DaStaCo Classic Calcium

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do supply a plug adapter but it does not step up the voltage to 220v so the pumps will not work properly. You must have at least a small step up converter. The one I’m using is up to 50 Watts And Is more than enough. It cost $15.00 at frys.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can also tell you that they are incredibly under rated. They can easily handle a tank twice the size stated in my opinion.
This is true I have a 450 gallon all SPS system for the last year and I only run it a 2.5 setting out of 10 it is rated for max 300 gallons.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! I've wanted one of these reactors for a while. I will one of these days. If only Unique did a 10% off black friday sale on these bad boys and I'd pull the trigger this year. I love that kind of incentive to make me pull the trigger. Wishful thinking! These things never go on sale. My family's been begging me for that 65" LG OLED T.V. I think this holiday the price is going to drop to $2,300. I know the pricing on the Dastaco's will never change so it might have to wait a bit longer.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is true I have a 450 gallon all SPS system for the last year and I only run it a 2.5 setting out of 10 it is rated for max 300 gallons.

That’s interesting @Jonty, mine is rated for 400 gal, my system is 400 gal and I run mine at a 5 setting to maintain alk at 7.7. Still lots of headroom, but not as much as yours. I wonder why the difference?

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the DaStaCo XtremA Model A-2 could be my coral grows very slowly :)

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use the Dastaco media I do but wondered if it makes a difference if you use something else, given the low ph the unit runs at I have been reluctant to use anything but what is recomended.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I filled it with the Triton DaStaCo media over a year ago and topped it up with the new DaStaCo media a month or so ago. Probably 50/50. They look very similar. I have the first gen controller so that may account for the difference. How many time per day do you vent? Mine vents once per day.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely going to look into these especially with Black Friday coming up. Switching up the voltage is not appealing because for me that's one more thing to break and wire manage. The Geo's are appealing but I see so many people running expensive feed pumps.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a beautiful day in paradise if Unique did something cool like a Black Friday deal maybe 10% off the reactors......:)

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely going to look into these especially with Black Friday coming up. Switching up the voltage is not appealing because for me that's one more thing to break and wire manage. The Geo's are appealing but I see so many people running expensive feed pumps.
I don't want to burst your bubble so don't hold your breathe on the Black Friday thing coming up. Ive watched these for the last several years and Unique Coral never runs a sale on the DaStaCo units. It would be nice if they did 10% off but thats wishful thinking. If they did they'd sell a grip of them over the holidays including myself. You might be able to twist their arm to get a discount on the media but as for the reactors you have a better chance of getting obducted by aliens. LOL!!!:D

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the website and saw these were over 2k for my size tank. I'm definitely going with a Geo or Various Pump Octo. I can buy a premium regulator and a product more people have used for much less. I see the appeal however

If I had a couple K to throw around on CR I wouldn't stress a sale haha

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you buy a quality reactor a good regulator and a nice peristaltic pump to feed your flow through your just about at 2k anyway.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo 624 -$550
Electric Carbon Doser - $319
Sicce feed pump $43

-10% Military Discount

$820.80

I could also but the SMC 115 for another 100 bucks if I wanted the extra chamber. What am I missing?

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well imo the sicce will work for a feed pump but it will require tinkering and attention to make sure your needle or pinch valve whichever you use doesn’t clog. What works the best is an adjustable peristaltic pump like the masterflex which you can usually pick up used for about 3-500 bucks, new would put you way over. You will also need a ph probe and controller which should add another 100 and requires recalibration every 1-2 months. Still it is less than the dastaco but not by a large amount when you consider what we tend to spend on everything as a whole. I can honestly say that I absolutely do not feel like I over paid at all for what I am getting out of my reactor.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're definitely on the right track. I'd say if you want you could pop for a peristaltic continuous feed pump which goes for a few hundred bucks instead of the sicce. I know you can get a pretty nice setup for $1,000-$1,200

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well imo the sicce will work for a feed pump but it will require tinkering and attention to make sure your needle or pinch valve whichever you use doesn’t clog. What works the best is an adjustable peristaltic pump like the masterflex which you can usually pick up used for about 3-500 bucks, new would put you way over. You will also need a ph probe and controller which should add another 100 and requires recalibration every 1-2 months. Still it is less than the dastaco but not by a large amount when you consider what we tend to spend on everything as a whole. I can honestly say that I absolutely do not feel like I over paid at all for what I am getting out of my reactor.

I found this video to be pretty helpful and like this approach. He kind of rambles but it's worth hearing him out.

I don't think you're implying it but I definitely dont feel you overpaid. Everyone has different things that work for them. On my last tank I was able to sell a lot of what was left when I lost my equipment to the hurricane. I plan on fragging more to pay for my equipment this time. Investing in equipment that will aid in growth and keep the PH high IMO is worthwhile.

I'm fortunate enough to live near World Wide Corals and see how they do things. In their main displays they have GEO's fed by the Sicce pump. I plan on copying their method of success.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I saw that video and attempted that method with my lifereef carx when I was having issues with my $50 needle valve. I wish you the best of luck and only wished I lived near a place like wwc to get guidance and incite from.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 146 40.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 183 50.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.9%
Back