Damsel compatibility

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience with the yellow tail blue damsel? I’m thinking of adding a couple to liven up the tank. I have a couple clowns. I am concerned with their aggression though. I didn’t want them in the beginning because i heard they can take over a tank. Should I put them in last? Or do you think they would be fine if I got at least two. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 gallon. Don’t mind the bubbles it’s my protein skimmer. I think the flow is too strong. If I turn off wave maker it’s clear. It’s 660 gph.

Attachments

• 6C743DCF-4B3E-4150-B8F1-363B029F0015.jpeg
    6C743DCF-4B3E-4150-B8F1-363B029F0015.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 113

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Yellow Tail Damsels-- one of my Top 10 favorite fish (maybe Top 5). I rarely have a tank without one. I have one now in a 20-gallon with a Pink Skunk Clown; they are best buddies. However, given that your tank does not have a lot of length to it, I don't think I'd push 2 clowns and 2 Yellow Tail Damsels. One YT coming in now (after the clowns) would probably work. But if you add more fish after the YT gets established, it might bother them-- unless you change the rocks where he calls home. Otherwise, make it your dead-last fish addition is what I'd say. But do get one; the colors and swim action are fantastic. Best wishes! ;Happy

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man appreciate it. Good to know. I was going to get two thinking it would help the aggression but I won’t do that now. Do you think I need more rock? I have over 50lbs of rock 25lb base and 25lb live

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your amount of rocks looks fine to me for the total number of fish you'll probably end up with. To me I think its a 'balance' when it comes to aggression: More rocks to hide means less swim-room. Might more swim-room (fewer rocks) also help cut down on aggression? Again, I think a balance helps, and you seem to have it. ;Happy

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I was reading they are hardy and good for beginners as well as peaceful. Good to know. What would you recommend for colorful lively fish. I love the clowns. I feel like I might just get more clowns. They seem to be the most vibrant and have the beet personalities.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are indeed hardy, and good for beginners. But they are extremely active (which is fun to watch), but tend to constantly chase other fish (meaning harass— sometimes to death).

The one thing I wish I would have learned early-on is this: Your tank... 45 gallons or 450 gallons!.. IS limited. It WILL fill up with fish. You need to window-shop online (the Worldwide Inter-Webby, Lol!) before making some strategic decisions. Otherwise you will have 6 fish in your 45-gallon... only 3 of which you “REALLY” like, and with no room left for that favorite fish you wish you would have bought. Then you are boxed-in. :(

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a new cardinal rule. Don't put any damsel in a tank unless you can easily get it out. I just spent two months trying to out smart a Roland's, while every day it terrorized others. My gramma is still scared to come out.

Wouldn't take a sixline if you gave it to me for free.

And you generally can't put multiple clowns in a small tank. A pair will form, then the odds are war will break out. I had one pair where the female would relentlessly bite me, and another pair where the male continuously tried to kill a fire fish. They can be as mean as any damsel.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok noted. Haha. What would you guys recommend. For some vibrant fish with good personality. I forgot I have a lawnmower blenny but he’s always in the rocks. Also I know it’s a small tank how do I know how many fish I can get before it’s over crowded. I was thinking of a pistol and goby pair at some point. It’s how I relax just watching the tank come to life. Is so cool. Lol

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got: Firefish (bonded pair), Bangaii Cardinals (bonded pair), Pink Streaked Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Blue Chromis, and even a Black Molly. These have been completely peaceful and non territorial.

I've also got: two Grammas and two Flame Hawks. They cause no problems. The Hawks wander around the tank. Grammas have staked out holes. I listed these separate because some people have reported they can be semi-aggressive.

Had: two pairs of Clowns, pair of Longnose Hawks, and Roland's Damsel. All aggressors that wanted to terrorize.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got: Firefish (bonded pair), Bangaii Cardinals (bonded pair), Pink Streaked Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Blue Chromis, and even a Black Molly. These have been completely peaceful and non territorial.

I've also got: two Grammas and two Flame Hawks. They cause no problems. The Hawks wander around the tank. Grammas have staked out holes. I listed these separate because some people have reported they can be semi-aggressive.

Had: two pairs of Clowns, pair of Longnose Hawks, and Roland's Damsel. All aggressors that wanted to terrorize.
How big is your tank?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure anyone answered your question about Damsels though and compatibility. With damsels you want to start your research on ones in the Chrysiptera genus. This should get you started so you can read through the various lower classifications.

Azure, blue devels, yellow tails, springer's, talbot, fiji blue devil, starck's, rollands, king, three band, blue line, canary, and a couple others I can't remember. Out of this list I have mixed and owned in a 40 breeder Azures x 3 and Talbots x 3.

In my current 210 display I have 7 sapphires, 1 azure, and 1 surge. Sapphires are by far the largest damsels in the tank and somewhat the most frisky. They are spawning so constantly digging, guarding, and doing the mating dance. Out of that list 1 starck would be swell. Talbots would also be nice. Azures would also work.

I think with Damsels you just need to have a system setup with plenty of space for them to retreat, sleep, and corals/rock to break the chase that will start. They are very active. Add speed, color, movement, and more. They tend to get a bad rap because more often than not they are the first fish added because they are strong enough to live through new hobbyist errors.

All of them will work but one needs to understand, have a proper setup, and of course a large understanding of what is acceptable by keeping them. If you don't have a place to rehome them, or if you don't want to, or if you don't think it is worth the risk to disrupt your reef then a damsel isn't for you.

By you I mean we the hobbyists. Personally I wouldn't have a system without them.

SirenBethany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure anyone answered your question about Damsels though and compatibility. With damsels you want to start your research on ones in the Chrysiptera genus. This should get you started so you can read through the various lower classifications.

Azure, blue devels, yellow tails, springer's, talbot, fiji blue devil, starck's, rollands, king, three band, blue line, canary, and a couple others I can't remember. Out of this list I have mixed and owned in a 40 breeder Azures x 3 and Talbots x 3.

In my current 210 display I have 7 sapphires, 1 azure, and 1 surge. Sapphires are by far the largest damsels in the tank and somewhat the most frisky. They are spawning so constantly digging, guarding, and doing the mating dance. Out of that list 1 starck would be swell. Talbots would also be nice. Azures would also work.

I think with Damsels you just need to have a system setup with plenty of space for them to retreat, sleep, and corals/rock to break the chase that will start. They are very active. Add speed, color, movement, and more. They tend to get a bad rap because more often than not they are the first fish added because they are strong enough to live through new hobbyist errors.

All of them will work but one needs to understand, have a proper setup, and of course a large understanding of what is acceptable by keeping them. If you don't have a place to rehome them, or if you don't want to, or if you don't think it is worth the risk to disrupt your reef then a damsel isn't for you.

By you I mean we the hobbyists. Personally I wouldn't have a system without them.
Do you think if I remove the blue damsel into an isolation box then add other fish it would work?.... or since she was added as the starter fish to cycle the tank in a 29g will she just reclaim her territory. I planned on returning her for half credit to my LFS as I've read they are too aggressive for a reef safe tank, and we know we want a royal Gramma, flame urchin, probably a watchmen goby and pistol shrimp pair, once tank is established a mandarin dragonet, and mixed coral is planned. I am growing fond of her in just two days lol. Perhaps I can just move her into a 10g if I have to keep her lol? I could set up my 10g and then get her a flame hawk or wrasse and call it quits?..... thoughts please since you have had so many damsels.

Back