Day/Night light balance for aquarium

Dytrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I live in a 2 bedroom unit where my lounge room basically contains all my activities (pc, xbox, tv etc) and i have my tank in there. i stay up late on the weekends, is it best to cover the tank up during the night so the tank doesnt get the light from lounge room and potentially interupt the day/night light balance

i have an anemone, still waiting for a pair of clownfish (no stock currently)

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I live in a 2 bedroom unit where my lounge room basically contains all my activities (pc, xbox, tv etc) and i have my tank in there. i stay up late on the weekends, is it best to cover the tank up during the night so the tank doesnt get the light from lounge room and potentially interupt the day/night light balance

i have an anemone, still waiting for a pair of clownfish (no stock currently)

Had my tank in my living room for past few years, lights usually synced to go off with Sunset so that the blue hue doesn’t interrupt TV. Assuming you use lamps and the TV I doubt there would be any issues. Whenever I look in the tank the fish are definitely “sleeping”

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say the jury is still out on that. I've maintained systems that between the aquarium lights and ambient light the corals got ~16 hours a day but it didn't seem to be much of an issue. But those systems I don't recall being kept more than a few years so long term (5 years +) it's hard to say. FWIW reefs only get full sunlight for about 4-6 hours. Due to the reflection off the water surface a lot of the light is bounced off in the mornings and evenings.

OP
OP
Dytrix

Dytrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my tank in my living room for past few years, lights usually synced to go off with Sunset so that the blue hue doesn’t interrupt TV. Assuming you use lamps and the TV I doubt there would be any issues. Whenever I look in the tank the fish are definitely “sleeping”
im yet to get a timer for the light, the lights i have for unit is ceiling mounted, decent sized living room as its basically one big room that links up with kitchen and dining

nemclean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried and I can say that it's all what u need...
If you are worried about lighting, then the best option for you will be to put LED lamps where there is not enough light for balance, which are small in size, and plug them into an outlet. I use the same ones, and I can say that they are ideal for the balance of light in your rooms because such lamps do not shine much, but at the same time, they are not too dim, that is, ideal lighting for any room. I even sleep with such a lamp. It does not even hit me in the eyes. On the contrary, it even creates an atmosphere in the room that will make you fall asleep faster :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back