to fit all the big name brands. Some of these lenses can be as good or even better than the name brand lenses but at a much lower price. As an example, one of my all time favorite Macro lenses is the 90mm Macro from Tamron. The original version comes in right around $499. This lens is a STEAL! It's optically 95% as good as the 105mm Nikon lens, you just give up some heavier duty materials and the Vibration Reduction feature of the Nikon, but at 1/3 the price.

Also, when shopping for a macro lens for the aquarium, I prefer "longer" lenses. Lenses with more reach. 60mm would be the absolute minimum but I would recommend something more like a 90mm. The 105 is nice, too. This helps with larger tanks, when trying to shoot coral that is farther back from the glass. You can always take a couple steps back if you are too close, but once your lens is touching the glass, you can't get any closer. On the other hand, if you are business that is shooting mostly top-downs in shallow water, the 60mm would be a better fit.

Brand

Honestly, it doesn't matter. If you can figure out the above requirements, any of the brands that fit those requirements will work. All the major brands will have pretty much the same features, and in the end, they all do what we need them to do. But like buying a car, or new furniture, you will have personal preferences. One brand will have different ergonomics compared to another brand. The shape of the camera body, the button placement, the size... these are all attributes that effect how the camera feels in our hands. I always recommend that you head out to your local stores and handle the different cameras. Take them for a test drive and see how they feel!

Shutter Response

This shouldn't be an issue with most modern day DSLRs, but it's worth mentioning. Look for cameras where the delay between pressing the shutter button and hearing the shutter click is pretty much undetectable. There is nothing worse than missing a shot of your fish because the shutter went off a fraction of a second too late after hitting the shutter button. Many cameras these days are fast enough to focus AND take the shot at what seems like the exact same time. So pay attention to this when test driving. Firing off an autofocused shot in the blink of an eye, or even multiple shots in a fraction of a second is another nice feature that separates a DSLR from a cheap point-and-shoot or smartphone camera.

What else should you budget for?

It's not just the camera and lens. Here's a few other things you will have to have.
  1. Memory Cards. I prefer two smaller ones over one huge one.
  2. Memory card reader
  3. Computer
  4. Software - I highly recommend Adobe Lightroom for organizing and processing your images.
  5. Online gallery hosting - I really like SmugMug. Nice interface, easy to use, the basic level pricing is a good deal and worth it. I do not recommend the freebies like PhotoBucket for serious photographers. The interface is horrible. Flicker used to be good, you may like it... I personally can't stand the new Facebook-like format of the galleries.
  6. Top-Down Camera Tube - These let you dip your lens into the water to get ultra-clear top-down shots of your coral. There is one from Building An Obsession that I personally own and has some nice features, and there is another available from Avast Marine.
  7. Tripod - I personally don't use a tripod very often at all when shooting my tank, but many people find them to be necessary. I think you can put this one off for now and see how you do without it. A good tripod can be quite expensive.
OK, you've gotten this far and you are probably as confused as ever. I probably didn't give you the clear cut answer you were looking for, did I? This is because there really is no one-size-fits-all answer! To simplify it a bit… figure out your budget first. Then go test drive different brands of DSLRs... all shapes and sizes. Try to narrow it down to what feels good. Check out your favorites online, making sure their system will work for you. And don't fret too much over all the detailed reviews online trying to sort through all the different features of each. It's all fluff. If the camera lets you choose your own aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance... then you are set. I've got cameras of all shapes and sizes and in the end it's nearly impossible to tell which image came from which camera.

That's pretty much it. The rest is up to you. Have fun!
Next up... we'll go over some basics of using the manual controls of your shiny new toy!

Which camera do I own?

I have two. The first is a Nikon D800. This is my "pro" camera. This one gets the most use on the aquarium, and it's also my go-to camera for paying gigs. Top of the line quality images, but at the cost of MUCH more bulk/weight and huge file sizes. I finally upgraded to the Nikon 105mm Macro VR lens after using the Tamron 90mm Macro for many years.

The second camera is an Olympus EM-1. It's a 4/3 mirrorless camera, but one of the best you can get. It could be used on a pro shoot and it would be nearly impossible for you to tell which of my aquarium photos were taken with this vs the Nikon. This is the camera I tend to take with me on family outings due to the light weight and small size. The camera, several lenses and accessories can all fit in a small shoulder bag. Their 60mm Macro is a fantastic lens.

2.jpg

Top down shot taken with the camera tube from Building An Obsession

3.jpg

Close-up of a Desjardini Sailfin Tang eating LPS pellets off the mouth of a plate coral. Shot through the front glass.

MonsterReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been taking pics for a while now and thinking of getting a new cam I using a cannon rebel eso right now and all photos are shot with wb no orange filter any suggestiong on a new cam?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been taking pics for a while now and thinking of getting a new cam I using a cannon rebel eso right now and all photos are shot with wb no orange filter any suggestiong on a new cam?
If you are used to canon and have no complaints, I would just stick with that. Any recent canon body will work.

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for the life of me can't get a good shot with my Sony a6500 w/ 18-200mm F3.5-6.3.

I know it's user error, but I'm still having trouble getting natural colors of coral. I've tried turning white balance up to max (9900), aperture is at 4~, but most pictures lack color, have too much blue, or not enough light.

I'm running Radion g4s above my tank, if that helps. Any advice appreciated!

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hassy.jpg

@d2mini - does this qualify as a good camera ? lol :D
Its my life and companion for so long a time . Before me , it was my dad's with legendary Carl Zeiss Planar . 46 years on it and still running as new .

Since, you have a leica with a summicron , thought of showing my Hassy :p

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hassy.jpg

Its my life and companion for so long a time . Before me , it was my dad's with legendary Carl Zeiss Planar . 46 years on it and still running as new .

Regards,
Abhishek
And a Leica M2 just for you @d2mini - 1954 edition :D with yours truly

Me.jpg

Enough of camera **** ! Lets get back to real advice from @d2mini

Regards,
Abhishek
Awesome stuff!!!

Actually, I recently got rid of my Leica gear. :eek: :(
And I'm really only sad about getting rid of the lenses. I have come to HATE the digital bodies. The only thing they have going for is their simplicity. The sensors are just OK (it's the glass that gives the awesome results) and not only is the initial price for one of their bodies just INSANE, but the resale value is horrendous. Which makes sense with the way digital technology moves, completely different from film bodies where nothing really changes. And couple that with the cost of the glass (which at least retains it's value) and it's just idiotic. So I sold it all and bought into the Fuji X system. My poor man's leica. haha ;)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hassy.jpg

Regards,
Abhishek

Just mention - developed and made in Gothenburg …… :)

Olympus makes some great stuff... too bad they are sticking with the smaller m4/3 sensors.

Yes indeed - I use one of their compact cameras Olympus Though III - Now and then - I get some tolerable pictures with that camera. It has a very good function that make you able to get pictures that looks like they should - even if it is a heavy blue light tank

Sincerely Lasse

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome stuff!!!

Actually, I recently got rid of my Leica gear. :eek: :(
And I'm really only sad about getting rid of the lenses. I have come to HATE the digital bodies. The only thing they have going for is their simplicity. The sensors are just OK (it's the glass that gives the awesome results) and not only is the initial price for one of their bodies just INSANE, but the resale value is horrendous. Which makes sense with the way digital technology moves, completely different from film bodies where nothing really changes. And couple that with the cost of the glass (which at least retains it's value) and it's just idiotic. So I sold it all and bought into the Fuji X system. My poor man's leica. haha ;)

So true !!! Analog bodies are timeless and with time , leica M2,M3, M4, M6 can fetch you more in future than you pay for.
However I did like the Fujifilm X100 a lot. It was my first digital body used and even though not full format, loved the 35mm view field of the lens. And the lens , while not a summicron was pretty sharp enough .

When I was into street photography a lot, I used it to take one of the best pics of mine in street photography and was able to get a decent nice print of 11x14 for the below image . Surprisingly , it fetched me more awards and recognition than all pics taken from all of my leica and hasselblad ;)

Smiles.jpg

Regards,
Abhishek

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini You should update this with what cameras you use now and if you changed why did you pick that one.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone recommend a camera for those of who have a real budget?

I mean, a $500 lense? really? And that is supposed to sensible for the everyday reefer?

There has to be a way to get nice pictures and in macro without spending a ton of money.

I don't care what people think of me for not spending a months pay on a body and lense. I just want a decent, better than my G6 Motorola quality photo.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Olympic tough TG 3 and I get dissent pictures IMO. All my videos and pictures in my Build tread is taken with this camers

Sincerely Lasse

Thanks Lasse!

I like your photos. Real world. Decent price. I will be looking more into this camera.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is TG 5 now. I bought mine many years ago.

Sincerely Lasse

Yes, but you can get refurb 3s But, I think I will go with the 5. I am having a photographer buddy of mine look at it. His immediate thing when I asked about a camera was the Nikon with about $2500 worth of lenses as a "starter" package. LOL.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question maybe you guys can help me with.
I have been gimping along w/ my old canon rebel, it's about done, so I have not been shooting much out of frustration as it freezes up saying "busy" usually about when I have that perfect shot framed!

So, being a canon guy, looking to upgrade w/ budget in mind, I'm looking at kits on B&H for the T6, and the T6i
Is there really a big difference between these 2 for what we would primarily be shooting?

Back