Damaged Reef Anemone

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flower anemone who's foot was planted DEEP inside my largest rock of a tank I am shutting down.
Transplanting the rock is not an option as it was FULL of aptaisia.

I attempted to slowly break the rock apart, but unfortunately as I got down close, I noticed he had grabbed two sides and the rock split and he appears to have been split himself down the middle. There is a 1/3rd of him that is still attached.

What is weird is that it seems he has two separate feet - one attached to one part of the rock, and another to the other side. Is that possible?

I'm assuming his fate is sealed - I put the rock back in the tank last night. He is still moving if I touch him, but I am curious, at this point since he might not make it away, should I try fragging him down the middle between the two feet and see if I can salvage one half?

Thoughts?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
try and see if it heals itself... i have no knowledge if this does happen but perhaps it can be cut to propagate much like the BTA's? i'll let other reefer's chime in on this.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a photo - it is completely stuck on the two rocks that are no longer attached. You can see on the right side the edge of its foot, yet the left piece is still rock hard stuck on that. If I move the rocks its going to full tear in two...so I've left him alone for now until I know if theres a chance.
IMG-4224.jpg

I'm wondering if I take a razor and cut down the middle where its torn and then try to save each individual side and watch carefully?

Im just not an expert here at all...

IMG-4224.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a photo - it is completely stuck on the two rocks that are no longer attached. You can see on the right side the edge of its foot, yet the left piece is still rock hard stuck on that. If I move the rocks its going to full tear in two...so I've left him alone for now until I know if theres a chance.
IMG-4224.jpg

I'm wondering if I take a razor and cut down the middle where its torn and then try to save each individual side and watch carefully?

IMG-4224.jpg
I think you’d have a better shot at using the hammer and chisel to get that anemone out in the condition it’s already in.

I do not know how successful people are at fragging rock flowers anemones.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’d have a better shot at using the hammer and chisel to get that anemone out in the condition it’s already in.

I do not know how successful people are at fragging rock flowers anemones.
I think that option is long gone, as soon as I start chiseling its going to split in half anyway. Its hard to tell in the photo, but the Anemone is the ONLY thing holding the rocks together. That is two rocks being held by him together.

Thats my point too - how is he holding onto two different rocks? Is it possible he has two feet?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMG-4224.jpg

IMG-4224.jpg
looks like a mini maxi carpet anemone to me.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Well if it’s already split then the deed was done.

It doesn’t look bad! I think it may pull though, but I am not an expert on anemones so don’t take my word for it.

Good luck with the aiptasia problem. I have them too in my tank. Grrr.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be fine, cut it, they split in half for fun lol. Low light and clean water and you will have 2

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be fine, cut it, they split in half for fun lol. Low light and clean water and you will have 2
ok! I will razer him down the middle, and see if I can transfer the remaining rock over to the new tank for both halves and hope for the best!

I'm on borrowed time as well because I already moved the Radeon over to the new tank 3 days ago.
I'll report back in a week and hopefully they survive!

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this exact thing. I put the rocks back as close as possible a dn left the nem alone. It moved off on its own and healed in time.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a mini maxi carpet anemone to me.
I second. No rock flowers (I know of 2 regions) look like carpets like that. So good news, it’ll probably be ok. Bad news, not a rock nem lol

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I sliced em and broke off almost all the rock around them. Dropped them in the new tank and we will see what happens.

I mean it sure looks to me like each side has its own foot because both are fully attached to their respective rocks.

Can a single mini maxi have two feet, or is that indicative that it was about to split naturally?

Maxi 1 (right side that was cut)
maxi2.jpg

Maxi 2 (left side that was cut)

maxi1.jpg

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They rebuild themselves quickly, I had one get caught up in a propeller modded powerhead, and had 20 pieces and 20 babies afterwards with a few large ones.

Little dim on lighting for a bit, and they should be happy in no time

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back