Dalua ILLUMAGIC X4

jjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been debating getting two of these or two xr15 g6 to replace my orphek that has burnt leds.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been running 2 Blaze X 90s (36 inch) fixtures for a couple of years. They work great and have an excellent spectrum. Support is a bit lacking and the recent push with WWC and other social media is interesting, but they are great lights and I'm glad they are getting more known in the USA.

I have a full Acropora tank and have used these exclusively. I think the Blaze X is a better option than the X4s. The X4s are terribly over priced in my opinion. The Blaze X 90 that I use has 9 pucks of leds and the fixture itself puts out 230 watts.

I now see that the Blaze X is not available anymore and only the X4. You'll need quite a few of the X4 to cover a tank as they are only 4 LED pucks.

Now, the REAL downside, the App will get the job done, but it is atrocious. Probably one of the worst apps I have ever seen for an LED light. Now maybe that is because I am using the Bluetooth version of the Blaze X and I think they have a bit of an upgraded app for the new X4s.

My fixtures are kept perfect and I emailed Unique Corals 3 times about some fan issues and the lights intermittently cutting off and coming on. Unique sold me the lights and wouldn't even respond to me even though they have another year of warranty left. So Dalua, out of Australia, I emailed them as they are the main distributor for illumagic. Responded quickly, but then went silent. I was told they would send me some fans (just small PC based fans) as the cooling fins broke and there under no dust or anything. Not a big deal, as I could replace myself. Then I was told the only thing that could be wrong with the intermittent lights was a watch battery in the fixture. I replaced those batteries, still have the issue. No help.

So I take it that they didn't want to fool with the customers that had these lights and wanted to move on to the X4s. I don't appreciate that in the least as I paid well over 2 grand for 2 fixtures. I do like the lights, when they are working and they do grow coral just fine. However, I will stick to fixtures with more mainstream support in the future as this has left a bad taste in my mouth and I used to brag on these lights constantly.

Verdict......pass. The social media push is because they gave Koralito a whole set up because he had a lot of followers. Hard to pass up if you're him. THEN, WWC just happened to go review his tank for their YouTube channel and now WWC is using them.... Not a coincidence. It's all about marketing these days and not performance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back