Damsels as first fish

TSM Aquatics

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
I have an Azure in my 40 gallon and I've added fish to the tank after him. Azures are one of the least aggressive damselfish. Every fish has it's own personality so it's really hit or miss. Since the addition of my damsel I've added a midas blenny who quickly became the boss of the tank. A platinum clown that the damsel showed no interest in, a pygmy hawk that he didn't bother, a mandarin that he didn't bother either, and an orchid dottyback. He did go after the dottyback the first day but hasn't bothered him since. It's been months and my over crowded 40 gallon is very peaceful. It also has a sixline in it as well.

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
I have an Azure in my 40 gallon and I've added fish to the tank after him. Azures are one of the least aggressive damselfish. Every fish has it's own personality so it's really hit or miss. Since the addition of my damsel I've added a midas blenny who quickly became the boss of the tank. A platinum clown that the damsel showed no interest in, a pygmy hawk that he didn't bother, a mandarin that he didn't bother either, and an orchid dottyback. He did go after the dottyback the first day but hasn't bothered him since. It's been months and my over crowded 40 gallon is very peaceful. It also has a sixline in it as well.

Wow... Maybe you've figured out the way to manage aggression by balancing a bunch of fairly aggressive fish in there, lol. Damsel, midas blenny, dottyback, and sixline - all of those have been some of the most aggressive fish I've ever owned. Amazed that there's no bloodshed in a crowded 40 gallon.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow... Maybe you've figured out the way to manage aggression by balancing a bunch of fairly aggressive fish in there, lol. Damsel, midas blenny, dottyback, and sixline - all of those have been some of the most aggressive fish I've ever owned. Amazed that there's no bloodshed in a crowded 40 gallon.
Yeah, not sure if it was luck, strategy, or a little of both. The sixline was the first fish in the tank over a year ago. The damsel was next. The sixline did go after the damsel the first day but the very next morning they were best pals. Then I added the clown, neither fish bothered him, the clown was bigger than both of them. The next fish was the Blenny and right away the Blenny took over the tank. If any fish went close to his "spot" he let them know. Now, they all understand who the boss is. The mandarin was next and nobody gave her any thought. The pygmy hawk was the same, none of the fish bother it. Last was the dottyback. The damsel went after it for the first day, but that's all it was. They all get along now that the pecking order has been established. No agression during feeding either. I feed them with a baster so they are all used to me for food. I can literally pet them and they are cool with it, lol. Not sure how long it will last, but they've all been getting along for months.

TSM Aquatics

Do you prefer rubble rock, larger rocks or no rock in your sump and why?

• Rubble

Votes: 91 35.3%
  • Larger Rock

Votes: 71 27.5%
  • Nothing

Votes: 67 26.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 29 11.2%
Tunze