reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing more details on your setup?

There's my build thread

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But basically all my "ATO pumps" are 12V.

I have 1 x 12V peristaltic pump that pumps through my kalk reactor for top-ups and 2 x 12V pumps for my Auto Water Changes. So I have 3 x 12V channels on my bank of relays.

I run this 12V supply to these 3 x relays through a separate relay board (Independant of Reef-Pi) that I trigger with 5V (taken off the 5V supply to the Pi) from a separate float switch set at the high level in the sump.

I hope that makes sense to you all.

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original PH probe was kicking readings that were all over the place, so I ordered a replacement and different brand.. works perfectly now! Thanks to all on here for the help...

Is there a reason the scale of the graph isn't more like temp where it will make the graph high to low readings as opposed to 0-12?

ReefPitemp.PNG

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My original PH probe was kicking readings that were all over the place, so I ordered a replacement and different brand.. works perfectly now! Thanks to all on here for the help...

Is there a reason the scale of the graph isn't more like temp where it will make the graph high to low readings as opposed to 0-12?

ReefPitemp.PNG

What brand was causing issues and which worked fine?

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand was causing issues and which worked fine?

This one is the new WORKING one.

The original NON working one was this

But in all fairness, after getting the new one which came with a wet container that was removed before use, after some reading, the original didn't have one, and came dry but probably should have had one. it may have been a previous return that never should have been shipped back out.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefPitemp.PNG
The Y axis limits are currently fixed in the code. We are thinking on how to make this configurable. Me and Michael discussed about this. Expect something to address this problem in generic manner across all charts.. Not sure when we'll have the exact time, but its high on my radar. We are shipping macro reverse, ATO controllable macro etc for 3.1, which i feel is of high priority.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is the new WORKING one.

The original NON working one was this

But in all fairness, after getting the new one which came with a wet container that was removed before use, after some reading, the original didn't have one, and came dry but probably should have had one. it may have been a previous return that never should have been shipped back out.

More than likely was a return. My Milwaukee ph probe came in a wet container and has been working great. The instructions say to put it back into the wet container with ph probe storage solution when not using.

My probe was this:
Milwaukee Instruments MA911B/2 Double Junction Ph Electrode with 2 m Cable and Gel Filled Electrolyte Solution

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely was a return. My Milwaukee ph probe came in a wet container and has been working great. The instructions say to put it back into the wet container with ph probe storage solution when not using.

My probe was this:
Milwaukee Instruments MA911B/2 Double Junction Ph Electrode with 2 m Cable and Gel Filled Electrolyte Solution

Yeah, if the probe is not in sealed buffer , it’s likely to be unusable

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have connected a Servo that I am controlling with the light tab, it works in manual mode from 50 to 99 only it turns about 90degrees in total. Is there extra support needed like a driver ore some additional programming? It will be nice to have, to build a feeder with multiple servos that turn to deposit food in the aquarium.
Reef-pi does not have servo or stepper driver.it can only generate pwm signal .i do have plans for stepper driver (for dosing pump ) in future

mhp1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi dear reefers
Just DL latest version of reef- pi, and trying to set up heater control. But getting this message Hysteresis value must be provided. Can you explain to me what to type in this box. I do not understand the meaning off this box :)

Best Regards
Michael

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi dear reefers
Just DL latest version of reef- pi, and trying to set up heater control. But getting this message Hysteresis value must be provided. Can you explain to me what to type in this box. I do not understand the meaning off this box :)

Best Regards
Michael

Hey. I struggled with this as well, and found that if you put in a random chiller threshold and a phantom outlet the problem goes away. Can always edit the boxes to the correct ones when you get to setting that up.

Des.

mhp1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I struggled with this as well, and found that if you put in a random chiller threshold and a phantom outlet the problem goes away. Can always edit the boxes to the correct ones when you get to setting that up.

Des.
Problen fixed i did as you proposed Des. Thank you very much

peejay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me how to get the raspberry pi camera to work in Reef-Pi? I have checked that it is functioning correctly on the Pi but when I click on the Camera tab in Reef-Pi it just says "Something went wrong. TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of undefined " And then it lists a lot of stuff "in t. in div." etc.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me how to get the raspberry pi camera to work in Reef-Pi? I have checked that it is functioning correctly on the Pi but when I click on the Camera tab in Reef-Pi it just says "Something went wrong. TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of undefined " And then it lists a lot of stuff "in t. in div." etc.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I have not tested the camera subsystem in 3.0 release. I was hoping to remove it going forward. I have not used it recently (most of my use cases are offloaded to dedicated cameras). If possible, try alternatives.
That being said, we have not done anything actively to break the camera feature as well. My guess will be some small changes (like raspistill command line argument etc) is causing the issue. I can take a look and fix it if you are if you plan to use it. Without continuous use it becomes harder for me to keep the functionality well tested. For most other modules I'm able to personally test them since I am actively using them across my tanks.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi dear reefers

Best Regards
Michael
Thd hysteresis value reduces the flapping of equipment (repeated on/off). When you set hysteresis 0.2 and heater threshold to 78, ree-pi will only switch on/off heater when the temperature goes beyond (78+/- 0.2). You should be able to play with the values and see the effect in heater usage chart.

peejay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tested the camera subsystem in 3.0 release. I was hoping to remove it going forward. I have not used it recently (most of my use cases are offloaded to dedicated cameras). If possible, try alternatives.
That being said, we have not done anything actively to break the camera feature as well. My guess will be some small changes (like raspistill command line argument etc) is causing the issue. I can take a look and fix it if you are if you plan to use it. Without continuous use it becomes harder for me to keep the functionality well tested. For most other modules I'm able to personally test them since I am actively using them across my tanks.
I would really appreciate it if you can look into it. I purchased a Pi camera for the job and would like to be able to use it if possible.
Many thanks for your reply.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would really appreciate it if you can look into it. I purchased a Pi camera for the job and would like to be able to use it if possible.
Many thanks for your reply.

Honestly, if you can, I would return the pi camera and grab a Wyze from amazon for $24. You will get a more robust camera, with better picture and controls than the pi cam.

I've tried to use the pi cam in 2.4 and it was a huge serource hog and was not worth the problems it caused though the resource drain.

I'd be surprised if there is more than a handful of people that use that functionality of the pi, because there simply much better options out there ie. Wyze.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which of the Wyze cams do you guys recommend?

I've got 2 of these. They go on sale from time to time, I grabbed them when they were $20 each.

I also have a Nest cam (mostly for the dog :p). The Nest picture is better, but they're not in the same $$ category. For $24 it's hard, if not impossible, to beat the Wyze.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back