Dead coral came back to life?

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we set up our tank we purchased live rock and sand from a lfs. The rock had a skeletal structure of some sort of coral on the back. White and looked dead. Well after a month of no light our photon v2 came yesterday. I was doing my normal inspection of the tank mostly looking at my torch flowing in the current and what I thought was a dead coral on the back of the rock is glowing. Has this happened to anyone before? I’m really curious to see what this turns into. It’s about the size of a pea right now. Looks like I’ll blast it with some reef roids when the lights go out.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is any living tissue at all.. even an amount we probably won’t see or notice… coral can come back.

OP
OP
N

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes glowing. When the lights are on it looks like a white skeletal structure. So yes it is glowing under the new lights which made me think it wasn’t dead. The two arrows are the living heads glowing. The white to the right is what it looked like.

Attachments

• 24BC332F-B19D-4227-AFD6-88AF3B2E45FF.jpeg
    24BC332F-B19D-4227-AFD6-88AF3B2E45FF.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 114

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had Miami Hurricane chalice that died down to a miniature flake. Like the size a piece of rice. It rebounded and grew to be a 7inch disc in 2years

OP
OP
N

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a yellow lens yet to take photos with the blues on to show the glow.
Yes glowing. When the lights are on it looks like a white skeletal structure. So yes it is glowing under the new lights which made me think it wasn’t dead. The two arrows are the living heads glowing. The white to the right is what it looked like.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we set up our tank we purchased live rock and sand from a lfs. The rock had a skeletal structure of some sort of coral on the back. White and looked dead. Well after a month of no light our photon v2 came yesterday. I was doing my normal inspection of the tank mostly looking at my torch flowing in the current and what I thought was a dead coral on the back of the rock is glowing. Has this happened to anyone before? I’m really curious to see what this turns into. It’s about the size of a pea right now. Looks like I’ll blast it with some reef roids when the lights go out.
Yes it’s happened. Killed my candy canes with a 10. Minute FW dip to kill burrowing worms in the skeleton. They straight up died. This is them today.

Edit: when they died they were two crappy heads. That was one year ago. Today they are 30+ heads.

6F6FA6EE-293C-4B29-B56A-22832D63CF08.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back