OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good morning boys and girls, I know its been a few days since my last post on the tank build and all but I have been very busy little man and all. Moved all of the kids out of the house.....
cool.gif
, bought the wife a very nice 2005 Chrysler Pacifica with 24K.....
be%20happy.gif
, and finally got the big tank moved to where I want it in the basement so I can stat doing my corals and all. Started filling her up 2 days ago.....

WATER TEST....................

found 2 leaks, 1 bulkhead in the return from sump and 1 pin hole in the closed loop pipe connection
loosened bulkhead fitting and it seemed to stop, will keep a eye on this for the next few days

will be running the 72 hour test to see if the tank splits or leaks produce themselves
then I will add my salt and get it ready to start the cycle process

t110.jpg

finally finished filling the tank and sumps last night

67q6.jpg

now to wait for the fog to clear and all so I can fix the sand in the bottom and clean off the walls

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the tank is clearing up nicely, stayed up until 1230 this morning and plumed the water change pipe to the drain, found out I was short a union so it was a real pain to get this up but I did it, will have to get another union this week and cut it in next weekend. Now that I can start seeing more of the bottom I am going to have to get about 40lbs. of 1-2 mm reef sand to get the 3-4" base that I desire. I did make it out to the CORA show yesterday and had a long talk with a guy that is making reef rock from the Toledo area and I got his wheels turning on making some branching rock so we will see where this ends up, but while in Columbus I ended up at Reef Systems and bought the 2 pieces of rock that I wanted back in june, really over priced on the rock but he is the only one who had what I wanted to make the display stand out.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well after a few days of the tank running it has cleared up a lot, I only waited 24 hrs and added salt to the mix, being in a hurry to try and get the tank to clear up, which if this is the only time that I rush something then I am glad I did it. Heres some updated pics of the display

this is a shot of the tank straight on

fyjs.jpg

the next 2 pictures are of the tank looking at the side views

vd4e.jpg

lv8m.jpg

this last pic is of my sump area, the red light that is on next to the black box is for my algae scrubber, a DIY project I did a while ago. The acrylic tank on top of the 2x4 bracing is for my macro algae to grow in the center chamber, rubble rock in the first chamber for filtration. The lights on in the sump area will run for 18 hours on and 6 hours off

ndqq.jpg

salinity is at 1.023 at the moment with 4 extra gallons of water in the sump, which will evaporate in about 3 days, auto top off is already been working in the sump and I noticed that I go through about 1 gallon per day, which is great for me. Now to let the tank run for 10 days then go get a dozen green chromis to put in the display tank and start the 8 week cycle

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in case anyone was wondering about why I did the arch from rock to rock......

on reef central their is a guy in Canada, Peter, who did a 1300 gallon tank in his fish room in his basement and he modeled this arch for the four fathers that inspired him, after reading his 400+ pages of the build, mr. Wilson and peter were a big inspiration to me as well, along with others that are overseas, Chingchai from Thailand, as well but I thought this would be a way of saying thanks to a real gentleman that I have never meet but inspired me to strive to my goals

if the admins allow I would like to post the links, its in 2 parts as its so big:

part 1 ---- Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank) - Reef Central Online Community

part 2 ---- Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank) - split - Reef Central Online Community

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I understand that all this rock in the tank is dead, sand is dead, and I am trying to cycle the tank. NO HURRY CYCLE. So if it was you how would you cycle???? I'm thinking of getting 6 medium size raw shrimp from Kroger and dumping them in the tank to get it started, am I correct in doing this??????

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now to start the next phase in the build
I need to figure out how to control the humidity in the facility.......I know by a dehumidifier ...........
but on a serious note, I need to figure out how to work and control the moisture issue that will come up, I need to figure out a humidity stat, fan and outside air, someone mentioned this to me awhile back and I lost my notes.
any ideas, how do you control your humidity???

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well tonight was a very good night,
I got tired of the roar of the water fall so I removed the slotted intake pipe in the overflow box and made a durso stand pipe, sorry no pics of this
but it is so much quieter
then I decided to make a lid for the overflow box to keep the splatter and spray in the tank where it belongs, another job well done, I even put little feet on the underside of the cover so it cant get knocked off by accident, yes I have a cat.......
but the best thing about tonight was this DIY project
4acq.jpg

can you guess what it is and its use????????
I decided to fire up the skimmer to see how much water it was going to draw from the tank and all and also see how much I am going to have to adjust, I have my work cut out for me, but it sounded like a afterburner from a F-14 TOMCAT...........no joke
so I went and raided the wife and her give me one of her blood pressure medicine bottles, cleaned it very good and drilled a 3/8" hole for the skimmer hose and a 1/4" hole for the short piece of air tubing for the intake of fresh air. I kicked the skimmer back on and now it is so quiet
so, before anything starts to go wrong I am going to spend some quality time with the wifey and talk shop for a bit to see about adding a few more tanks to the collection I will be running shortly

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of making a DSB, any thought to go or bad in this matter
I am going to be building a DBS in a 5 gallon bucket and having the water go through it at a slow pace to help fight off toxins and return to the sump where it will be pumped into the main display tank, but do I need to have a DSB in the display as well, I have read that it is beneficial, I have also read that its helpful in the refugium to have at least 4-5" of sugar sand or <2mm size grains to help also
your thoughts on this issue would be greatly helpful right about now as I am going to be buying more sand tonight

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, tonight is the night, I am in the process of cleaning out my 55 gallon drum for salt mix and getting it ready for the station, I made the mistake over the summer of taking it to the quarter was and cleaning it out that way of all the debris and leaves that were in it, still had that sweet smell. bought 4 gallons of bleach and rolled it around for a bit tonight and am rinsing it as we speak, I hope the rest of the smell comes out as there is still a hint of it even after 2 rinses

but on another not, went to the store and bought strawberries and raw shrimp, the strawberries was for the container, the wife and I will eat them up quickly........lol
but on the ledge in the right side you can see this container with 6 raw shrimp cut up and resting in their to start my cycle, the light on top is only temp. until I get proper lighting for the corals................let the cycle begin

qvpq.jpg

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I need advice
I picked up a 55 plastic drum a few months ago, took it to the 1/4 wash and used rinse cycle to spray it out, a few nights ago I opened it and it smelled sweet like soap, I bleached it with 4 gallons straight and rinsed it out real good, let it dry and today it still has a hint of the sweet smell, this barrel came from pepsi, could I still use it as my salt mixer as I planned or should I get a new one ??????????

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I am going to be going out and buying a bigger heater as mine burned up, I have been watching the temp over the last few days and it never increased. it was a back up in another tank and all so I am glad it is happened now instead of after fish and coarls are in the tank

I will be putting my controller on this tank as well, especially now that I saw the red glow light of the heat stick on and it was dead cold........love my apex for this reason, gonna get another setup and put it on the new system

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well today was a good day, sort of.......

I wanted to do some major maintenance to the tanks and found out that the heater in my new build took a dump.........
my wife had other plans for me instead I found out and I would have to squeeze some of the work in today but will have to do most of it during the week, before or after work.

went to breakfast and it sucked, went to a hydroponic shop and found some titanium heaters.......never seen these
went to a LFS and didn't find a heater that I liked so went and checked on these heaters, everyone had good and bed but they don't hurt the reef tanks
so I picked up 2 300 watt units by sunwaves, included led remote display and separate temp probe.....1st problem solved

second problem.....was told that we were going to the grand-babys house to celebrate her 1st b-day..........ok, cool.
went to wally world and found a learning toy, it was a train with a box car she can sit on and push herself or disconnect it and walk behind the engine......lots of noise, lights and sounds besides learning blocks and other things to go with it.........BOUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!

ij7s.png

went hunting around for 6" exhaust fan duct work and finally found a real nice unit, then I ended up going back to the hydroponic store and found a CAB-4 controller, which controls temp, humidity, co2, and night. unit has 4 outlets and it runs on 120v, tried it in the shop and seen how it worked and all. I bought it, now I can address the humidity and temp levels in the new saltwater floor of the house

uuai.jpg

xmo6.jpg

came home and used one of my windows in the room as access to the outside for temp / humidity discharge. wasn't to bad of a job to fab up something real quick like. went to the g-babys party, and boy did she make a mess of all the paper and boxes.......lol
but the best was yet to come...........she opened our present and that's all she wanted, no mini mouse, or blue hippo or anything else, she wanted that train. She started to learn how to use it to help her on the walking issue, she ate ice cream and cake........actually wore more of it than ate......lol, took a bath and went back to playing with the train and walking with it.......dad - 0, grand pa - 1

but what started out as a bad day turned out ok after all

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooo and ahhh nice tank. Well done, makes the tank so much more multi dimensional.

Happy grandparent days are the best.

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I have 2 questions
1 ---- how long do I leave the shrimp in the tank to cycle the system????? until it fully dissolves or just a week or two????
2 ---- how long should I let the tank cycle for being all the rock I used was dead????? im used to getting rock from a lfs and putting it in the tanks....lol
thanks in advance

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well tonight was sort of a great working day on the tanks, my oldest son is going to do a reef tank.......YES!!!!!!!!!!

well as you all know im cycling my tank, what a long boring chore this is.....lol
but it has begun looking at my arch today I see crap brown starting to grow, cleaned the algea scrubber for the 2nd week and it had green on it so its doing its job, and im gonna pat myself on the back for this one, I didn't think it would really work, boy was I surprised........

poo poo growing

yy81.jpg

but heres the real thing I was fixing to start and finish, my red mangrove wall with 2 deep sand buckets in line for denitatefying system. Each bucket will d 90 gallons so with 2 buckets I have it all covered. All I need to do is hang some lights for the mangrove seeds to grow. Hopefully my step son, that's in Florida, will bring me back about 15 seeds so I can get things going. Finished the closed loop system, didn't use sea swirls but I think I will be ok the way I am running it.

s1oz.jpg

also worked on the tank stand, installed magnetic door latches and exterior pull handles. Got a lot accomplished today, tested water and ammonia is close to 0, nitrite is 2.0ppm, nitrate is 40ppm, wont be much longer I hope.

fcdr.jpg

OP
OP
THE MAD REEFER

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I need help on a few topics

I want to run a auto water changer, can I use a buble magnus to accomplish this???

I have cavitation on the return side of my closed loop, is it normal to have the ball valve turned about 30% closed to cure this or do I need to do something different??

thanks in advance

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back