Dalua skimmer feedback

1Bigfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!
I’m looking for anyone’s feedback on the dalua great white 7 dc pump skimmer particularly the noise level of the pump and of the skimmer itself (air noise).
I am currently using the Nyos 160 skimmer, I bought it based on its “silent operation” claim. It’s the loudest piece of equipment I am using, the pump hum and air noise.
The dalua gw 7 has caught my interest with a dc pump and silent operation claims.
Is anyone using this skimmer and how do you find the noise? Does it skim lots of smelly stuff?
Thanks for your feedback

OP
OP

1Bigfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those that were following my post. The dalua gw7 dc skimmer rocks.
I decided to go out on a limb and order this skimmer and try it. I tell you I am sure glad I did, this skimmer is quiet. So quiet my eco tech m2 return pump seems loud.
No micro bubbles for a break in period, within a few hours I had nasty skim in the cup.
This skimmer will be replacing my nyos 160 which is loud and does not skim as well as this skimmer does.

OP
OP

1Bigfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Their website says recommended height of 4-6 inches. Seems low to me.
What level do you have the pump running at? Eg full power?
There was a paper inside the box that suggested a height of 7” for a dryer skim and 10” for a more wet skim. I went with 7” and works great. Yes 4-6” seems kinda low.
I have the pump set at level 3

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have 5 levels?
Also is the outlet wide open or halfway closed.

OP
OP

1Bigfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have 5 levels?
Also is the outlet wide open or halfway closed.
The instructions for the pump say it has 20 levels. With the outlet half closed, level 3 seemed to work good for me. Are you thinking on buying one of these skimmers?

Gudhjem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review Bigfish.

I'm frustrated by the general lack of silent equipment available, and having been struggling to find a quiet small skimmer. The Reef Octopus skimmers with Varios pumps are good -- Varios are my quiet go to return and skimmer pumps -- but they don't make a small enough skimmer with a Varios for my new tank. I bought the Reef Octopus Essence S-130 based on RO's quality Varios pumps, hoping the smaller pumps they use would also be good, and because many users are saying it's silent, but mine is most defintely not silent. It's loud and vibrates horribly. That one gets relegated to a garage tank, while I look for another.

I'm down to the Dalua DC like you bought, or the Deltec 600i. I have a Deltec Fleece Roller and the build quality is excellent. There seem to be few users of either though, so your impression of the GW carries weight.

OP
OP

1Bigfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review Bigfish.

I'm frustrated by the general lack of silent equipment available, and having been struggling to find a quiet small skimmer. The Reef Octopus skimmers with Varios pumps are good -- Varios are my quiet go to return and skimmer pumps -- but they don't make a small enough skimmer with a Varios for my new tank. I bought the Reef Octopus Essence S-130 based on RO's quality Varios pumps, hoping the smaller pumps they use would also be good, and because many users are saying it's silent, but mine is most defintely not silent. It's loud and vibrates horribly. That one gets relegated to a garage tank, while I look for another.

I'm down to the Dalua DC like you bought, or the Deltec 600i. I have a Deltec Fleece Roller and the build quality is excellent. There seem to be few users of either though, so your impression of the GW carries weight.
The dalua dc is a great skimmer, 3 weeks of use and it is still so quiet I don’t know it’s there, except to clean the nasty skimmate it makes.
I believe Deltec makes top notch gear as well, I’ve never used any to comment on.
Let me know how you like either skimmer you decide on

Gudhjem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with the Dalua DC skimmer. I'm happy I did.

Overall build quality is solid, but it does lack some polish. The increase/decrease on the control are opposite convention, and the controller does not offer a decent way to mount it. The air hose to venturi connector is weird. in fact, there really isn't one; the hose just sits loosely in a hole in what appears to be a 3D-printed part. Surprisingly, seems to work though. The assembly to adjust the water level is really loose. Doesn't affect operation, but makes it seem flimsy.

That said, it's early, but it seems to skim very well. The attached pic is after a day on a very light bio-load tank.

Also, it is quiet. It's as quiet as any skimmer I've used, maybe the quietest, at least on par with the RO Varios pump skimmers, and MUCH quieter than the RO Essence-130 (which is not quiet at all).

So, for me, the minor polish issues are secondary. Great skimmer.
Dalua Skimmer.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back