DC Pumps: Ecotech vs. Royal Exclusiv vs. Abyzz

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag 36. As for AC, this is the only I can think of. You would have to throttle it down though. It also isn't quite silent. Ok, not silent by any means. The Mag 24 only does 800g at that head.
https://premiumaquatics.com/product...MIzrKCpozH2gIVh_5kCh3wdwKTEAkYBiABEgLlEPD_BwE

Frankly besides Abyzz and RD3, that may be your only option. I just can't think of another option at the moment.

You know anyone running the SDC 9.0 in a basement setup? Thanks @gcarroll

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to make yourself feel better about the cost, just watch this video starting about the 11:15 mark. lol

Wow!!!! That's a decent used car sitting under there just in pumps. Probably a house in total setup. Haha

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW this thread took off, thanks Greg,
Hey I have had this pump for years to pump the cover of my pool and to throw overboard to wash down the boat @ $100 bucksS . I do know it will push threw 75' of hose like nobody's biz
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Little-...GuhTUyGMUEs02RIF4TUgaykvY4iknUF4aAs-NEALw_wcB

505000-4.jpg

Type:
Manual
Horse Power:
1/6
Voltage:
115v
Amperage:
Wattage:
Flow at 5 FT Head:
18 GPM
Flow at 10 FT Head:
16.5 GPM
Flow at 15 FT Head:
14 GPM
Shutoff Head (ft.):
26.3'
Max Pressure (PSI):
Cord Length:
10 ft
Weight (lbs):
8.25 lbs
Dimensions:
7.8"H x 6.1"L x 4.3"W
Discharge:
1" FNPT
Approvals:
UL/CSA

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW this thread took off, thanks Greg,
Hey I have had this pump for years to pump the cover of my pool and to throw overboard to wash down the boat @ $100 bucksS . I do know it will push threw 75' of hose like nobody's biz
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Little-...GuhTUyGMUEs02RIF4TUgaykvY4iknUF4aAs-NEALw_wcB

505000-4.jpg

Type:
Manual
Horse Power:
1/6
Voltage:
115v
Amperage:
Wattage:
Flow at 5 FT Head:
18 GPM
Flow at 10 FT Head:
16.5 GPM
Flow at 15 FT Head:
14 GPM
Shutoff Head (ft.):
26.3'
Max Pressure (PSI):
Cord Length:
10 ft
Weight (lbs):
8.25 lbs
Dimensions:
7.8"H x 6.1"L x 4.3"W
Discharge:
1" FNPT
Approvals:
UL/CSA
Looking at the stats, it's very similar to the Mag 36. Not sure about how it will hold up during constant use though. I would expect that most sump/bilge pumps are designed to cycle on and off.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with vectra for a few reasons. First I wanted everything to be control under one interface "reeflink" and be easy to connect to a battery backup. If I am away I can check and make sure the pump is on and it sends me email alerts if its off. Its also easy to adjust speed if needed and its just reliable from my 13 month of use.

I cant justify the pricing of the abyss unless I had a hugh tank, have head pressure, or running a nice closed loop. When I upgrade tanks Id probably just add a 2nd vectra return pump and have 1 hookedup to a battery backup. Pump failure is something that always concerns me since I have my vectra feed my cryptic zone. Currently I have a battery backup on one of my MP40 but I feel having 2 batterys would really get me through 12+ hours.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I think I understand. I am in no way taqlking performance differences. Just fit and finish.

Look at the two pumps. What differences do you see?
Header_1.jpg
rd3-speedy-royal-exclusiv-pump-1.jpg
Fit and finish is not even comparable.
The other noticeable difference is the cooling loop on the Red Dragon . It appears to be an add on.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no basements here in So Cal. I looked at the flowchart and it fell well short of the 1000 gph mark.

Oh yeah, forgot about the no basements in Cali deal. Haha. Not trying to get this thread away from the pumps in the title (even with it being over 2 years old) but curious as to how you read the chart that you see the SDC 9.0 falling short of 1k gph at around 10 to 12 feet? Do you assume with setup conditions the charts need to be adjusted for real world conditions? According to Sicce chart, at face value, the 9.0 will pump around 1800 gph at 10 feet head loss. Now I don't expect that to be 100% accurate in real world application, but I'm wondering why 1k is definetely out of the question?

20180420_095604.jpg

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, forgot about the no basements in Cali deal. Haha. Not trying to get this thread away from the pumps in the title (even with it being over 2 years old) but curious as to how you read the chart that you see the SDC 9.0 falling short of 1k gph at around 10 to 12 feet? Do you assume with setup conditions the charts need to be adjusted for real world conditions? According to Sicce chart, at face value, the 9.0 will pump around 1800 gph at 10 feet head loss. Now I don't expect that to be 100% accurate in real world application, but I'm wondering why 1k is definetely out of the question?

20180420_095604.jpg
My apologies, when i looked it up I must have been looking at the SDC 7.0. Yes, the 9.0 should do the job. But also look into it's brother, the Sicce ADV 9.0. Seems to be the same pump without the electronics.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies, when i looked it up I must have been looking at the SDC 7.0. Yes, the 9.0 should do the job. But also look into it's brother, the Sicce ADV 9.0. Seems to be the same pump without the electronics.

All good, thanks for the response! I can't keep them all straight between name nuances and all the different charts and I'm looking at them for hours! Lol. I will def look at that other model, less to go wrong possibly!

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The subject should be Abyzz vs Royal Exclusiv
No disrespect to EcoTech but Royal Exclusiv and Abyzz pumps in my opinion are on a hole different level the the Vectra's and I own the M1 and the L1.. If I had to chose one of them, i would grab an Abyzz 100 since i have seen one in action! Let me tell you on thing they are build like a Sherman tank and run smooth as ice!
Agreed. Vectras don’t belong in those two comparisons. Whole nother realm.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Saxby tank is just amazing ..... would love to see it in person! Lots of $$$ (GBP in his case) tied up there and not just pumps. Hard for me to justify spending that kind of coin on a pump. Been using the Vectra M1 on a closed loop for 2 1/2 years without incident, so am pretty happy with it. I wouldn't use any DC on my return regardless.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting to me that most folks are talking fit and finish, agreeing that any of these pumps are more powerful than 90% of reefs would require, but folks don't put the Vectra in the same category, when the Vectra has all the fit and finish (actually a better controller than Abyzz or RE) that the Abyzz has.

I know that the others have more robust construction, but these are being designed to sit in a cabinet or sump, so titanium hardware for instance doesn't matter at all.

I just figured I would clear up why the three are included in the original post, since I wanted to compare the three strictly with regard to value for most reefers (not dream tanks, our real tanks). I can appreciate everyone's opinions on them though and want to thank everyone for the great conversation that is taking place!

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180420_095604.jpg

I have the 9.0 plumbed to the basement. 1 inch flex, probably 13.5 vertical, the horizontal run is about 25 feet. The lines are snakes across a bulk head and there are a few dips in the line, and it’s not perfectly straight (not doable for me), but there are only two sharp bends (maybe 45 degree?) in the climb. The net effect is that at 100% output I’m getting something like 330 gph. Not what I’d hoped for, but it does the job, and turns the tank volume 3 times per hour, which is enough for my purposes.

So I posted this because anybody looking to see what this pump can do in a demanding situation can get a sense of it. Real world applications can really knock those flow charts down, but it is strong for the money and the app works well.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting to me that most folks are talking fit and finish, agreeing that any of these pumps are more powerful than 90% of reefs would require, but folks don't put the Vectra in the same category, when the Vectra has all the fit and finish (actually a better controller than Abyzz or RE) that the Abyzz has.

I know that the others have more robust construction, but these are being designed to sit in a cabinet or sump, so titanium hardware for instance doesn't matter at all.

I just figured I would clear up why the three are included in the original post, since I wanted to compare the three strictly with regard to value for most reefers (not dream tanks, our real tanks). I can appreciate everyone's opinions on them though and want to thank everyone for the great conversation that is taking place!

Neither the Vectra, the RE, or the COR are in the same league as the Abyzz. All are great pumps, but the Abyzz construction and performance and efficiency (w/gph at head pressure) far outclasses these other pumps.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither the Vectra, the RE, or the COR are in the same league as the Abyzz. All are great pumps, but the Abyzz construction and performance and efficiency (w/gph at head pressure) far outclasses these other pumps.

I agree that Abyzz is a step above, but what I wanted to point out is that for tank installs that dont have a basement sump or a ton of head pressure to fight (maybe 90% of tank owners), paying a thousand less for a product like the Vectra is a good potential solution. Of course, some might still splurge for the rolls-royce of return pumps, but it is not necessary for many applications. Where something like the COR, the RE, or the vectra may thrive.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back