Dead corals/ surviving tissue

bbonilla68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will surviving coral cover old cover or will it just completely bleach. Unless the coral is fragged and treated with iodine or some other coral conditioners?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question and I hate to say it this way, but the honest answer is yes and no.

Some corals will overgrow areas that have died back and other won't. Corals like chalices or encrusting sps will, most branching sps corals will not. Zoas and soft corals will grow over almost anything that is dead.

OP
OP
B

bbonilla68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to experiment with raising the alk..to see if that makes a difference. I'm running at 7 right now. Maybe 8+ but gradually. Not sure what the correct amount of time and how much to raise weekly daily..etc.lol. sorry im lazy with words.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about with Favia? I am considering "trimming" the skeleton of some favia I have because it's algae-ridden and the coral tissue is having trouble "getting over" the algae.
The alternative is for me to clean the skeleton with more hydrogen peroxide (worked before), but I feel like I am just stuck in a cycle in which the coral can't win.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about with Favia? I am considering "trimming" the skeleton of some favia I have because it's algae-ridden and the coral tissue is having trouble "getting over" the algae.
The alternative is for me to clean the skeleton with more hydrogen peroxide (worked before), but I feel like I am just stuck in a cycle in which the coral can't win.

It's worth a try.I have found that trimming off the dead skeleton will encourage new growth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back