Damsels and other fish

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was in the LFS last week and was looking for something new to add to my 125 that’s been up and running for about 2 months now. I have a pair of Clarki clowns in it already. Decent sized ones.

Long story short one of the employees recommended a fish to me. Called it a domino damsel(which I knew very little about, but swore that clowns were a type of damsel). He told me that they would be fine and he had them in his tank, so trusting in the knowledge he has I walked out the door with 3 of them.

Upon further reading during the week I have come to find out this is a bad recommendation and a horrible choice for my tank? I was looking to do a mostly predator tank to begin with, which is why I chose the larger Clarki clowns. Is this tank death having them in or will I be okay? They are all small 2-2.5 inches each. I’ll pull them out and take them back or just buy something that eats them if I can’t catch them, but I need advice.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So probably get rid of them or find something that eats them if I can’t catch them?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So probably get rid of them or find something that eats them if I can’t catch them?

That’s your call. If you like them keep em and see how it goes or get rid of them now before any issues arise. If you don’t have a way to get them out of your tank I don’t think adding a damsel eating predator is the answer. Many a tank has been broken down to get rid of cranky damsels.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not breaking down this tank when I just got it setup 2 months ago.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of fish are you planning on adding? Dominos can certainly be aggressive. But 3 together in a tank will focus on each other if future tankmates don't want their chosen cave.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking a pair of sand sifters, a lion, maybe a toadfish, and a larger wrasse. Depends on what the LFS can even get. I don’t want a normal fish tank, I want flashy and odd.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are tricky, very elusive even for the most efficient predator. The toadfish and lion would make a meal out of them, if they can catch them. I even had to tear down my small lion tank down to get a blue damsel out, I got tired of seeing him after he refused to be eaten. I'd probably pull them out now before things get complicated.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught one of the 3. The other 2 are proving to be to smart to catch easily. I’ll just have to keep more aggressive fish in the tank.

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught one of the 3. The other 2 are proving to be to smart to catch easily. I’ll just have to keep more aggressive fish in the tank.
Sounds like you want a predator tank. If thats the case, I wouldnt advise keeping clownfish unless it was a larger maroon clownfish. I've had luck keeping damsels with eels, groupers, and lionfish. They are def scrappy enough to hold their own.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maroons and Clarki clowns get about the same size. Mine are already larger. I’m aiming at a mixed reef. Was thinking a dwarf lion, the 2 damsels, the 2 clowns, a snowflake eel, and a larger wrasse. Possibly a tang down the road.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maroons and Clarki clowns get about the same size. Mine are already larger. I’m aiming at a mixed reef. Was thinking a dwarf lion, the 2 damsels, the 2 clowns, a snowflake eel, and a larger wrasse. Possibly a tang down the road.

That's a nice line up; the clarkii's get fat enough, almost as large as dwarf lions in the body. You would have some nice choices in small tangs for that tank.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other problem (besides the aggression) with the domino damsels is that they get ugly when they mature lol. Their juvenile colors are much nicer.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back