D2Mini's Photo Tip #2 - "What Camera Should I Get?"

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone recommend a camera for those of who have a real budget?

I mean, a $500 lense? really? And that is supposed to sensible for the everyday reefer?

There has to be a way to get nice pictures and in macro without spending a ton of money.

I don't care what people think of me for not spending a months pay on a body and lense. I just want a decent, better than my G6 Motorola quality photo.

Camera bodies are like cell phones...new ones just keep coming with "features"...it's the glass that stands the test of time. Get a decent body (usually tons used for sale on CL or FB). Invest in your glass...those can be used accross many bodies for whatever brand you choose. Also, for macro shots, you can use extension tubes with your glass to change/modify your minimum focus distance...those can be used accross all your focal lengths and are usually pretty cheap. For example, if you invested in lets say...a decent 70-200...you can get a set of extension tubes for less than $150...usually 12mm/20mm/36mm sets...and you can stack them as well for a max of 68mm. The best part of extension tubes is you get the benefits of a reduced minimum focus distance (can focus closer like macro) and you still keep the full/max/capabilites of the lense/sensor.

So without buying up a bunch of prime macro lenses with fixed focal lengths...just get extension tubes and use whatever lenses you want... #allthepixels #pixelpeepers #shootraw

Here is a great write-up about extension tubes w/examples from Poseidon

Last edited:

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on best lens for a Canon 6D? My wife is a professional studio / portrait photographer and the 6D is pretty versatile -105mm with a long lens?
I have a 6D Mk II, it's been a great camera. I'm always a huge fan of a faster 70-200...like a f/2.8 or faster tons of versitility. Tamron makes a great one at a decent price, definately more budget friendly than the Canon 70-200. You can always get extension tubes for macro shots or other mods to extend focal lengths (but you'll lose stops). B&H usually has great deals in their used equipment section.

Other than a solid 70-200...you can't go wrong with the trusty nifty fifty...a 50mm prime w/the as fast of an aperature you can afford (f/1.8's are like $125...f/1.2 can be a heafty price tag)...no frills, great in low light, allows for faster shutter speeds (stopping action) and lower ISOs (reducing noise/grain), great for that creamy background bokeh (blurry background around subject)...and small/easy

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the one you are looking at should be a good all around lens. It depends if you want a lens that does macro excellently or one that does macro well enough, but can also be used for other photo opportunities.

I'm not really a Nikon guy, but they have lots of options. Maybe to many. That's why you posted.

I have a Canon 100 mm f2.8L lens I use for macro. It is only good for that and some special portraiture shots. It was about an $800 lens new. Can I tell the difference between that and a more cost friendly lens? No. But I'm not a pro, just a hobbiest that loves taking pics of corals. At that price point its hard to justify sometimes.

If you want a good macro specific lens at a better deal, You might be able to find a good used lens thru some online camera shops like B&H Photo or Adorama. They may have the tamron 90 mm lens at a good deal.bTalk to their reps and see where they would point you.

Whatever you get just practice and get good with it. If you have trouble dialing it in, just start a thread here. More people might see it If you start your own. I've gotten great advice here and have gotten some decent shots.

b8bb1cab366cbad5351f45e91b3ab06f.jpg

4fd7bd392985ca74df2436f5e691d19a.jpg
++ on the Tamron 90 macro. I picked that up from BH last year. I was into photography as a hobby before I started taking up reefing. I'm excited to combine the two thins spring after I've collected the rest of my equipment.

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am reefing for a good time now and I would like to start posting pictures of my achievements. I know nothing besides point-and-shot using mobile cameras. So I came here to check for suggestions regarding specific cameras model that were used by fellow reefers and found to be reliable and the results come out as desired (I am looking for a camera that is meant for taking pictures of home aquariums only). Am still confused after reading about all the suggestions, tips, and specifications. I can't even tell what is the right budget to get high-quality pictures. Is Olympus EM-1 still good after 10 years? I don't mind how old the camera model is but as an investment in a camera, I would love to get the latest technology in one.

Any updated suggestions here?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your use. I shoot a full frame 45 mega pixel camera. But really i]what you have is more than enough for facebook posts and looking at photos on most monitors. It is even good for decent sized enlargements.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned before - all of my photos and videos in this thread is shout by the help of Olympus though cameras. 2016 to 2019 Olympus Though TG 3 and after 2019 - TG 6. No extra lins whatever

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back