Dead corals/ surviving tissue

bbonilla68

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2019
Messages
8
Reaction score
9
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will surviving coral cover old cover or will it just completely bleach. Unless the coral is fragged and treated with iodine or some other coral conditioners?
 
Good question and I hate to say it this way, but the honest answer is yes and no.

Some corals will overgrow areas that have died back and other won't. Corals like chalices or encrusting sps will, most branching sps corals will not. Zoas and soft corals will grow over almost anything that is dead.
 
I want to experiment with raising the alk..to see if that makes a difference. I'm running at 7 right now. Maybe 8+ but gradually. Not sure what the correct amount of time and how much to raise weekly daily..etc.lol. sorry im lazy with words.
 
What about with Favia? I am considering "trimming" the skeleton of some favia I have because it's algae-ridden and the coral tissue is having trouble "getting over" the algae.
The alternative is for me to clean the skeleton with more hydrogen peroxide (worked before), but I feel like I am just stuck in a cycle in which the coral can't win.
 
What about with Favia? I am considering "trimming" the skeleton of some favia I have because it's algae-ridden and the coral tissue is having trouble "getting over" the algae.
The alternative is for me to clean the skeleton with more hydrogen peroxide (worked before), but I feel like I am just stuck in a cycle in which the coral can't win.

It's worth a try.I have found that trimming off the dead skeleton will encourage new growth.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new