Dead Tomini Tang

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to find my Tomini dead. It was alive when I went to bed. It was added nearly a month ago, and seemed to be alive and mostly well until now. No obvious cause of death to me. It did have these odd spots on its side, but I couldn't tell what, if anything they were, and nothing spread to my other fish. I had seen it graze in the rock and eat nori as well.

My working guess is one of the other fish decided to kill it, for whatever reason, as it's the most peaceful fish in the tank. It's tank mates were a Dwarf lionfish, marine betta, flame hawkfish, lemonpeel angel, cleaner wrasse, and a greyfaced eel. I never witnessed any open hostility, but I also am not watching the tank most of the time.

When I found it, it looked as though the scales had been stripped off, don't know if that happened before or after death.

This is my first fish casualty, so I am a little worried about this.

DSC_0371.JPG

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.... Doesn't look like there is any major damage on the fish. Was the fish eating anything else besides nori?? Prepared frozen??

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the lionfish could have stung the tang?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.... Doesn't look like there is any major damage on the fish. Was the fish eating anything else besides nori?? Prepared frozen??

Yup, it ate selcon enriched mysis and brine, refused any pellet or flake. The picture of the other side isn't loading, but it looks much the same, just more scale is left.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the lionfish could have stung the tang?

They never really hung around eachother much that I recall, but it's definitely not impossible. I heard the dwarf fuzzies aren't terribly venomous, but I suppose that is a different story to a 2" fish.

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lionfish could have stung it or the eel could have come at it watch out for the lemonpeel he might be the next to go due to his size he looks and sounds perfectly healthy

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lionfish could have stung it or the eel could have come at it watch out for the lemonpeel he might be the next to go due to his size he looks and sounds perfectly healthy

Lemonpeel is about the same size as the Tomini, but I'm not overly worried about that one. Everything except the wrasse gives it space. While not my favorite fish, it's definitely the 'boss' of the tank. It even evicted the eel from its cave, so I had to put a new one in.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, more bad news. My lemonpeel is also dead. Found it in a cave on my lunch break. No damage, no missing scales, it was laying 2" away from where I found the Tomini. Don't think it was dead as long as it was still limp, while the tang was full rigor. Both were alive and well last night.

So, what kills two fish inches apart, possibly at different times, but leaves everything else in the tank fine, including hermit crabs and snails.

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, more bad news. My lemonpeel is also dead. Found it in a cave on my lunch break. No damage, no missing scales, it was laying 2" away from where I found the Tomini. Don't think it was dead as long as it was still limp, while the tang was full rigor. Both were alive and well last night.

So, what kills two fish inches apart, possibly at different times, but leaves everything else in the tank fine, including hermit crabs and snails.
It has to be the lionfish or the eel I knew this would happen how big is your marine betta I am afraid he would be the next in line

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has to be the lionfish or the eel I knew this would happen how big is your marine betta I am afraid he would be the next in line
Betta is 6 inches or so. Lion is 4-5. Since I introduced them, I haven't seen them anywhere near each other, Betta hangs out in the mid to upper area and the lion stays at the bottom. Which is where the tang and angel spent a lot of time.

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Betta is 6 inches or so. Lion is 4-5. Since I introduced them, I haven't seen them anywhere near each other, Betta hangs out in the mid to upper area and the lion stays at the bottom. Which is where the tang and angel spent a lot of time.
If he is that big you should be fine. Then the wrasse would be next try to observe the tank as much as you can then tell us then I could give you a certain prediction

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw your other post all levels seem to be fine the tank is large enough has to be the livestock

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe you have something bacterial going on in the tank.
Lets start with parameters , mainly:
Temperature, salinity, age of tank, ammonia. nitrate, and dipping finger in tank, , , Any stray voltage or jolt?
SIZE OF TANK ?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you have something bacterial going on in the tank.
Lets start with parameters , mainly:
Temperature, salinity, age of tank, ammonia. nitrate, and dipping finger in tank, , , Any stray voltage or jolt?
SIZE OF TANK ?

55 gallon
Salinity 1.023
Temp 76-77f
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40-80. High yes, but that's pretty typical for my tank, been trying to lower it. It's been higher before and didn't bother anything.
Age of the Tank, Betta, Lion and Eel have been in since February 8th, the others March 3rd. Cycle went very quickly, >2 weeks as I had a ton of cured liverock and bacteria cultures, I have never had an ammonia spike that I've noticed.
No stray voltage, only electric device I have in the water is the heater.
I was having some issues with cloudy water, nothing too extreme. I added a pack of Aquaclear Activated Carbon a couple days prior to the deaths and my water turned crystal clear.
I had almost forgot, but last week I also used some Reef Crest Aqua Weld to stick some of my more wobbly live rock together, but that stuff is aquarium safe, and nothing I read about it anyone mentioned it harming fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ouch. . a few things to give you insight- not insult you :
Tank is too new for any of this stocking. You have and have lost fish intended for a well seeded tank.
Salinity is low. Bring it up to at least 1.024, even 1.025
Temperature- 78-79 deg desired
Nitrate- as you noted a bit high.

ADD LIQUID BACTERIA (such as bacter 7)TO TANK EVERY OTHER DAY. ALSO ADD A POUCH OF CHEMIPURE BLUE TO SUMP TO POLISH WATER AND REDUCE NITRATE.

- WAS REFF CREST CURED ??

- what are you using for filtration if the heater is only electrical component you have ?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. . a few things to give you insight- not insult you :
Tank is too new for any of this stocking. You have and have lost fish intended for a well seeded tank.
Salinity is low. Bring it up to at least 1.024, even 1.025
Temperature- 78-79 deg desired
Nitrate- as you noted a bit high.

ADD LIQUID BACTERIA (such as bacter 7)TO TANK EVERY OTHER DAY. ALSO ADD A POUCH OF CHEMIPURE BLUE TO SUMP TO POLISH WATER AND REDUCE NITRATE.

- WAS REFF CREST CURED ??

- what are you using for filtration if the heater is only electrical component you have ?

Thanks, I'll adjust the salinity and temp.
Will try and source bacteria, most of my lfs's are shuttered at the moment, same with chemi pure, sounds like good stuff, though I do not have a sump, due to a lack of space.

The reef crest is a thermoplastic, cures in seconds.

Aquaclear 110, with the sponge, two phosphate remover pads, a bag of biomax beads and the activated carbon. It's a little full but has unchanged flow rate. By only electrical component I meant the only one with wires in the water.

Back