Damselfish with ich

maheenio

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 8, 2026
Messages
21
Reaction score
7
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. First saltwater tank, 55g. My dad & sister brought home a damselfish from Petco thinking it would be a surprise.


My tanks been running for around 2 months. I was not happy i had to introduce a random fish. I never buy a fish without inspecting it fully & asking a thousand questions.


She seemed to be okay, just some white discolouration on her sides & posted on reddit and some other platforms & learned it was just loss of scales probably from diving deep into the rocks right as she came in. Also asked the Petco aquatics guy my dad purchased the fish from. He said nothing to worry about.

Now I'm thinking it's ich. Theres around 4 tinyyy spots on her fins. I have around 5 other fish in the tank and do not have a quarantine tank.


She's very active, and eating well. I’ve noticed flashing behaviour against the sand as well. Should I return her back to the store as a surrender? I know it won't solve the problem, but she's the only fish with visible dots. It might be difficult to see in the video, but I definitely do see tiny dots.


This is a FOWLR. I have no snails, corals, inverts. So I would be ok with dosing medicine into the tank if that is acceptable. Please let me know as I'm really concerned… :(


Thank you. IMG_9109.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9110.mov
    17.4 MB
Hi guys. First saltwater tank, 55g. My dad & sister brought home a damselfish from Petco thinking it would be a surprise.


My tanks been running for around 2 months. I was not happy i had to introduce a random fish. I never buy a fish without inspecting it fully & asking a thousand questions.


She seemed to be okay, just some white discolouration on her sides & posted on reddit and some other platforms & learned it was just loss of scales probably from diving deep into the rocks right as she came in. Also asked the Petco aquatics guy my dad purchased the fish from. He said nothing to worry about.

Now I'm thinking it's ich. Theres around 4 tinyyy spots on her fins. I have around 5 other fish in the tank and do not have a quarantine tank.


She's very active, and eating well. I’ve noticed flashing behaviour against the sand as well. Should I return her back to the store as a surrender? I know it won't solve the problem, but she's the only fish with visible dots. It might be difficult to see in the video, but I definitely do see tiny dots.


This is a FOWLR. I have no snails, corals, inverts. So I would be ok with dosing medicine into the tank if that is acceptable. Please let me know as I'm really concerned… :(


Thank you. IMG_9109.jpeg

It’s best to keep all posts about the same fish in the same thread.

Scratching is more a symptom of flukes. The fish may well have both. Luckily, with no invertebrates in the tank you can run hyposalinity. Here is my article about that:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.880546/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new