reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not against a modular approach at all, in fact if it's done right it could work out great for guys like me trying to make PCB's available. It worked wonders for the 3D printer market, where essentially all the 3D printers at the hobby/home level are based around a couple basic standards of board layouts, physical layouts, and software sets.

Generally form follows function. A great starting point would be to define which features would go on which module, and once that's defined we should standardize connector and signal types between the modules. This way we're not all re-inventing the connectivity standards from iteration to iteration, and modules from different sources would be easily interchangeable. I'd put a high preference for connectors that have waterproof styles available, with non-corroding housings.

But the first thing I think we should agree on is which side of the Pi board the header should go ;)

"MAYBE" @Michael Lane actually has the right idea. Put them all on top on a single board. Then you could have a series of pigtails to whatever type of connector arrangement you could want. Possibilities for connector positions are endless then.

Soulreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks super duper cool. How can I get one of these ?

thanks @Ranjib .. The build hasn't finished yet, there is a dosing pump box that I haven't uploaded yet.

actually I can give you free, because I have some boards that haven't been used yet, only the possibility of shipping to your place in America, from Indonesia will be very expensive, maybe it could be $60-$100 with economic shipping:rolleyes:. the shipping cost is quite expensive for a board for only $13 and an acrylic box around $15.

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good :) . Curious why some connectors are mounted on the backpanel ?

Good question.. my last build I had them attached to the top, but it became messy every time I needed to open it to work on it, so I put them on the bottom with the intent that once the top is in place, I turn it upside down, and the bottom becomes the top! :) genius.. I know..

alphacustomization

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question that's probably been answered before, I'm using Michael Lane's PH board I can see it at address 45 when i do i2c detect but when i try to make a driver in reef-pi it gives me the error code

{"error":"Failed to create. Error: write /dev/i2c-1: remote I/O error"} | HTTP 500

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated

Soulreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question that's probably been answered before, I'm using Michael Lane's PH board I can see it at address 45 when i do i2c detect but when i try to make a driver in reef-pi it gives me the error code

{"error":"Failed to create. Error: write /dev/i2c-1: remote I/O error"} | HTTP 500
Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated
try change address in reef pi to 69

Weller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just share my build...

Original pcb before cut
IMG_20191212_080904.jpg

After cut
With 2 pcb.
IMG20191212075432.jpg

IMG20191212075701.jpg

IMG20191212075727.jpg

IMG20191206104823.jpg

IMG20191212080116.jpg

IMG20191212080816.jpg

Next..Add fan on top raspberry
stick to the clear acrylic, I hope this week can be finished all.

Thanks
Going to link the .sch? Would be interesting to see.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @Ranjib .. The build hasn't finished yet, there is a dosing pump box that I haven't uploaded yet.

actually I can give you free, because I have some boards that haven't been used yet, only the possibility of shipping to your place in America, from Indonesia will be very expensive, maybe it could be $60-$100 with economic shipping:rolleyes:. the shipping cost is quite expensive for a board for only $13 and an acrylic box around $15.
No worries. I'll be visiting jakarta sometime in future. Its been long time wish to travel there, try some local food. I'll pick up the PCB then, just save one for me :)

Soulreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. I'll be visiting jakarta sometime in future. Its been long time wish to travel there, try some local food. I'll pick up the PCB then, just save one for me :)

with my pleasure, I will save one for you, anytime you come to Indonesia remind me, hope you can come here soon. :cool:

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some notes on setting up a pH board today, so I'll share them here too.

Verify the i2c address by running i2cdetect

0x40 and 0x70 are the PCA9685 PWM chip. 0x45 is the pH board.

In reef-pi, make sure pH is enabled in the Configuration | Settings tab.

Then, on the Configuration | Drivers tab, add a driver entry for the ph-board. The default address should be incorrect since it is already assigned to the pca9685, with both jumpers it should be 69 (0x45). reef-pi expects a decimal value instead of the hex value.

HexDecimal
0x4064
0x4165
0x4468
0x4569

With correct address...

After that, you should be able to create an Analog Input on Configuration | Connectors.

Finally, you can add a pH.

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep. I used address 69 based on your using 64 for a 40 address and my 45 address for the board. im getting a reading now that michael says is raw and just needs to be calibrated. i get a reading of -7660

Got mine working as well just now! initial reading around 2700.. but my calibration button isn't clickable - it's grayed out. any idea why that might be?

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine working as well just now! initial reading around 2700.. but my calibration button isn't clickable - it's grayed out. any idea why that might be?
Disable the pH readings in order to calibrate. Then you can enable the pH sensor again after calibration is complete.

alphacustomization

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got the PH probe installed and registered on reef-pi but after I calibrate it it keeps giving me an error message of
12/13/2019, 8:32:52 PMUIERROR{"error":"stats for id: '1' not found"} | HTTP 404
and will not display in dashboard. Also don't know if it's related but when I go to the temp tab it gives me

12/13/2019, 8:35:54 PMUIERROR404 page not found | HTTP 404
but both temp probes are registering in dashboard and giving correct temps

Edit:
Don't know exactly what I did but it's working now, thanks for all the help and definitely for reef-pi

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got the PH probe installed and registered on reef-pi but after I calibrate it it keeps giving me an error message of
12/13/2019, 8:32:52 PMUIERROR{"error":"stats for id: '1' not found"} | HTTP 404
and will not display in dashboard. Also don't know if it's related but when I go to the temp tab it gives me

12/13/2019, 8:35:54 PMUIERROR404 page not found | HTTP 404
but both temp probes are registering in dashboard and giving correct temps

Edit:
Don't know exactly what I did but it's working now, thanks for all the help and definitely for reef-pi
Thats a normal and benign error you get when you create a new probe. It means the usage data has not been populated yet. Its an annoying thing that i want to get rid of . Soon..

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep. I used address 69 based on your using 64 for a 40 address and my 45 address for the board. im getting a reading now that michael says is raw and just needs to be calibrated. i get a reading of -7660
Welcome to reef2reef :-0) . We love to see build pics

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back