DaveB's Reef-Pi Build

daveCB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All. I currently have a Reef-Pi that is a complete DIY and running most aspects of by 30 Gallon small reef tank. I will be rebuilding my Reef-Pi system to include a Reef-Pi hat Goby along with additional capabilities. Photos of my existing system will be posted soon and followed by my Re-Build photos.

OP
OP
D

daveCB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on tearing into my existing build today. Currently I have Heating and Cooling control, Power Control and ATO control. The existing build also includes a local touch screen.

Now that I have the new HAT Goby, I am planning on expanding to also control lighting, PH and Doser.

My first issue out of the box is power. I barely have enough amperage currently to power what I have. I need to increase to power to 6 Amps or so based on my calculations.

Mike - If your watching, is there a way to introduce a secondary and dedicated power source to your Mars Aqua adaptor? My lighting is the largest power drain on my system.

Last edited:

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mars Aqua adapter doesn't draw much current. In fact, it is actually powered by the Mar Aqua lights; reef-pi is only providing a control signal.

I posted some pictures in my thread that show how the board is connected.

Disconnect the JST connectors from the Mars Aqua knobs and connect them to the adapter (CH1 and CH2 ports). The connectors are directional, so they should only plug in one way.

The pwm signal from the reef-pi should be connected to one of the 3 pin JST ports. You can daisy chain the signal out from the other port if you are connecting multiple lights. Let me know if this makes sense. I get this question a lot and I always struggle with how to answer it clearly.

1577027576348.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on tearing into my existing build today. Currently I have Heating and Cooling control, Power Control and ATO control. The existing build also includes a local touch screen.

Now that I have the new HAT Goby, I am planning on expanding to also control lighting, PH and Doser.

My first issue out of the box is power. I barely have enough amperage currently to power what I have. I need to increase to power to 6 Amps or so based on my calculations.

Mike - If your watching, is there a way to introduce a secondary and dedicated power source to your Mars Aqua adaptor? My lighting is the largest power drain on my system.
Looking forward :)
Be careful when you cross more than 3 amp. Most circuits based on jumpers and perma board can handle 3amp or less .

chromstyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a visual explanation. Let me know if you are also looking for how to set up reef-pi. I can start a new database and grab some screenshots of the setup.
1577028526105.png
Dear Michael,
it would be nice if you could post some how to set up reef-pi guides....

i ordered the Goby hat, ph probe, mars aqau adapter and dosing adapter but cant get it to work...
help is needed....

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but would like some advise regarding using just the RasberryPI Zero W to send signal to my Vipraspectra board that I purchased from Tom Bishop eventually I will get a PI Hat to expand when adding additional components to monitor and automate with reef-pi application.

Ok from what pins or port from the RPI can I use to send the PWM signal to the Vipra Boards ?

Thank you,

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back