Dead blenny

Clownfishdude29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this morning my blenny died. my levels are good, the salinitys 1.025. why would he die. all other fish are fine, its just the blenny.

OP
OP
C

Clownfishdude29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
litteraly everything is where its supposed to me, but he really wasnt eating that much and was losing color

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have had a parasite or he was sick what are the exact parameters because any sudden spike in ammonia for example could be fatal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One myth with these blended is diet
There’s a belief that they must have algae to live.
Many are unaware but technically, they need sponge, pods and small snails.
These guys use their flexible jaws and comb-like teeth to eat some algae (the amount varies from one species to the next), recent studies have shown their primary source of food is detritus in the form of detrital aggregates. Because detritus is often overlooked in food-habit studies, its importance as Salarias food has long been overlooked.
These blennies scrape this material off hard surfaces (e.g., coral rock, dead coral skeletons), along with some algae. They will also incidentally ingest tiny invertebrates. For example, the diet of has been reported to include filamentous algae, diatoms, foraminiferans (shelled protozoa), tiny crustaceans, detritus, and sand.
Hiding areas are important as is water conditions in part
If fish was not plump, it was likely a dietary issue over disease

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be rude, but you basically said, and I'm paraphrasing, "They don't need algae to live" and then proceeded to say "They ALSO eat algae" lol

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One myth with these blended is diet
There’s a belief that they must have algae to live.
Many are unaware but technically, they need sponge, pods and small snails.
These guys use their flexible jaws and comb-like teeth to eat some algae (the amount varies from one species to the next), recent studies have shown their primary source of food is detritus in the form of detrital aggregates. Because detritus is often overlooked in food-habit studies, its importance as Salarias food has long been overlooked.
These blennies scrape this material off hard surfaces (e.g., coral rock, dead coral skeletons), along with some algae. They will also incidentally ingest tiny invertebrates. For example, the diet of has been reported to include filamentous algae, diatoms, foraminiferans (shelled protozoa), tiny crustaceans, detritus, and sand.
Hiding areas are important as is water conditions in part
If fish was not plump, it was likely a dietary issue over disease

While what you said is sort of true (minus the myth part). From my understanding of what I read there is not a good classification for this type blenny. In the same way that omnivores require both plant matter and meat. The blennies that get the herbivore classification need both detritus and algae for a balanced diet. So it is not a myth, it's partly true and partly do to there not being a class they fit into currently. They would need something like detralgavore. lol.

Even at that blennies like lawnmower very much stick to the kind of diet you mention. And others like starry and combtooth love algae and don't really pick as much at the film kind of stuff like lawnmowers. At least that's been my experience.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clownfishdude29 , it would be more helpful to have more information. Otherwise no one can help you. Information like how long the tank has been up and running, tank mates, how long you have had the fish, did you QT, if you have had it for a while has it been eating well, and so on

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While what you said is sort of true (minus the myth part). From my understanding of what I read there is not a good classification for this type blenny. In the same way that omnivores require both plant matter and meat. The blennies that get the herbivore classification need both detritus and algae for a balanced diet. So it is not a myth, it's partly true and partly do to there not being a class they fit into currently. They would need something like detralgavore. lol.

Even at that blennies like lawnmower very much stick to the kind of diet you mention. And others like starry and combtooth love algae and don't really pick as much at the film kind of stuff like lawnmowers. At least that's been my experience.
When I say myth, in better terms- mystery as many stores are even unaware of this

Marine Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this morning my blenny died. my levels are good, the salinitys 1.025. why would he die. all other fish are fine, its just the blenny.
He could have starved to death depending on the tank size he might have not had enough algae to graze on, or wasn't eating what you feed to the tank. Sorry for your loss.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back