"Damp" shipping

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading a little about "damp shipping" frags where you simply wrap them in a paper towel and dip the little wad in the tank water and put it in a plastic bag. The idea is that it allows for better oxygen exchange and eliminates the issue of polluted cloudy water. It would also cut down on weight and therefore shipping charges.

Who has actually shipped this way or has received frags packed this way? What are your experiences?

Thanx
H@rry

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved a colony of blastos wednesday night, they were only wrapped in a plastic bag for padding and then put in another bag, no paper or anything... they were opened up and happy within 10 minutes of being in our tanks

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I received a box of zoanthid frags that way and none survived.
The person sent a replacement order, the normal way with water and 100% survived.
Never again.

seascape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have got corals both ways and both ways ive had problems so im at a 50/50 i would say.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Het H@rry just ship me some stuff and see how it does:xd: If it makes it in are great AL heat it will make it anywhere:bigsmile:

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joey, let's to a "test swap" where we ship each other "damp" frags and see how it works out. What'd ya say?

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kind of shipping would save alot on weight charges...But, It still looks a little hit or miss in my book...

I'm thinking corals that slime up alot would fare better then corals that don't, and just rely more on the damp toweling...

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kind of shipping would save alot on weight charges...But, It still looks a little hit or miss in my book...

That's what I would think too but I understand some people have been doing it with a lot of success. A person I know said he brought some coral back from Hawaii that way in his suitcase and they were fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back