DA's Waterbox 45.2 Platinum Frag Tank

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted earlier my start with my new WB 45.2 and thought I would put it in the correct place so that I could keep updating the changes, updates and issues I may have with my reefing experience. I will post some current photos shortly.

Big updates:
-I am using two AI Prime HD's on the tank; I am using a set of pre-sets for both and need to make some adjustments so that I don't get an algae breakout or coral bleaching.
-I have been using my NYOS 120 Protein Skimmer for a couple of months; for me this was the first skimmer that I have used in my reefing experience that has been truly plug-n-play. Works perfectly with the small sump as it has a small foot print. The skimmer is pulling out a lot of skimmate and I have what I consider a light bioload - but know I feed heavy.
-Just received my custom top from Safe Top Lids and have been working with Fabio and Jared; a little bit pricey but once I received it "you get what you pay for". This was a custom cut/measured lid that once I got it fit like a glove. This was a great purchase for my tank.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photographs that are current as of today. The isolation tank on the right is for the baby banggai cardinals once they arrive - which is supposed to be any day.
IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg
IMG_0451.jpg

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might note that I do not run the 'socks' for additional filtration. When I ran them I had to rinse them every few days and even when I went to the mesh vs. the felt socks I still cleaned them. The only down side I saw was an slight impact to the flow. The level in the sock area was a little (and I mean little) higher right before being cleaned. I have place more of the bio-spheres in the first chamber to support bio-filtration and use chempure which I hang behind the PS near the 'probe' holder.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to win something yesterday in the WB blue friday so I could get the 28 gal frag tank...so I'll just have to enjoy yours :D
looking good how you like the 2 AI primes?

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't able to join the WB Blue Friday, but it would have been fun to win something. I do like the AI Prime HD, I need to work with them more. I do believe that just one AI Prime would be sufficient since I only have LPS and a few fish.

I wasn't sure at first if I would like the shallower depth tank, but it works for what I want to do with it.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one RedSea filter sock cup to try out. It fits perfectly in the sump - even the shorter sock compartment in the front. I use it to run ROX Carbon from BRS and it seems to be working very well.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a few changes. I have not had good luck with the Neptune ATO so I removed it from the system and purchased the Tunze 3155 ATO; will let you know how that works for me. Since I had the return go dry a few times because of (in my opinion) the Neptune ATO not working, I purchased a second return pump and since I am so pleased with the NYOS Skimmer I purchased the NYOS return pump.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Tunze ATO and really like it. The pump that comes with it is a bit loud when it runs. I did get the 3155 ATO

mrkjeezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a 12" tank but can you measure up to the water level for me? Thanks in advance.

mrkjeezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking,

How often are you refilling the ATO reservoir in the sump?

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the summer it is about every 4 or 5 days, but in the winter with the heat on it seems about every three days. The ATO reservoir is about 2.9 gallons or 10.7L.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI, Waterbox is now making the marine line and the height of that 45.2 is 18inches. I think I might have gone with that one if I were to decide now. The 12 inch height is a little shallow and I would like to have a bit more height for aquascape and I think that there are many fish that exploit the total water column and the added height would be of benefit. I love my Platinum Frag, just would like the extra height.

Are you still looking to decide on what you want to get or have you already ordered/received the system?

mrkjeezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah I've been looking at that as well, I currently have an Innovative Marine SR60 and don't really want to go with an AIO type tank ( I would rather have a sump). Although the marine line has a sump it's pretty much a hybrid because it still has that whole baffle wall. Yes its 18" high but its only really gives you 15-16" in width vice the 24" of the shallow.. Kinda of stuck wondering if i want more horizontal or vertical space for my fish to swim around. Going to go to school for 13 months and have to down grade to a 30-45 gallon tank in the mean time and I have to figure out which tank will suit my needs. Decisions.... decisions...

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acanS.jpg
bbc1.jpg
fts.jpg
dfpf.jpg
FRONT ACAN.jpg
rIGHT sIDE IN.jpg
FRONT.jpg
acanS.jpg
bbc1.jpg
fts.jpg
dfpf.jpg
FRONT ACAN.jpg
Thought I better update my build photos since it has been a while. Things are starting to fill in and I managed to keep one of my fry from the Banggai cardinal breeding and he/she seems to be doing great. As you can tell I love acans and mushrooms and am trying my hand at rearing a purple sponge that was recommended by my LFS. Poor pic of the dragon face pipefish but he is definitely thriving.

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back on these past several months, I think the one thing I would have done differently is to do a deeper sandbed. I have added a little bit ~4lbs more but what a pain to do and do it so you don't start a cycle.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Lovely scapre.
How is the tank doing?

OP
OP
Almondkc

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually doing well. My GSP are doing their usual taking over one rock from a small frag they have grown exponentially. My acans have outgrown the tiles I fragged them to. All great problems to have. I am trying to find out if I can convert the ATO chamber into a refugium. I like having my 5 gallon jugs of RO as the designated ATO reservoir, then I know it doesn't run out so quickly.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back