Dastaco or Pacific Sun Calcfeeder Pro

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since going from a 120g to 260g the demand for alk/calc/mag has increased substantially. I also switched from Red Sea Pro to Tropic Marin regular salt so I'm not getting that heavy alk from the Pro. It's finally time for a calcium reactor. I've done some research and I like the approach both Dastaco and Pacific Sun are taking with their reactors.

Pacific Sun has a sweet pre-order deal right now, I can get everything but the reg and media for about $1100, including shipping. Add in a good reg and it's about $1450. Dastaco includes a reg, but no media for $1925. Shipping may be extra, checking on that now. So I'd be paying about $500 more for the Dastaco. The Pacific Sun is a brand new model. I don't think they've made calc reactors before and it has some new tech using LEDs to monitor CO2 levels. Similar concept to the Dastaco. It's just a new product so somewhat unproven at this point. Dastaco gets nothing but rave reviews.

If anyone has opinions either way I'd appreciate the feedback, especially if you've purchased products from either of these companies before.

robbous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting the pacific sun pro reactor their largest model for my 650 gallon system and will be filling it with the Dastaco media. still waiting on that e-mail that it has been shipped to me. They have very nice products as i also own 2 of their lamps and their 5th kore loser as well. looking forward to getting this reactor

OP
OP
Johnseye

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting the pacific sun pro reactor their largest model for my 650 gallon system and will be filling it with the Dastaco media. still waiting on that e-mail that it has been shipped to me. They have very nice products as i also own 2 of their lamps and their 5th kore loser as well. looking forward to getting this reactor

I just learned...shipments of the Calcfeeder Pro will be in the last week of October. First shipments of CalcFeeder Basic units (without the advanced controller) were shipped last and this week. Pacific Sun is waiting for controller boards for the step motor pumps with touch screen - one of their suppliers had a delay and it will postpone shipments for two weeks.

OP
OP
Johnseye

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More delays in shipping of this reactor likely puts it about a month out. I bought one so will update as I learn more or get it.

Insane320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your pacific sun reactor? I am looking at Dastaco OR Pacific Sun for my 320 display reef?

OP
OP
Johnseye

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your pacific sun reactor? I am looking at Dastaco OR Pacific Sun for my 320 display reef?

I had a couple speed bumps getting things going, but I was one of the first owners. After I got the issues sorted it's been rock solid stable. I'd buy one again and prefer it over the Dastaco because of the cost, and I have more flexibility with the media I can use.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy of mine has the AC2 Pro (if I recall correctly). It is a really nice unit, with lots of cool features, but it has been a little temperamental and getting parts something of a challenge. I also wonder how reliable it's going to be given the choices of circulation and feed pump (I'm all about reliability in the long term). I've been using the MTC Pro-Cal for almost 20 years, and while I have modified it heavily (and replaced the circulation pump once), it has been quite enduring. I tend to view the CaRx as perhaps THE critical piece of equipment for my tank after the main return pump, so reliability, bulletproof-ness is an important consideration for me. Just my opinion, of course. There's a long thread over at RC on the PacSun unit.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't speak to the Pac Sun unit, but I have had a Dastaco running my system for 4 years and it is the best piece of reef equipment I've owned. It has been rock solid from the start. It's truly set and forget. Now that Unique Corals sells them in the US, the cost is much cheaper than when I bought mine directly from the manufacturer (the shipping cost more than half what the reactor cost!), but even at what I paid, it has been totally worth it.

@Johnseye , you mention more flexibility in media use. What do you mean by this? All calcium reactors work on the same principal -- dissolving calcium carbonate.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to the Pac Sun unit, but I have had a Dastaco running my system for 4 years and it is the best piece of reef equipment I've owned. It has been rock solid from the start. It's truly set and forget. Now that Unique Corals sells them in the US, the cost is much cheaper than when I bought mine directly from the manufacturer (the shipping cost more than half what the reactor cost!), but even at what I paid, it has been totally worth it.

No issue with the peri pump? Assume it runs continuously?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No issue with the peri pump? Assume it runs continuously?
I have had zero issues with the peri pump despite not even changing the tubing in the 4 years its been running. (I do have a replacement tube and will change it out sooner or later) It is very robust and does not run continuously. At the setting I use (4.5 of 10) I'd very roughly estimate it runs less than a 15 minutes every hour. I could be off by 5 to 10 minutes either direction, but it is far from continuous.

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that this thread is really old. I’m looking at the pacific sun reactor for my 200... anyone have one running for over a year and still like it?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now there are Dastaco, Pac Sun and Deltec.
Wondering if all performance are the same.
Anyone running them for at least a year without major issue
Please share

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back