Dead nem. Acan eating it.

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I went to my lfs and when I walked in I saw this BEAUTIFUL green bubble tip anemone. I fell in love. I told myself I can’t have it because I only have a 10 gallon tank. So I continued to browse around the store. So I left with the anemone… I was so angry with myself but I was so in love. On my way home I ordered a guard for my power head and figure I’d be ok for the night. I put him on this rock and he just looked absolutely amazing and everything looked great.

Cut to today, I got home from work and he is completely chopped up and part of his foot is stuck in the power head. (As I open my power head guard package) everything in the tank is ticked off but my clowns, hermits, snails, and emerald crab are all acting normal. Just the corals in my tank are mega ticked. I do a 50% water change and syphon out the pieces that I can see (which were only 3 small pieces) and clear the chunk of foot that is stuck in the power head.

The corals seem to be perking back up and nitrates and phosphates are at 10ppm and .25ppb respectively.

I notice that one of my acans is puking up what I believe to be a piece of the anemone. This acan has about 6 heads and they all still have their feeding tentacles out.

Does anyone know if the acan can survive eating a nem tentacle?

Also, do the affects of a pureed nem take longer to show in a tank? Keep in mind, it’s a 10 gallon with a sump so a very tiny system. I have a chemipure blue bag in the system and filter floss so I’m hoping the toxins and floating nematocysts are being cleaned out but I’m worried about the acan.

I know. I’m an idiot for buying him. And I know I should’ve listened to my gut. But, I’m a reefer and I just wanted it so bad. I’m stupid.

4BF7A100-819B-43EC-A65B-271BE1C6205D.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let the acan eat a fine natural meal. It will let go when it is done. Think of this as a New Years feast for your 10 gallon survivors and a sad lesson for yourself. Next time you are tempted you must remember; bring home some Oysterfeast, or something like that that doesn't break your heart to loose. The losses are the worst.

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let the acan eat a fine natural meal. It will let go when it is done. Think of this as a New Years feast for your 10 gallon survivors and a sad lesson for yourself. Next time you are tempted you must remember; bring home some Oysterfeast, or something like that that doesn't break your heart to loose. The losses are the worst.
I will say I am really upset. I'm more upset that an innocent beautiful animal was killed because of my negligence and greed. I knew it was a terrible idea from the start and I did it anyway because I've had that clown/nem vision in my head for years. Lesson learned. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of nems in a nano, you should look at rock flower nems and/or a maxi mini. The RFs never move (well, rarely) and are beautiful! I have some pretty wild colors and you can get a clump of them together with no issues. The maxi mini I have is super cool (purple and green) but he's more like his big boy relatives, he kinda moves and sulks around. He's currently wedged into the back corner of my tank.

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of nems in a nano, you should look at rock flower nems and/or a maxi mini. The RFs never move (well, rarely) and are beautiful! I have some pretty wild colors and you can get a clump of them together with no issues. The maxi mini I have is super cool (purple and green) but he's more like his big boy relatives, he kinda moves and sulks around. He's currently wedged into the back corner of my tank.
I do have one rock flower but he actually moved under an overhang which is ok, because hes is SUPER HAPPY. I think the reflection of light off the back glass is supplying him with enough light for now, but its sucks because I cant see him unless I look from the side. But holy crap, when I do look at hime, he is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. I think I will stick with rock flowers from now on. Quick question, where in your tank do you have your rock flowers and whats their light/flow like?

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one rock flower but he actually moved under an overhang which is ok, because hes is SUPER HAPPY. I think the reflection of light off the back glass is supplying him with enough light for now, but its sucks because I cant see him unless I look from the side. But holy crap, when I do look at hime, he is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. I think I will stick with rock flowers from now on. Quick question, where in your tank do you have your rock flowers and whats their light/flow like?

My 12 gallon has a curved end (peninsula style AIO) so I run a laminar flow, with a sine wave pattern. I blast things with water, so my flow is pretty strong for a nano me thinks...they all posted up on the sides of some of my rocks, except for one that migrated to the top beside my torch, I'll snap a few pics for you here. I feed mine almost daily with frozen mysis. I know a lot of people say you don't need to feed them, but it seems to make them happier and it's one of my favorite things to do.

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. Your tank is beautiful. I love your torch, I wish I could afford torch prices right now. They're one of my favorite corals but I just cant justify $400 right now. Your rock flowers look awesome too. I love how since they move to where they're happy it looks so natural. Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my rock flower @BanjoBandito before he moved over to under the overhang. He is gorgeous, I love the orange coloration. I wish he would move back out into the light :(

Attachments

• tank 10.jpg
    tank 10.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 55

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. Your tank is beautiful. I love your torch, I wish I could afford torch prices right now. They're one of my favorite corals but I just cant justify $400 right now. Your rock flowers look awesome too. I love how since they move to where they're happy it looks so natural. Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.
I got that torch for 80 bucks (including shipping) from chaos aquaculture! I'm pretty sure it's a black light torch. There's nothing in there that cost more than 50 bucks plus some freight in that tank! I am not the guy to buy crazy expensive corals. I just try and be a savvy buyer! Thank you for the kind words, it's been a long journey with this little tank. It's about 9 months old now, and it's pretty much hassle free. I did just spot some bubble algae I have to deal with near one of my acans that isn't in the picture.

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got that torch for 80 bucks (including shipping) from chaos aquaculture! I'm pretty sure it's a black light torch. There's nothing in there that cost more than 50 bucks plus some freight in that tank! I am not the guy to buy crazy expensive corals. I just try and be a savvy buyer! Thank you for the kind words, it's been a long journey with this little tank. It's about 9 months old now, and it's pretty much hassle free. I did just spot some bubble algae I have to deal with near one of my acans that isn't in the picture.
I may have to spend the 89.99 for the torch on their site. I've never actually been on that website before.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I am really upset. I'm more upset that an innocent beautiful animal was killed because of my negligence and greed. I knew it was a terrible idea from the start and I did it anyway because I've had that clown/nem vision in my head for years. Lesson learned. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it
This is the hardest part of the hobby for me. The selfish impulse buys and losses of mine almost made me quit. Needless to say that I am way more cautious about purchases these days.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wouldnt say a BTA isnt doable in a 10 gallon with a sump, just unfortunate it decided to just run straight into the powerhead day 1

OP
OP
N

Nanoclowndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the hardest part of the hobby for me. The selfish impulse buys and losses of mine almost made me quit. Needless to say that I am way more cautious about purchases these days.
100%. Lesson was definitely learned for me, unfortunately it was at the expense of an innocent animal which is what really upsets me. I mean obviously I dont like throwing $50 away but thats not nearly as upsetting. But like you said, moving forward, I'm going to have more self control and make smarter choices.
I honestly wouldnt say a BTA isnt doable in a 10 gallon with a sump, just unfortunate it decided to just run straight into the powerhead day 1
Seriously! I was literally opening the package for the powerhead guard as I walked up which was a kick in the ****. I knew he was going to move around, that I was completely prepared for but I thought he would at least check out more of the rock work first.

Back