DC Pumps: Ecotech vs. Royal Exclusiv vs. Abyzz

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it NSI means beta testing by real reefers just before being released to mainstream? Any word on when the Cor will be put on the market? We have been waiting what it seems like 3 years now and I am almost at the point of throwing the towel in and get a s1 even though I was protesting at ETM for locking out the apex. It's their right as a business, but not a smart move, imo.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its the beta testing. Not exactly sure on the release but I am betting its going to be pretty soon. Other than some fusion adjustments there doesn't seem to be many problems going on in beta

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in a few opinions and one experience with the L1:

1. Saw the COR come out, disappointed in the size of the biggest one (nothing as strong as the L1, bummer). Cool that you can monitor the current and set the min flow to prevent back siphoning.
2. The Vectra calibration function is pretty awesome setting max speed and min speed, allows you to keep from back-siphoning just like the COR can do.
3. My L1 failed once, the inside melted, bubbled, interfered with the impeller, and locked up. Ecotech was great and overnighted me a new one, but still, I have heard of this from several parties now and it has me worried about sticking with these long term. However, the replacement pump is going strong now several months later.
4. Abyzz and Red Dragon are still a lot of money.

I find that not being able to control the return with the Apex is not a huge deal. I can turn it on and off, and I only turn it up or down during water changes.

We are contemplating an upgrade soon and I am leaning toward an RD3 150W or two.

KenJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have all three the pump that is the closest to what it advertises in head pressure is ABYZZ it will out perform the others and runs cooler, I use it for my return on my ELOS 160 the 150w Royal runs my skimmer, UV and Carbon reactor. The M1 runs my Red Sea 170 for quarantine tank. With the 150w I do not use a heater in the winter I still use a fan..
ABYZZ though expensive it gives me 3 times the turnover on this 200 Gallon at 60% and is silent and heat is not an issue..

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all three the pump that is the closest to what it advertises in head pressure is ABYZZ it will out perform the others and runs cooler, I use it for my return on my ELOS 160 the 150w Royal runs my skimmer, UV and Carbon reactor. The M1 runs my Red Sea 170 for quarantine tank. With the 150w I do not use a heater in the winter I still use a fan..
ABYZZ though expensive it gives me 3 times the turnover on this 200 Gallon at 60% and is silent and heat is not an issue..

so what abyzz do you have on your 200g system ? I have a total of 160g and i was looking the Abyzz A 100 do you think that would be big enough for my system ? Right now i pushing 500gph.. Thx for any advice.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KenJ I have an ecotech M1 right now with dreams for an Abyzz pump, but with a 160g you should be pushing a minimum of at least 800gph. I would push for around 1200-1600 gph.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiming in, I have zero knowledge of the three here But I installed a Core 20 a couple of weeks ago and got a free shower at startup, Man that thing moves water! @ 325.00 I think its worth a look

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was 2-4 x your water volume per hr ???

Depends on who you ask. I prefer 10X. Makes any mechanical filtration you have (filter socks) work better. Also it helps to keep detritus suspended in your sump. It does have its issues if you do not set your system up properly though.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess ,I see 1600 gph on my system total overkill ... after a year I have hardly any detritus built up in my sump . When u say set up correctly to you mean plumbing wise ?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Running a siphon line, as well as a properly designed sump, with the water level in the return section right at the top of the weir for your skimmer section.

FWIW, Triton recommends a 10X turn over as well. 6 to 10x use to be the industry standard, but people slowly began running less and less. I will say that it definitively isn't required in order to have a successful system.

I will also say that I don't think it scales 100%. The larger the system the harder it can be to practically hit that number. For example, on a 40B, 2X turn over is only 80 GPH...that's nothing...I run mine about 500 through mine completely silent and have no problems. That is about 12.5X turn over. When you get into the large systems, that 10X may be a bit much as you will be flowing A LOT of water through a sump.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But do u think I can hit the 10x if I wanted to with the abyzz a100? Is anything I think the most I Would go is 5x.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But do u think I can hit the 10x if I wanted to with the abyzz a100? Is anything I think the most I Would go is 5x.

I am not really familiar with them. Other than they are the best pumps money can buy...

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The subject should be Abyzz vs Royal Exclusiv
No disrespect to EcoTech but Royal Exclusiv and Abyzz pumps in my opinion are on a hole different level the the Vectra's and I own the M1 and the L1.. If I had to chose one of them, i would grab an Abyzz 100 since i have seen one in action! Let me tell you on thing they are build like a Sherman tank and run smooth as ice!

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a growing thread on the SDC pumps with mixed reviews, mostly related to the noise of the pump, I'll try and find the thread for you

In my mind it is a fair comparison (maybe) between the Sicce and the Vectras. Then a comparison between abyzz and royal exclusiv (on price alone).

The SDC 9.0 boasts impressive gph at high head heights, but I can't find much about them yet. I wonder if it truly produces around 1800 gph at around 10 feet of head loss?

Is the discussion here on R2R? I appreciate it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back