DaStaCo Calcium reactor throughts and review

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

I figure I would start writing up reviews on some of the products/equipment that I have used or currently using. I’m a gadget guy so I have gone through a TON… I MEAN A TON of different reefing equipment just for the heck of it. I am not sponsored or affiliated with the company. Just a hobbyist sharing my experiences.

There wasn’t a lot of information and there is still not a lot of information regarding these automated calcium reactor. I have gone through a few different brands of Calx reactors in the past.. Korallin, Lifereef, MRC, GEO, etc… I moved away from Calx reactor since dosing was so easier and cheaper, but once I upgraded to my 350 gal system it just wasn’t viable. I did some research and the automated Calx peaked my interested so I purchased one just to give it a try….

SETUP

DaStaCo Xtream A2 rated for 300 gal – I picked a slightly smaller unit than my system, but there was a few reasons for that.

• My 350gal system is fairly new, recently upgraded from a 80 gal,, so I didn’t have wall to wall SPS. I figure it’ll be years before my little colonies will push over this Calx limit.
  • From experience I know that with a Calx setup, ph will drop drastically. So my plan was to dose kalkwasser to increase my ph (ATO was refilling about 2 gals a day on average).
  • Also I had tons of soda ash I could use if Kalk wasn’t enough.
My first impression; the reactor felt pretty sturdy and well crafted, but there was also a DIY kind of feel to it. The reactor chamber are pretty tall but felt very light, which was unexpected for me. All the reactors I have used in the past were shorter and heavier. The reason why it was lighter is because the design was so simple. The reactor itself had a small eheim 1046 and a small co2 chamber with a float valve and that was it. Also the whole unit was design to come apart easily for cleaning and maintenance which will encourage us to keep up with the maintenance.

The unit will come with everything you need; except for the a CO2 tank and media (DaStaCo have their own recommended coarse media, it’s a tad pricier but is more pure and they last longer)

Putting this thing together was fairly easy and straight forward. The hardest part for me and most guys in the hobby is to read the manual that came in the box. Here’s my biggest tip if you are setting this unit up. READ THE WHOLE MANUAL AND FOLLOW every single detail! And I mean EVERY little detail. Trust me on this… you will save a lot of time and headache by doing so. This unit was design to work in a very specific way, so setting it up correctly is very important or if you will have deal with random alarms once you have it running.

OPERATION

Once you finish setting it up Calx correctly you are pretty much set. If you need to increase or decrease your alk, it’s as simple as just turning a knob on the controller unit. You won’t have to deal with bubble count, or effluent output or ph probes. The controller will do all of that for you, but how?

Well the traditional Calx you have a co2 regulator that push co2 into the reactor at a certain speed (bubble count) until the ph probe either open/close the co2 solenoid. Also the amount of water that gets pushed into the reactor will affect the ph inside the reactor’s chamber. So with a traditional Calx, unless you have it setup correctly you will always have some sort of fluctuation of ph inside the reactor, therefore the effluent won’t be consistent. All this might be fine for your reef tank, but if you find yourself wondering why you alk/calc keeps fluctuating every few days… causing you to adjust that needle valve… then you don’t have it setup 100% correctly.

The DaStaCo has no ph probe, No more ph probe calibration!! The way it works is through the idea of Co2 saturation. Co2 will get pumped into the Co2 chamber where a float switch will control when the Co2 solenoid will open/close. So the ph inside the reactor will stay consistent and steady. The knobs on the controller only controls how often the peristaltic pump comes on to push effluent out. Now I won’t get into more detail as this is the basics of the operations.

Maintenance/Parts/Support

One of my biggest worries prior to purchasing this unit was having support and parts readily available since the company was overseas. Surprisingly, AMS DaStaCO is by far the best support company I have dealt with. They have a Facebook support page setup, I believe the moderator is the owner of the company, providing support. I had the opportunity to contact support a few times for some minor things, it was so simple… facebook post, facebook messenger, whatsapp, I even got a one on one facetime to get issues resolve. The main distributor here in the state is Uniquecorals, they can offer you support too but after joining the facebook support I never found they need to get in touch with uniquecorals, I just went into the support page. There was an incident where I needed to replace the float switch… AMS sent that part out to me in a rush from overseas, I received the replacement part in 1 week time! This was just as fast as any company in the state. AWESOME support!! For the yearly maintenance parts like the peristaltic tubing and pump rotors you can simply purchase those through uniquecorals. I usually do so whenever they have a sale on black Friday and you are set for the year.

PROS

• Awesome support, best I’ve seen
  • Super reliable once setup correctly
  • Set and forget system
  • Easy to tune
  • Easy to maintain as the reactor was design to come apart easily
CONS

• It’s a bit on the pricey side but considering everything that comes with the unit it’s ok
  • Must be setup correctly! (can’t stop emphasizing this)
  • Unit is pretty sensitive alarms can trigger pretty easily
  • Unless you are very familiar with the unit, it’s hard to determine what’s wrong with the unit when alarm goes off
  • Yearly maintenance parts must be purchase through their distributor

Final Thoughts

I think they unit was well worth the money. It’s a solid unit and it’s easy to tune I would recommend this to anybody that’s looking to get into a Calx setup. If you are an experience hobbyist and if you have a good grasp on how Calx should be setup then you probably won’t need an automated Calx. I’ve used this unit for over year move on to try the Deltec Twintech 1500, another automated Calx just to give it a try. I’ve been running the Deltec for a few months now.. I will be posting my experience with the Deltec setup down the road.

Please feel free to post any questions, or comments on how I can improve my next reviews. I know it’s a lot of reading but hope this will get you a good idea of what this unit can do for you.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good article, I have a A-1 that is waiting to get started. I bought it while it was on sale during Christmas. My tank isn’t ready for a Calc reactor yet.

Your Cons are a bit.... off IMHO
The Price is what it is. When you total up a dual chamber reactor like a GEO and all the needed parts, the price is darn close.
Of course you need to set it up correctly, this should not be a Con.
Also with most higher end reactors most parts need to get bought through the distributor. Since they are only sold in one place in the US it makes senses this is where you get parts.
Now a thing that is a Con IMHO is that it’s 240v and needs a transformer. This thing should be DC and run off an AC to DC wall wart rather than all the Euro plugs.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- when I was half way through the odd manual, I was: "oh my god what in heck have I gotten myself in to??"
But its actually perfect, if you slow down and pay attention. And the setup is really just a matter of hooking things together and isn't particularly complicated.

I think the A2 will be plenty big for you. My system is 400 total gallons and tons of big sps colonies. I'm at 3 on the dial right now. I run a little kalk too though.

Mine has been almost 1.5 years with no problems- up until last week. It was my fault I think. I moved the system and forgot to position the solenoid above the system, and it went bad. So Co2 kept flowing when the light wasn't on. I messaged them on facebook, and quickly got on a video chat with (sorry I forget his name) but he is super helpful. Determined it was the solenoid, ordered one from unique and I'm back in business.

The eheim rotor is supposed to be changed once a year. I asked him about how to detach the parts, and he said first time call him back and he would do it with me.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now a thing that is a Con IMHO is that it’s 240v and needs a transformer. This thing should be DC and run off an AC to DC wall wart rather than all the Euro plugs.

Not sure I understand- yours didn't come with a transformer, or you are saying it shouldn't need one?

OP
OP
Hersheyb

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand- yours didn't come with a transformer, or you are saying it shouldn't need one?
I think he s saying having to need a transformer to run this setup should be a con, but I can see why AMS hasn't move to implement.. they aren't that big and aren't that well known to make that move. Most of their customer base are on their side of the world.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 110-220 step up unit. But I’m suggesting the need for that item could be eliminated if the manufacture used DC rather than AC.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Builders did a review of this Calx about 2 months ago (youtube) it said that it is for intermediate users of Calx's. From your opinion, is this correct? Will a person not familiar with traditional Calx have difficulties working with or dialing in this Calx?

Also, you said you have experience with other Calx, can you summarize your experiences with the better units you've used... and rate those Calx compared to the DaStaCo?

OP
OP
Hersheyb

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good article, I have a A-1 that is waiting to get started. I bought it while it was on sale during Christmas. My tank isn’t ready for a Calc reactor yet.

Your Cons are a bit.... off IMHO
The Price is what it is. When you total up a dual chamber reactor like a GEO and all the needed parts, the price is darn close.
Of course you need to set it up correctly, this should not be a Con.
Also with most higher end reactors most parts need to get bought through the distributor. Since they are only sold in one place in the US it makes senses this is where you get parts.

The price comparison I'm making is to the rest of the calcium reactors thehe market. For example A GEO unit for a 300gal system would run you about $550 + anywhere between 100-250 for a secondary chamber depending on the size, a co2 regulator $100 - $350 and a peristaltic pump is a versa peristaltic pump $150. So... if your on a budget you can get a setup for $900; which is over half the cost of an A2. Most of my comparison were made towards common calcium reactors in the market.

I can't belive I forgot to mentioned the transformer required to run this unit lol. I agree with you that should be added to the con list.

OP
OP
Hersheyb

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Builders did a review of this Calx about 2 months ago (youtube) it said that it is for intermediate users of Calx's. From your opinion, is this correct? Will a person not familiar with traditional Calx have difficulties working with or dialing in this Calx?

Also, you said you have experience with other Calx, can you summarize your experiences with the better units you've used... and rate those Calx compared to the DaStaCo?

I think this would be perfect unit for a 1st timer since you won't have to fiddle with flow and bubble count. It's like learning how to drive... if you learned how to drive manual first than got an automatic car... driving that automatic car won't be an issue... but if you learned how to drive an automatic car first and then moved on to drive a manual car... learning to drive that manual car would be a challenge... i think this idea can be applied here to..

Last edited:

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. :)
I've used a GEO unit, but had endless trouble with it leaking air in, and eventually gave up on it. Tons of other people like them, so it probably because I'm an idiot. I've also used an MTC reactor, and really liked it. Very simple but worked great. I never use ph probes and controllers. Before that I used other kinds bur forget the brands

TriggerFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I am currently setting up my new 540 gallon system. Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen issues, I had to settle down with a shorter stand (34") than planned.

Just like the OP, I am starting this tank from scratch, so it will probably take years before there is a reasonable demand from the calcium reactor. This being said, I have read a few comments where users say DaStaCo units are underrated.

Due to the above mentioned space limitation, do you think the A2 will suffice for this build or will I have to go a step further and forced to install it outside, next to the tank (assuming the wife approves it)? Thoughts?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

I figure I would start writing up reviews on some of the products/equipment that I have used or currently using. I’m a gadget guy so I have gone through a TON… I MEAN A TON of different reefing equipment just for the heck of it. I am not sponsored or affiliated with the company. Just a hobbyist sharing my experiences.

There wasn’t a lot of information and there is still not a lot of information regarding these automated calcium reactor. I have gone through a few different brands of Calx reactors in the past.. Korallin, Lifereef, MRC, GEO, etc… I moved away from Calx reactor since dosing was so easier and cheaper, but once I upgraded to my 350 gal system it just wasn’t viable. I did some research and the automated Calx peaked my interested so I purchased one just to give it a try….

SETUP

DaStaCo Xtream A2 rated for 300 gal – I picked a slightly smaller unit than my system, but there was a few reasons for that.

• My 350gal system is fairly new, recently upgraded from a 80 gal,, so I didn’t have wall to wall SPS. I figure it’ll be years before my little colonies will push over this Calx limit.
  • From experience I know that with a Calx setup, ph will drop drastically. So my plan was to dose kalkwasser to increase my ph (ATO was refilling about 2 gals a day on average).
  • Also I had tons of soda ash I could use if Kalk wasn’t enough.
My first impression; the reactor felt pretty sturdy and well crafted, but there was also a DIY kind of feel to it. The reactor chamber are pretty tall but felt very light, which was unexpected for me. All the reactors I have used in the past were shorter and heavier. The reason why it was lighter is because the design was so simple. The reactor itself had a small eheim 1046 and a small co2 chamber with a float valve and that was it. Also the whole unit was design to come apart easily for cleaning and maintenance which will encourage us to keep up with the maintenance.

The unit will come with everything you need; except for the a CO2 tank and media (DaStaCo have their own recommended coarse media, it’s a tad pricier but is more pure and they last longer)

Putting this thing together was fairly easy and straight forward. The hardest part for me and most guys in the hobby is to read the manual that came in the box. Here’s my biggest tip if you are setting this unit up. READ THE WHOLE MANUAL AND FOLLOW every single detail! And I mean EVERY little detail. Trust me on this… you will save a lot of time and headache by doing so. This unit was design to work in a very specific way, so setting it up correctly is very important or if you will have deal with random alarms once you have it running.

OPERATION

Once you finish setting it up Calx correctly you are pretty much set. If you need to increase or decrease your alk, it’s as simple as just turning a knob on the controller unit. You won’t have to deal with bubble count, or effluent output or ph probes. The controller will do all of that for you, but how?

Well the traditional Calx you have a co2 regulator that push co2 into the reactor at a certain speed (bubble count) until the ph probe either open/close the co2 solenoid. Also the amount of water that gets pushed into the reactor will affect the ph inside the reactor’s chamber. So with a traditional Calx, unless you have it setup correctly you will always have some sort of fluctuation of ph inside the reactor, therefore the effluent won’t be consistent. All this might be fine for your reef tank, but if you find yourself wondering why you alk/calc keeps fluctuating every few days… causing you to adjust that needle valve… then you don’t have it setup 100% correctly.

The DaStaCo has no ph probe, No more ph probe calibration!! The way it works is through the idea of Co2 saturation. Co2 will get pumped into the Co2 chamber where a float switch will control when the Co2 solenoid will open/close. So the ph inside the reactor will stay consistent and steady. The knobs on the controller only controls how often the peristaltic pump comes on to push effluent out. Now I won’t get into more detail as this is the basics of the operations.

Maintenance/Parts/Support

One of my biggest worries prior to purchasing this unit was having support and parts readily available since the company was overseas. Surprisingly, AMS DaStaCO is by far the best support company I have dealt with. They have a Facebook support page setup, I believe the moderator is the owner of the company, providing support. I had the opportunity to contact support a few times for some minor things, it was so simple… facebook post, facebook messenger, whatsapp, I even got a one on one facetime to get issues resolve. The main distributor here in the state is Uniquecorals, they can offer you support too but after joining the facebook support I never found they need to get in touch with uniquecorals, I just went into the support page. There was an incident where I needed to replace the float switch… AMS sent that part out to me in a rush from overseas, I received the replacement part in 1 week time! This was just as fast as any company in the state. AWESOME support!! For the yearly maintenance parts like the peristaltic tubing and pump rotors you can simply purchase those through uniquecorals. I usually do so whenever they have a sale on black Friday and you are set for the year.

PROS

• Awesome support, best I’ve seen
  • Super reliable once setup correctly
  • Set and forget system
  • Easy to tune
  • Easy to maintain as the reactor was design to come apart easily
CONS

• It’s a bit on the pricey side but considering everything that comes with the unit it’s ok
  • Must be setup correctly! (can’t stop emphasizing this)
  • Unit is pretty sensitive alarms can trigger pretty easily
  • Unless you are very familiar with the unit, it’s hard to determine what’s wrong with the unit when alarm goes off
  • Yearly maintenance parts must be purchase through their distributor

Final Thoughts

I think they unit was well worth the money. It’s a solid unit and it’s easy to tune I would recommend this to anybody that’s looking to get into a Calx setup. If you are an experience hobbyist and if you have a good grasp on how Calx should be setup then you probably won’t need an automated Calx. I’ve used this unit for over year move on to try the Deltec Twintech 1500, another automated Calx just to give it a try. I’ve been running the Deltec for a few months now.. I will be posting my experience with the Deltec setup down the road.

Please feel free to post any questions, or comments on how I can improve my next reviews. I know it’s a lot of reading but hope this will get you a good idea of what this unit can do for you.
Great write up and much appreciated as I’m having the debate (with myself) between DaStaCo and Deltec. Really helpful information and I am checking your posting daily eagerly awaiting your Deltec review - thanks again.

OP
OP
Hersheyb

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I am currently setting up my new 540 gallon system. Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen issues, I had to settle down with a shorter stand (34") than planned.

Just like the OP, I am starting this tank from scratch, so it will probably take years before there is a reasonable demand from the calcium reactor. This being said, I have read a few comments where users say DaStaCo units are underrated.

Due to the above mentioned space limitation, do you think the A2 will suffice for this build or will I have to go a step further and forced to install it outside, next to the tank (assuming the wife approves it)? Thoughts?
It really depends how much demand you are going to need.. how much sps your going to end up having in the system.. You might be able to get away with an A2 for a few years but if you are planning to have wall to wall filled sps and they all eventually turn into large colonies... you might want to stick to at least an A3.

OP
OP
Hersheyb

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up and much appreciated as I’m having the debate (with myself) between DaStaCo and Deltec. Really helpful information and I am checking your posting daily eagerly awaiting your Deltec review - thanks again.
Thanks! I will be working on a deltec review soon.. I have about 8 months on the Deltec Carx so it's coming.

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit late to the thread. Thank you for the awesome write up. A couple of rather dumb questions:
How quiet is the unit? I am planning to install it I the living room...
Can it be installed in the sump or should it be set outside? I have actually quite a bit of space inside the sump but outside space is at premium.
Thank you very much in advance.

OP
OP
Hersheyb

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit late to the thread. Thank you for the awesome write up. A couple of rather dumb questions:
How quiet is the unit? I am planning to install it I the living room...
Can it be installed in the sump or should it be set outside? I have actually quite a bit of space inside the sump but outside space is at premium.
Thank you very much in advance.
The unit is pretty silent, the only thing that will make noise is the peristaltic pump but it's not too bad. The solenoid will occasionally click just like any other carx. The unit can be installed inside the sump.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my solenoid makes a pretty loud click every few seconds. I have it in a basement sump room, but if you are trying to have a silent living room you might be annoyed. The circulation pump is quiet. The dosing pump has developed a loud clicking sound like a metronome, once every rotation. That was at about 1.5 years old. The support guys say it is fine, but I am not the only one with that.

*HOVA*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

Final Thoughts

Did you ever get around to writing a review of the Deltec? I'm looking into automatic CaRx myself and would love to hear opinions from someonone who has used more then 1! I was considering the US made brand but I hear a lot of complaints about their support so feel I've already ruled them out....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back