Daileyo's Build Thread: Repurposed Tank & Beyond.

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my journey into the salt water community with an existing fresh water system. I am largely still using that system today, but it has morphed quite a bit. I decided I'd start a build thread to show some of what I've done, get some feedback from folks interested, and start trying to share some of my future plans. When I started, my original goal was to try and re-use as much of the existing system as I could, and only add what I needed to to accommodate the shift from fresh water to salt water. My reasons for trying to do this were:
  • Save money by recycling
  • Save time on setup
  • Recycle existing equipment when possible
  • See how much fresh water equipment could cross over for use in salt water setups
  • Have an excuse for doing some DIY projects
Since I am a few years in already, I'll start by sharing some of the journey up to this point. Then I'll start sharing some of my latest plans. I'll try my best to talk about things in two categories:
  • Inhabitants
  • Equipment
Hopefully others can learn from some of the things I've done and mistakes I've made... or if nothing else... enjoy the read :).

Then (September 2018)
MVIMG_20181106_194116.jpg
MVIMG_20181106_193718.jpg

Now (as of October 2021)
PXL_20211019_015223659.jpg
PXL_20211019_015238501.MP.jpg
PXL_20211019_015354340.jpg
PXL_20211019_015206327.jpg

Startup Equipment

What I started with
  • 18"x48"x24" tank (~ 90 gallons)
  • 18"x48"x28" stand
  • 10"x18"x14" Fresh water sump (~ 10 gallons)
  • 3 different LED light strips
  • Rio 2500 return pump (+ spare that I don't remember the brand)
  • Aerator
  • Assorted slate and decorative rock
  • Assorted aquarium decorations and shells
  • In-tank/sump aquarium heater
  • 1 wave pump
  • Plastic bioballs
What I bought to start out for salt water
  • Reef Octopus 150SSS Classic Protein Skimmer
  • 20 lbs of "live" rock
  • 2 bags of Caribbean Sea live sand (40 lbs each)
Inhabitants

What I started with
  • 1 Clown Fish
  • 1 Blue Damsel

Initial Equipment Setup

For my initial setup I opted to get pre-mixed salt water from and almost-lfs (shout-out to the late Paradise, CA pet store ). I tested my tap water before setting up the tank, and didn't like the TDS levels. I did get salt to do my own mixes, but was not comfortable using my tap water. I could've purchased RO/DI water or gone to the vending filtration machines for drinking water (not RO/DI, but better than my tap water.) In the end I opted to start with the lfs pre-mixed water. I figured this would give me a starting baseline to work on hitting in the future.

IMG_20181020_180254.jpg
This did wonders for setting my mind at ease for the initial setup. However, after spending the money on this the first time, I would recommend against it for an inital tank setup this size. It is not too difficult to mix salt water, and if you are going to setup a salt water tank, being comfortable with mixing your own will be something you need to get used to eventually. Also, since the first stage is cycling, this is perhaps one of the most forgiving stages for messing up the salinity levels. You have plenty of time to correct the levels while cycling, and gives you practice in adjusting them before there is live residence of the tank that would be negatively impacted.

I filled the tank half way and let it set for a bit to check for drip leaks in the tank, plumbing, and sump (~ 30 minutes or so). After that I filled the tank the rest of the way and plugged everything in.

IMAG0508.jpg IMAG0510.jpg IMAG0512.jpg IMAG0511.jpg IMAG0506.jpg

I was originally thinking about having the power strip in the stand but decided against it. There is far too much water in there, and too many opportunities to spill or drip on it. That is a risk anywhere around the tank... but the stand next to the sump seemed to be particularly vulnerable. I am happy with my decision to move it out of there. Later modifications built on moving it out.

I hated the angles I had to contort to in order to tighten the hose clamps on the bulkheads. I thought that using slips would be easier. I also thought having a ball valve to shut down flow for sump maintenance would be good.

These were both bad ideas that I ultimately regretted. While it was easier to get the slips on and off, and they didn't leak, the took up so much room and made it very difficult to move the sump around in a VERY limited area inside the stand. Also, the ball valve was useless. It was so hard to turn that I was afraid of putting too much lever pressure on the bulkheads in the glass bottom of the tank. I never ended up using it. Also, the overflow takes care of the excess flow for you... this was not a good place to put a ball valve.

The other thing I didn't like about this was the lengthy hose attaching the sump. This was how the fresh water tank was setup, and I didn't want to mess with changing that at the time.

In the end, this plumbing setup worked fine, and it was in place for almost 2 years before changing it. So while I didn't like it, it worked and was not something that caused too much grief.

Ahhh the "live" rock.

MVIMG_20180927_211324.jpg I wanted to start my tank with some live rock. I bought "live" rock from a seller on Amazon. This, in my hindsight opinion, was a mistake. This was nothing but painted reef rock that was sent somewhat wet and wrapped in a cardboard mesh wrap. It worked fine in the tank, but it wasn't the live rock I thought it was, and I don't think I got any benefit from it that one would expect from live rock. To those setting up a new tank and want to get rock, I would recommend:
  • If you want live rock, get it from your reputable LFS or a friend that keeps a healthy tank.
  • I think what is better for an initial tank setup is getting dry rock, and cycling it separately or with the tank during it's cycle.
While the rock was not live like I expected, it looked good and is still a part of my tank to this day.

The Skimmer
IMAG0504.jpg IMAG0505.jpg

This Reef Octopus 150SSS Classic Protein Skimmer has been great. I needed a compact skimmer that would fit in the sump and the tight cabinet space. I researched protein skimmers quite a bit before purchasing. I found some that I liked more than this one, but they wouldn't fit. This one had such great reviews overall, and it had the goldie-locks dimensions I needed.

I do not regret this decision at all. It is quiet and not too difficult to tune. I still have it, and it is still running great. I have done some very slight modifications to it that I'll talk about later, but I ran it in its stock setup for almost 18 months before tweaking it a little bit.

For me, the hardest thing was dialing into how to get the water level in the sump to work with the skimmer. I had zero room to raise or lower the skimmer, so I was completely at the mercy of adjusting the skimmer compartment water levels. I've attached a video of the very first attempt at getting it to skim. This was with all the water needed for the whole system.

Ultimately, adjusting baffles a bit helped to get the water level dialed in with the skimmer. I messed with this for about a week while it was cycling before I got it right.

BTW, the heater in the video and picture... it did not stay there. the heaters went into this section of the sump when it was fresh water, but the skimmer displaced them. I had to have the heater in the display for a little bit. I hid it by having it in the overlfow. While this worked well for me, I don't know that I'd recommend it. I didn't have an issue, but I feel like it is a bit of a gamble that I wouldn't recommend to others.

MVIMG_20180930_200016.jpg
This was the tank at the end of setup day, after the cloudiness had gone down. After this point, I let it cycle for 4 weeks. During that time I moved the aquascape around a bit more, and tinkered with some other tank decorations that came with the tank.

The tank in the bottom of the pic is an CO2 tank. The fresh water tank was setup to run CO2. I ultimately did not use this in the setup, and still don't. I do also dabble with brewing though... so it may have a different purpose in a different hobby.

4 week cycle becomes 6 week cycle

While cycling the tank, I began to notice and obsess about some scratches in the tank. I tried to ignore them... but they drove me nuts. After doing some research, I decided to try buffing them out using cerium oxide. This seemed like the best time to try, since I was still cycling.

IMG_20181001_193708.jpg MVIMG_20181001_193702.jpg

I scrubbed and bleached my recycling bins several times and let them air dry, then used them to drain the majority of the tank. I though I might be able to buff the most annoying culprits out without draining the whole thing. I didn't want to waist the salt water that I had been using in the cycling process.

IMG_20181001_193934.jpg IMG_20181001_193940.jpg MVIMG_20181001_193937.jpg MVIMG_20181001_193958.jpg

I "tarped" the bottom of the tank. My thought was that this would keep the majority of the cerium oxide out of the sand bed, but if some got through, it likely would not be enough to be a problem for the tank.

MVIMG_20181001_201540.jpg
MVIMG_20181001_201543.jpg

I didn't make if far before getting cold feet. Drained the rest of the tank and pulled out all of the sand. Fortunately I had enough 5 gallon buckets to store it all. Once I removed all the water, rock, and substrate; I started to try buffing the glass.

MVIMG_20181001_230503.jpg IMG_20181002_003500.jpg IMG_20181002_010126.jpg IMG_20181002_014420.jpg IMG_20181002_024140.jpg

WARNING!!!
DO NOT DO THIS INSIDE IF YOU ARE MARRIED AND VALUE YOUR LIFE AND RELATIONSHIP!
(or if your spouse is away on vacation and you have time to clean up before they return.)

This worked pretty well to get out all the minor scratches, but there were some that were so deep that I could not get them out. If I had planned better, and moved this OUTSIDE I might have been able to spend more time trying to smooth out some of the deeper scratches. I Jackson Pollocked the heck out of the room my aquarium was in. I spent more time cleaning up the room than I did buffing out the tank. Tarping was not enough. Between the RPMs of the buffer and how fine the cerium oxide was... this went everywhere. It was coming off of me for days in the shower, even with long sleeve shirt pants, N95 mask and safety glasses. I am alive and still happily married, so the cleanup went well. Once in awhile I still notice a random spec in the aquarium room.

soo much sand... so much sand.

If you wanted to try this to restore an old tank, I think it would work well. I already had the tools, so the only thing I had to buy was the cerium oxide. It worked okay for this, and has worked well on a couple other projects that I've wanted to get scratches out of glass. I would just note that the buffer will heat up the glass so be mindful of how long you are buffing on spot. Take your time. If I ever replace this tank, I want to retry this outside and see if I really could have gotten all the deep scratches out.

After I was done cleaning up the room, I put everything back in the tank. I decided to let it cycle for two more weeks, just to make sure everything stayed where I expected it to. I doubt that was necessary, but I wanted to error on the side of caution.

Initial Inhabitants

I started off with 2 fish, a few snails and hermit crabs IMG_20181022_185942.jpg
  • 1 Ocellaris Clown Fish (Dog)
  • 1 Yellow Tail Blue Damsel (Cat)
  • Some margarita snails
  • Some red
I wanted to name our cat Dog and get a dog to name Cat; but that was nixed by my better half. But I got free reign on naming the fish.

I got some small pieces of actual live rock from the LFS.

IMG_20181025_222809.jpg IMG_20181025_222859.jpg MVIMG_20181021_204901.jpg

I initially put some in the sump, but ultimately moved it all to either display or inside of the overflow.

IMG_20181022_190951.jpg IMG_20181022_191011.jpg

After about 4 weeks I got bold and added some additional inhabitants. I really wanted to try out anemones. My preferred local LFS didn't have any, and the next closest one that had salt water inhabitants was a few hours away. While I did find some good ones, the first one I went to wasn't the best. I bought 2 anemones and a sexy shrimp. Once purple-ish in color and the other completely white. I think they were condylactis, but I'm not certain. At the time I thought they were different colors.

IMG_20181106_193126.jpg MVIMG_20181117_203232.jpg

I learned after reading more when getting home that the white one was due to stress. While I wasn't very happy that the rep at the store didn't warn me or let me know; I feel it was partially my fault for not doing enough research first. The sexy shrimp took to the stressed one. I named them Pepe (sexy shrimp) and Penelopi (anemone). I did so because Penelopi would move all over the tank, and no matter where she went... Pepe was there. The other anemone I named Medusa.

In an unexplainable twist, Medusa ended up dying suddenly after a few months. She was the healthier anemone seemed to very suddenly and randomely get and stop eating or staying attached to rocks. Pepe also disappeared after about a year. I was convinced that Penelopi got tired of him and ate him... but I'm not really sure. Penelopi ultimately got healthy again in my tank and is still around today. I actually didn't learn that she was sick until (ironically) she started getting better and it freaked me out that she was changing color.

In the pics above Penelopi is the bleached anemone. Here is a more recent photo of her (from August 2021.)

PXL_20210802_153414520.MP.jpg

MVIMG_20181021_204901.jpg

This was pretty much my initial setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daileyo

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank still blue on one side and white on the other?
Yes, but I won't be leaving it that way. I Used to have a pair of Kessil 360WE. Both sides were the same intensity and color then. I have the 360 lighting controlled with my Apex system via VDM module. However I had an "incident" with one of them and had to get a new light. I got a Kessil 500x. I upgraded for a few reasons:
  • PAR measurements in my tank have not been what I'd like with the 360WE.
  • I liked the idea of the various lens options (Though I think the 360x also has these options)
  • I wanted to do a side-by-side comparison to the 360 and 500 PAR outputs

I've only had the new light for a couple of weeks, and am dialing in the control of its light and color. The 500 and 360 color control is different, so I haven't gotten it down yet.

Believe it or not, the right side is blue as well. While I was waiting for the new light, I had a Kessil 160 Tuna Sun light up next to the 360. When I had that setup, The contrast was was quite similar to the 500 and 360, but reversed.

Do you like the blue or the white better? And/or do you see any issues beyond aesthetics with the color variants between the two sides?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the blue myself. I'm not sure if there are any issues other than aesthetics, although it may depend on the type of corals receiving blue vs. white light.

OP
OP
daileyo

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the blue myself. I'm not sure if there are any issues other than aesthetics, although it may depend on the type of corals receiving blue vs. white light.
I agree. I like it more on the blue colors as well. Starting to get the two dialed in.
PXL_20211019_015223659.jpg

I'm worried that I am going to need to just upgrade the right light as well. I'll be doing some new PAR measurements soon. I'm getting ready to try coral again.

OP
OP
daileyo

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY attempt #1 (from Dec 2018)

I really wanted to add some additional filtering to the system. I was able to keep the Nitrates and Phosphates in range with water changes, but my ultimate goal is to get to minimal-to-no water changes.

I found several videos on doing DIY alge scrubbers. I liked this idea because:
  • Biological Filtration
  • Self sustaining (in theory)
I had some LED strips from a differnt project, so all I needed was a reactor I bought a pair of AQUATOP MR-20 Multimedia Reactors for $30 each. They were small enough to fit comfortably in the stand. I liked the idea of running them in series to try and get extra filtration. I ordered Chaeto from Algae Barn to use in the scrubber. I used a single pump and hooked the two reactors in series.

There are many YouTube videos and write-ups of successful builds of these DIY algae scrubbers...

This is not one of those.

IMG_20181118_110659.jpg MVIMG_20181118_110710.jpg

As cool as it looked, all this did was burn the Chaeto. I tried a few different rounds and variations
  • Pictured setup.
    • Chaeto died in ~ 1 week
  • Took the reactors out of series and ran them independently:
    • Chaeto died in ~ 1 week
  • Removed one of the LED strips and wrapped both reactors with 1
    • Chaeto died in ~ 2 weeks

The LED strips were able to be adjusted in terms of color. I tried the variations in both the blue (seen in the picture) as well as purple and red.

My theory is that the reactors are a little too narrow and the lights were ultimately always burning the chaeto. I was able to keep the chaeto alive longer by not running the lights as long, but it never really seemed to grow.

I ultimately decided I was spending more money on the Chaeto than it was worht, and decided to setup the reactors with bio pellets. I eventually reduced it to one reactor because I was getting to un-detectable levels of Nitrate and Phosphates even with just one.

While the build didn't go as expected... it was a fun project to try out. If I were to try it again, I'd do a larger diameter reactor.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back