DC Pumps: Ecotech vs. Royal Exclusiv vs. Abyzz

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll be pretty visible! I find it hard to believe that it’s moving that little amount of water. Pump or electronics must defective.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No question the L1 has had a checkered history. There was a running design change to help mitigate temperature buildup around the impellar. M1 much more reliable ..... at least mine has been. Bought it day 1 (four years give or take) as a closed loop pump and it’s been flawless. I wouldn’t use it as a return pump though, nor any DC pump; AC for me.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the feedback from eco tech customer service...
" I have reviewed them with the rest of our service team and we have determined that the amount of flow you are getting is due to the amount of plumbing in your sump. The flow meters are going to significantly restrict the Vectras flow rate."

So basically ecotech do not want me to measure flow:))
and
want me to simplify my 1"pipe 5 feet head pressure straight to tank return plumbing lol...I guess they want me to lay the tank on the ground for vectra to work.
What a poor pump this is..

I cannot believe they admit that 5 feet head pressure bring the flow from 3100 to 380gph....wow

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I need to do that. Now sure what do I check exactly but will figure it out.

Take a look at this thread, I have been through two Vectra L1 pumps. The changes seem to have helped a lot, still not the best pump ever, and I may go RD3 one of these days, but I'll never go Abyzz unless I win the lottery. My personal opinion is that the value just isn't there, at half or 2/3 that price it would be solid.

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this thread, I have been through two Vectra L1 pumps. The changes seem to have helped a lot, still not the best pump ever, and I may go RD3 one of these days, but I'll never go Abyzz unless I win the lottery. My personal opinion is that the value just isn't there, at half or 2/3 that price it would be solid.
Agree with you,
Abyzz is over kill and I do not buy the argument that since they give 10 years warranty it's worth paying doube..
I doubt any of us will use the same pump for 10 years ha ha

I just tested RD3 100 watt which is also rated 3100gph like vectra, using my setup. Its reading 1600gph.. beast...

I think RD3 is the way to go. For it more, you get double performance...that's a bargain.

Otherwise for same price as vectra you can get RDS 50 which from the looks of it will still give better flow at head pressure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have phobias about my vectra dying again. I am going to probably dig deep and get an RD3 in the near future and when the vectra does crap out i'll swap them out. Man I wish the RD3 control box wasnt the size of a lunchbox, space on my control panel is limited.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the same thing. My M1 crapped out at 1 year. Was replaced, but I’m going on some trips this year and I wanted something I worried less about. Got a RD3 100W flow and set it up with a new manifold last weekend. Running it low at 44W and it is great.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have phobias about my vectra dying again. I am going to probably dig deep and get an RD3 in the near future and when the vectra does crap out i'll swap them out. Man I wish the RD3 control box wasnt the size of a lunchbox, space on my control panel is limited.
I ended up getting an RD80 which like 200$ above vectra. Totally get how hard it is to spend 500 on a pump just to start thinking of the fact u need an extra spare pump lol.
AC pumps are also good option to have a spare pump if vectra stopped working...
No easy answer, just learning here ha ha

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one thing for sure, ecotech vectra is bad.
I tested my L1 vectra that is suppose to be 3100gph, on my 5 feet 1" return pipe flow reads 380gph on 100% setting.
I hooked my old syncra 4.0(900gph) flow jumped to 550gph.
Super disappointed with the performance of such a pricey pump.
db7b08f092a7cd8aa3ca92bd57c8202d.jpg
31cb9fc952cb3b2d1d50cfc1a1f67d1e.jpg
650716200c2d4f7587d594f98f0772b7.jpg
a1127937f786f15aa4a63a7f4303c9f1.jpg
9e160fa9afd077ed44e6e02d57a459b1.jpg
fc344fc1111104bfa2b33f238afce418.jpg

Interesting. It looks like AC pump does hold a big advantage over DC pumps when it comes to head pressure. I am considering getting the Syncra line for the 300G now. Thank you for sharing the data.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. It looks like AC pump does hold a big advantage over DC pumps when it comes to head pressure. I am considering getting the Syncra line for the 300G now. Thank you for sharing the data.
Well one thing I learned is that no all pumps are the same.
I used an RD3 100 which is rated the same as vectra and it gave me 1600gph.
Also tested RD3 80 it gave me solid 1200 1300gph...
What am trying to say is that not all pumps perform the same.
If you like dc which I do, I would recommend you go with RD or something else that is also tested.
Otherwise indeed AC pumps naturally handle head pressure well...
Cheers

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one thing I learned is that no all pumps are the same.
I used an RD3 100 which is rated the same as vectra and it gave me 1600gph.
Also tested RD3 80 it gave me solid 1200 1300gph...
What am trying to say is that not all pumps perform the same.
If you like dc which I do, I would recommend you go with RD or something else that is also tested.
Otherwise indeed AC pumps naturally handle head pressure well...
Cheers

Thanks. I think I am going to go with the red dragon at some point.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the latest in the saga of my L1 return pumps. Basically the cooling/flushing system failed again with just simple biofilm (that accumulates on any and all surfaces in your tank).

I ordered an RD3 and will report on whether it is an improvement over the Vectra L1.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the latest in the saga of my L1 return pumps. Basically the cooling/flushing system failed again with just simple biofilm (that accumulates on any and all surfaces in your tank).

I ordered an RD3 and will report on whether it is an improvement over the Vectra L1.

Please do! And did you order from Premium Aquatics or some other retailer?

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the feedback from eco tech customer service...
" I have reviewed them with the rest of our service team and we have determined that the amount of flow you are getting is due to the amount of plumbing in your sump. The flow meters are going to significantly restrict the Vectras flow rate."

So basically ecotech do not want me to measure flow:))
and
want me to simplify my 1"pipe 5 feet head pressure straight to tank return plumbing lol...I guess they want me to lay the tank on the ground for vectra to work.
What a poor pump this is..

I cannot believe they admit that 5 feet head pressure bring the flow from 3100 to 380gph....wow
Try tellin that to the water company, your metering slows my flow rate down..

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Been running RD3 80 for 2 weeks now. Super happy with it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I did the same.
Very happy with it about a year later.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back