Dang... Ich...

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the facts and proven treatments.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/188770-understanding-ich.html

There is no re-inventing the wheel.

If you want to successfully treat and manage the parasite you need to do the research. Hordes of hobbyist always point to these quick treatments that they assume worked in less than 2 weeks when in actuality the parasite is no longer visible to the naked eye and now in the sand bed and substrate completing it's life cycle. The quick cure did nothing.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make amends. Having a fish with ich in your reef tank isn't a laughing matter; it's devastating. Let's approach this in a professional manner, not with ginger, or mint extract. I apologize to the OP.

OP
OP
M

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I agree with Mike J. I have a plan, and I'm keeping it simple, I was just wanting opinions. I've defeated ich before, and we can do it again.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. If the Ich is on a fish, it is in the tank and it will reappear down the road. It is almost pointless to just treat the one fish.

OP
OP
M

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New plan.
Removing all the corals from my tank, dipping them in coral dip and possibly hydrogen peroxide, and then placing them in the frag tank. Then, I'll start the Hyposalinity treatment on the main display tank.
Ill start tomorrow

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't peroxide all the corals. Just leave the DT fallow.

If your fish aren't real picky, you can try feeding them Ick Shield, but since it has CP in it, you'd better make absolutely sure not a single pellet remains. You can also give baths in the powdered version of Ick Shield, or better yet, treat with the powder in hospital tank.

OP
OP
M

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the resources or time to leave the DT fallow. I have a full size sailfin tang, a full size lionfish, and a fill size hippo tang. So, the corals are going to a hospice tank (mainly because I don't want to put them in my frag tank) and I'm going to do a Hyposalinity treatment on the whole DT. This way, I'm not poisoning all my live rock and tank with copper, and its the least stressful for the fish. Because once again, the most important thing is keeping the fish stress fee. And since I'm pulling the corals out, its a good idea to dip them in coralrx or h202 while I'm at it

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the resources or time to leave the DT fallow. I have a full size sailfin tang, a full size lionfish, and a fill size hippo tang. So, the corals are going to a hospice tank (mainly because I don't want to put them in my frag tank) and I'm going to do a Hyposalinity treatment on the whole DT. This way, I'm not poisoning all my live rock and tank with copper, and its the least stressful for the fish. Because once again, the most important thing is keeping the fish stress fee. And since I'm pulling the corals out, its a good idea to dip them in coralrx or h202 while I'm at it

And this why I from now swear to never offer any assistance regrading Marine Ich, done deal.

OP
OP
M

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, idk if going fallow for 72 days is the only option, so no sense in getting upset.
See, I don't have the option to go fallow because im not putting my full grown lion in a tank less than 100 gallons. No way, end of story. My only option now is to treat the DT with hypo. And remove the corals

bamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a plan. Moving corals out sounds like a good option. I have heard that copper will stay in the sand bed and live rock. I have not seen any scientific data on it. Well good luck and hope it all works out for you. I lost all of my fish due to Brokanellia outbreak on January 7th. So I was able to go fallow for a while with out fish. Just added three this past weekend. Fingers crossed. XXXXXX

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see why this course of action will not work. It's not ideal, but it's not like you can throw a fully grown lion into a 20g QT. Having your DT hypo will kill the Ich. Watch water parameters as I've heard mixed stories about hypo killing beneficial bacteria (or it becoming dormant) when doing this in a DT. That lion alone will produce a lot of waste. Keep us posted and good luck!

OP
OP
M

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see why this course of action will not work. It's not ideal, but it's not like you can throw a fully grown lion into a 20g QT. Having your DT hypo will kill the Ich. Watch water parameters as I've heard mixed stories about hypo killing beneficial bacteria (or it becoming dormant) when doing this in a DT. That lion alone will produce a lot of waste. Keep us posted and good luck!
Thanks! And I'll be watching closely. He's made it through a lot. 3 different moves going 650 miles each. You've heard of military brats? How about military fish? Lol

OP
OP
M

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update..
Caught the tank and qted her. Going to hold up on the hypo treatment in main tank until I notice it comes back. I know I'm gonna get heat for this, but I don't want to stress the fish if I don't need be

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back