Dead clowns

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You two use distilled instead of rodi? To top off? Sorry this is the first I've heard of using distilled.

hmm well its common for nano's where you don't have to haul 20000 jugs of water. It is how I ran my 1st tank (12g) for two years. This forum is more geared toward big tankers so probably doesn't get mentioned as often here.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
hmm well its common for nano's where you don't have to haul 20000 jugs of water. It is how I ran my 1st tank (12g) for two years. This forum is more geared toward big tankers so probably doesn't get mentioned as often here.
Well. . . I confess. Did this for over a year with a 360g because I was reluctant to hook up a unit and deal with water source. I could kick myself as it was too easy. I used tap in laziness but fortunately my water comes from Lake Michigan basin and i have a whole house carbon filter, water softener and sediment filter. Never had sulfur smell, iron deposits and hardness

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. . . I confess. Did this for over a year with a 360g because I was reluctant to hook up a unit and deal with water source. I could kick myself as it was too easy. I used tap in laziness but fortunately my water comes from Lake Michigan basin and i have a whole house carbon filter, water softener and sediment filter. Never had sulfur smell, iron deposits and hardness

Hey I live right here with ya :) If I had a tank as big as yours.... I would probably have tried it too. If I ever move back to Duluth MN... I am trying tap for sure... also came out of the great lake up there and TDS was 25-30 out of the tap. My FW tanks never looked better on that water. At least try it in an experimental nano or something... for science!

My 7g cold water reef has sand and rock from the great lakes... someone here nay say and said it was full of copper and would crash my tank... tank is coming up 7 years.

Sometimes things work that shouldn't.

TTM wastes a lot of water and glad to not just dump so much down the drain.

mysaltwatertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an established tank for about 8 months now and my two clowns for about 6. I have a 20 gallon hex tank. Five hermits were added about two months ago and I have various corals. Last weekend I added some copeopods from petco( I don’t normally use Petco organisms but my lfs is an hour away. They were all alive) and some microbelift which I have used before. I tested water last night and everything was fine.
Salinity
Gravity 1.024
Alk 10
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.8
Phos 0.3
Calcium 400
Temp: 74
Ph:8.2
I did water change last night as maintenance noticing phosphate was a little high. It was about a 15% change. No other changes or new additions. Everything was fine.
When I woke up this morning both of my clowns were dead and the corals looked unhappy. The clowns had lost their color and my heart broke. I immediately checked the parameters again and no ammonia but nitrite had skyrocketed. And there are like little white things on the glass. A friend said my city water might have changed. I am feeling very discouraged and upset as I watch the rest of my creatures die. It seems as if my cycle crashed overnight? Idk I am very upset and was wondering if it was something I did wrong or if anyone has seen something similar
How are your pumps? Powerheads moving well? Maybe there is a sudden change in the flow in your tank. Never use tap water in a tank, but others have already said that. Make sure they didnt die due to a lack of oxygen. I saw unhappy corals and realized the power cable knocked loose from one of my powerheads, so there was almost no flow near it. Check those and the main pump on your tank

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what-is-going-on-with-this-fracking-water.gif

Just say NO to tap

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back