reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
thanks @Ranjib .. The build hasn't finished yet, there is a dosing pump box that I haven't uploaded yet.

actually I can give you free, because I have some boards that haven't been used yet, only the possibility of shipping to your place in America, from Indonesia will be very expensive, maybe it could be $60-$100 with economic shipping:rolleyes:. the shipping cost is quite expensive for a board for only $13 and an acrylic box around $15.
No worries. I'll be visiting jakarta sometime in future. Its been long time wish to travel there, try some local food. I'll pick up the PCB then, just save one for me :)

https://www.omegasea.net/

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
I took some notes on setting up a pH board today, so I'll share them here too.

Verify the i2c address by running i2cdetect

0x40 and 0x70 are the PCA9685 PWM chip. 0x45 is the pH board.

In reef-pi, make sure pH is enabled in the Configuration | Settings tab.

Then, on the Configuration | Drivers tab, add a driver entry for the ph-board. The default address should be incorrect since it is already assigned to the pca9685, with both jumpers it should be 69 (0x45). reef-pi expects a decimal value instead of the hex value.

HexDecimal
0x4064
0x4165
0x4468
0x4569

With correct address...

After that, you should be able to create an Analog Input on Configuration | Connectors.

Finally, you can add a pH.

Zippyfear

View Badges
Reaction score
yep. I used address 69 based on your using 64 for a 40 address and my 45 address for the board. im getting a reading now that michael says is raw and just needs to be calibrated. i get a reading of -7660
Got mine working as well just now! initial reading around 2700.. but my calibration button isn't clickable - it's grayed out. any idea why that might be?

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Got mine working as well just now! initial reading around 2700.. but my calibration button isn't clickable - it's grayed out. any idea why that might be?
Disable the pH readings in order to calibrate. Then you can enable the pH sensor again after calibration is complete.

alphacustomization

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok, got the PH probe installed and registered on reef-pi but after I calibrate it it keeps giving me an error message of
12/13/2019, 8:32:52 PMUIERROR{"error":"stats for id: '1' not found"} | HTTP 404
and will not display in dashboard. Also don't know if it's related but when I go to the temp tab it gives me

12/13/2019, 8:35:54 PMUIERROR404 page not found | HTTP 404
but both temp probes are registering in dashboard and giving correct temps

Edit:
Don't know exactly what I did but it's working now, thanks for all the help and definitely for reef-pi

Last edited:
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ok, got the PH probe installed and registered on reef-pi but after I calibrate it it keeps giving me an error message of
12/13/2019, 8:32:52 PMUIERROR{"error":"stats for id: '1' not found"} | HTTP 404
and will not display in dashboard. Also don't know if it's related but when I go to the temp tab it gives me

12/13/2019, 8:35:54 PMUIERROR404 page not found | HTTP 404
but both temp probes are registering in dashboard and giving correct temps

Edit:
Don't know exactly what I did but it's working now, thanks for all the help and definitely for reef-pi
Thats a normal and benign error you get when you create a new probe. It means the usage data has not been populated yet. Its an annoying thing that i want to get rid of . Soon..

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
yep. I used address 69 based on your using 64 for a 40 address and my 45 address for the board. im getting a reading now that michael says is raw and just needs to be calibrated. i get a reading of -7660
Welcome to reef2reef :-0) . We love to see build pics

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is there a way to trigger a macro with some type of input, say like a momentary push button?
Not yet. You can use ph or temperature sensor to trigger macro but not ato. ATO is the only module that can be used to emulate switch/buttons. You can definitely do this via API. But im assuming you are looking for something out of the box.

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
So, I did some testing with my newest build today & I noticed something odd for manual lighting control. It may be normal, but it seemed odd to me at least.

For spectrum/intensity on Kessils, I would expect setting them at a higher number would result in a brighter light. However, it works the exact opposite...

Am I just doing something dumb, or is this the way it's designed to work? I can't think of a way I could have incorrectly wired this & still have it functioning. it works perfectly, just backwards from what I would expect.

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
So, I did some testing with my newest build today & I noticed something odd for manual lighting control. It may be normal, but it seemed odd to me at least.

For spectrum/intensity on Kessils, I would expect setting them at a higher number would result in a brighter light. However, it works the exact opposite...

Am I just doing something dumb, or is this the way it's designed to work? I can't think of a way I could have incorrectly wired this & still have it functioning. it works perfectly, just backwards from what I would expect.
I believe there is an option for active high or active low when setting up the pca9685 pwm driver. That setting could cause the backwards behavior.
On active high 1 percent means the squarewave is high for 1 percent of the time(dim) and at 100 is high for 100 percent of the time(bright).
Active low is the opposite a setting of 1 means the squarewave is low for 1 percent of the time(high for 99 percent so bright) and a setting of 100 means the squarewave is low for 100 percent of the time(off)

Last edited:

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
I believe there is an option for active high or active low when setting up the pca9685 pwm driver. That setting could cause the backwards behavior.
On active high 1 percent means the squarewave is high for 1 percent of the time(dim) and at 100 is high for 100 percent of the time(bright).
Active low is the opposite a setting of 1 means the squarewave is low for 1 percent of the time(high for 99 percent so bright) and a setting of 100 means the squarewave is low for 100 percent of the time(off)
That definitely sounds like my problem, but I can't find anywhere to change the active high/low setting. All I see when I set it up is: name, type, address, & frequency. I don't get the option to set active high or low when I edit it, or when I edit a light either.

@Ranjib , am I just missing this toggle? Or is it not available in the 3.0 release?

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That definitely sounds like my problem, but I can't find anywhere to change the active high/low setting. All I see when I set it up is: name, type, address, & frequency. I don't get the option to set active high or low when I edit it, or when I edit a light either.

@Ranjib , am I just missing this toggle? Or is it not available in the 3.0 release?
I have moved it under connector /jack in 3.0. Similar to inlets and outlets, jacks can be reverse in 3.0. I felt this is more inline with how overall reef-pi designed . It’s the same effect at the end, only the setting has been moved to a different place

AbjectMaelstroM

View Badges
Reaction score
With the lights, Temp, and Ph done, I started working on ATO (low) basic setup is done: using ultrasonic sensor to measure when water-level drops to activate outlet (AC1) in which ATO pump is plugged in...everything is gravy. Now, the ultrasonic sensor is on the outside of the sump, against the glass so it should require no maintenance. That being said, ol "Murphy" is always out to get ya so I wanted to have a backup in a form of another (optical or float) sensor to measure HIGH water-level, in case ATO pump gets stuck ON or the LOW-level sensor fails and tells ATO pump to turn on.

I tried creating another ATO (High), polling a second sensor which will be mounted at the HIGH water level mark, set to it to control AC1, turned on alert and disable on alert. That seemed to work, until the LOW-level sensor ran it's check and it turned AC1 back on. This tug of war continues back and forth as each of the two sensors is polled.

So, obviously that is not a correct way of doing it. Is it possible to completely disable AC1 on HIGH level alert until manually reactivated? Or is there another (better?) way to set up low-level ON and high-level OFF checks?

I hope that makes sense lol.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question on temp probe calibration.

I just noticed the feature and gave it a try. I dropped both probes in the same spot and let them sit for 10 minutes and they where 1 degree off from eachother. I used my BBQ instant read for a 3rd reading which matched say probe 1. I then changed the calibration value in probe 2 so that it matched probe 1 and put them back in their spots. When I went to go look back at the calibration value it was gone. Did the calibration save and just does not show? If so how can I reset to defaults since I dont remember which probe I adjusted lol.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
How did you manage to optical sensors to work? I gave up on them and using float sensors.. my macros for float fail safe never works.. I have it like float 1 turn on- wait 30s using timers and turn off equpment, but never shuts it down..so I wired float switch directly to power supply of the pump. So if water rises too high it shuts off power of the pump. This way works 100% regardless of relays and pi.. some thing just doesnt work..

Are you loyal to a certain brand or product in the aquarium industry?

• Yes

Votes: 169 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 235 56.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 14 3.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
The IceCap Gyre is back and better than ever!